PDA

View Full Version : Fancy spark plugs!

MOP
12-27-2007, 08:56 PM
I grabbed tis link off OSO, kind of tells it like it is!

http://www.racingjunk.com/s/JohnsSaftyTip

f_inscreenname
12-28-2007, 08:29 PM
AC's for me. Like rounds in a chamber. :wink:
Thanks for posting MOP.

RedDog
12-28-2007, 11:23 PM
I put a new set of AC R43TS in when I winterized. I wanted the MR43TS but they weren't in stock. Used the R43TS. The "M" is for marine meaning SS body. Not really needed here

justleft
12-29-2007, 06:39 PM
Did that guy say run your plugs until almost melting and
then if temps go up it will melt ?!

Ummm, we always just read the plugs to choose mixture, timing and heat range.

The rally Audi 5 cyl turbos used a plug that had 2 seperate electrodes. ($57 each in 1980's money)
One on each side of the central electrode.
Audi said that this created two flame fronts and would
allow slightly more timing under boost conditions.
We used their setups so I never tested the theory.

But I do agree that most shade tree mechanics jump right
for the coldest plug they can find.

BigGrizzly
12-30-2007, 12:13 PM
The split tips and the ND hot U are just a gimmick. I have done extensive testing on this and heat range and indexing the plug is more beatifically a better idea. Over the years the plug tip has changed from extended to retracted and back again. My suggestion is if you don't have hours and hours and a dyno and a very high horse power engine just run the manufacture suggestion or equivalent. There is no better plug from one brand to another, just heat range and applications. Some engine combinations like one brand in one range better than others. In one test we ran 10 different types in the same engine, but the companies interchange was not the same so we had improvise. Result was no advantage in performance that was related to the spark plug. Yes I had the $57 spark plugs and got the same results with the $0.98- at the time generic brand.