PDA

View Full Version : Building Trades

Lenny
12-27-2007, 05:54 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So, a homeowner that I am doing 3 baths/library/utility room/kitchen for is back in town. (He was in Egypt)

So I am told the flooring is all done. All rooms.

Well yes, and no. The tile work is done, (NO grout space, tile is TIGHT :eek: ) and the rest is lino. Well, the lino was installed UPSIDE DOWN !!! Yes folks, upside down. There is a tile pattern on one side and none on the other. Well, the tile side is glued down :eek:

Now, I can't even to begin to fathom this but something else tops it all off.

The fridge was empty when I got there, I assumed it was because they had been away, (in Egypt) and maybe had turned off the power. Whatever. Anyways, the answer is no. The fridge was stocked full for ME, by them, for coming and doing this. 12 beer, there was a case of red wine, and a case of fine sherry. All gone... :( No hamburger,milk,butter,bagels, bread either.)

Seems that these "floor layers" had other things on their mind. Anyways, I am not installing it now, HE is ripping up the LINO, and the rest will play out however it does. I just need a fresh floor and then I can go back and revisit this project.

With sooo much construction here, (the likes of which has NEVER been seen) and trades from everywhere in Canada working here in town due to the fact that we do not have anywheres near the level (population) of qualified trades available to service this boom, I guess you get what you get :(

I'd be willing to bet that these guys that did the flooring were also snowboarders... :D

FOSTER
12-27-2007, 06:43 PM
What does it take to lay down a floor upside down?
One 12 pack of beer.
One case of wine and a case of fine sherry, sounds about right to me.

hardcrab
12-27-2007, 11:12 PM
Trade Secrect:
When laying tile, it's SHINEY side up.

LKSD
12-28-2007, 01:56 AM
I am not supprised (unfortunatley).. Many work ethics & even remote attention to detail seems to be uncommon today.. What does seem to be common is lots of slackers with poor work ethics, poor common sense & rampant ingmorance...

Much of this as bad as it sounds many times is the partially the fault of the people who let this happen to them or some that insist that the cheapest way out is the best.. (although sometimes the expensive places are guilty of screwing people as well)..

One of the few upsides to this type of abomination is that when one does good work, that there are some that openly appreciate it and can tell the difference.

Lenny it sounds to me as if you are one of the good guys & like us take pride in your work.. Im sure the home owner will see the difference & that the rejects that did the 1/2 assed work will get what they deserve.

happy holidays.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

maddad
12-28-2007, 10:53 AM
For the 25 years I've been doing home remodeling, and most likely way before, the business has been a hiding place for some really untalented swindlers. Being able to find and use the right people for a given job may be the most difficult part of any project. Those floor guys were probably hired by the type of person who thinks 4 awkward pieces of equipment are needed for a task, when 1 will do it faster, smoother and with far more style.:wavey:

Cuda
12-30-2007, 08:40 AM
I'd thought I'd seen it all in the construction trade.

A guy is supposed to phone me a credit card deposit today, to refinish these cabinets and counters. It's his rental house.

Cuda
12-30-2007, 05:30 PM
Whew! I had to do some selling. It's two brothers, one told the other one I was relaminating it. I explained to them, I was refinishing it. I have the contract, and the deposit in hand. They own four other rentals in Deltona, so I hope to get more work from them. He mentioned one bigger house, that they may want to tile it entirely.

Lenny
12-30-2007, 05:55 PM
They own four other rentals in Deltona, so I hope to get more work from them. He mentioned one bigger house, that they may want to tile it entirely.

GOOD "in" Joe :yes:

f_inscreenname
12-30-2007, 08:19 PM
I have been doing flooring for 22+ years and never saw a vinyl floor installed upside down. You have to get pictures so I can show the shop. :doh:
That being said it sounds like they got drunk off their asses and then one said to the other (like how it always starts), "you know what would be funny?"