PDA

View Full Version : 22ZX with 502 MPI

kramsay1234
12-24-2007, 02:31 AM
Hey guys. I am a recent noobie on this site, but love that its here and from reading the threads I have so far, it seems there are some great people on here.

I would like to ask if anyone on here has a 22ZX with a factory 502 Mag. It seems like they are a rare find and I know that the last few years were only available with the 350 Mag.

If anyone has one or knows about them, I have a couple of questions:

1) How rare is this boat? The one I am looking at is a 1999 and has 502 Magnum incorporated with Donzi ZX graphic and some other places on the boat that are apparantly factory. The only other 22ZX I have found with a 502 was one 1998, but thats it.

2) What kind of performance is anyone seeing from this boat with a 502 in it? I know from talking to the guys at Donzi that they seem to think there is not much difference between the 350 and the 454 in terms of top end. But no one knows about the 502, i guess because there were not many made.

Anyway, again wanted to say hello, and any info that anyone has for me on this setup would be great. I like to learn all I can. I am coming from a 21 (23 foot) scarab and have always liked the Donzi - I know, unlike most on this forum...

mikev
12-24-2007, 12:11 PM
They made them. Board memeber Shanghied Again (Frank C) had one that was even supercharged. he would be the guy to answer your questions.

kramsay1234
12-24-2007, 12:16 PM
Thanks. Hopefully some guys will chime in. I am most interested in how many were made with a 502 if anyone knows and also if the 502 magnum graphics on the boat are factory. I would love to get some production numbers. I know the hull id number shows that the boat is the 4th boat made for the 1999 model year.

From reading it seems like mid 70's is realistic for this boat and that a 26p Bravo 1 prop is the answer.

The Hedgehog
12-24-2007, 01:57 PM
I dunno but that is a darn good combo. I really love the 502mag. You can do lots of mods from mild to wild with that combo.

I think that Frank's was a Procharged 454mag. Not totally sure.

A Procharged 502 in a 22ZX would be a rocket ship.

I would think that you would see north of 70. With a refresh and bigger cam (500efi style), exhaust and a few few more goodies I would think it would run high 70's maybe 80 with no prob.

kramsay1234
12-24-2007, 02:50 PM
Thanks Green. I have a buddy who is a performance marine mechanic and says taking that 502 to 500hp is a joke. I have been reading about the step and turning with the trim in which can be a little horny on this boat. I would think anything 80 mph or north in this boat would be a "hang on" type ride.

This boat only has about 125 hrs on it so should still be plenty strong. What attracted me to the boat is the 502 because I like things that are rare. Just don't know how rare yet, and was surprised that Donzi couldn't tell me more. There has to be some production numbers somewhere...

The Hedgehog
12-24-2007, 05:42 PM
Thanks Green. I have a buddy who is a performance marine mechanic and says taking that 502 to 500hp is a joke. I have been reading about the step and turning with the trim in which can be a little horny on this boat. I would think anything 80 mph or north in this boat would be a "hang on" type ride.

This boat only has about 125 hrs on it so should still be plenty strong. What attracted me to the boat is the 502 because I like things that are rare. Just don't know how rare yet, and was surprised that Donzi couldn't tell me more. There has to be some production numbers somewhere...

Maybe Shangheid Again will chime in. He knows the boat well and has taken it to some pretty good speeds.

I have driven one with a 454 and liked it. Yes, it will spin out.

I am not sure about your buddy but I know a few that have done the 500hp conversion very successfully. I am in the process of using the 502 mag base for some big power (north of 800hp). I will be punching it to 555, using some Brodix heads, a blower and a big cam. With boost that platform has been taken to 1,000hp. Eddie Young is doing my work and he has spent considerable amount of time on the dyno with a 502. I am sure he would be happy to tell you what can and can not be done with the 502mag. It takes someone that is pretty good at programming the MEFI. Yes, it does have some limitations in the N.A. world but I am pretty sure that you could derive enough hp out of it to make it scary.

125 hours is low time for a 502. It is a stout engine. If the price is right it sounds like you have a good find.

I am thinking that you could do the heads (and keep the iron ones but have them reworked), cam, exhaust and have it reprogrammed. The end result would be a sleeper that looked mostly stock under the hatch that would water your eyes! With low time you could do it all without going into the bottom end.

kramsay1234
12-24-2007, 06:28 PM
Sounds like yours will be a monster. Whats going to determine whether I do anything to this engine is once I find out what a rare package this is as a factory original boat. I am always hesitant to fiddle with something that is already valuable and unique on its own graces. Once I get this info, then we will see. Doing the top end is probably the answer though because all this can be put back to stock if wanted. Great forum here. Even the guys at Donzi recommended I come on here. They said the people on here know more about them then most of the guys there. Thanks again.

The Hedgehog
12-24-2007, 06:59 PM
Sounds like yours will be a monster. Whats going to determine whether I do anything to this engine is once I find out what a rare package this is as a factory original boat. I am always hesitant to fiddle with something that is already valuable and unique on its own graces. Once I get this info, then we will see. Doing the top end is probably the answer though because all this can be put back to stock if wanted. Great forum here. Even the guys at Donzi recommended I come on here. They said the people on here know more about them then most of the guys there. Thanks again.

Factory original vs well appointed mods is always a good debate. You will find several schools of thought here. Basically in the end all will say it is your boat and do what makes you happy. Mods are cool and don't detract until you get into some of the truely unique older boats. Then that is a matter of opinion. No, there are some older hulls that I would try to keep all intact. I am probably not the one to discuss that matter as I have a 1973 X-18 with a new Merc 383/Bravo with External hydraulic steering and new gauges. Fusion of new and old. I think it is pretty hot! Many would say keep the Volvo and do it original. I chose the Hot Rod approach and love it. It hauls ass, looks cool, has a bunch of the classic Donzi charisma and starts when ever you turn the key.

BigGrizzly
12-26-2007, 10:41 AM
Baby Donzi has one. it runs well. My son has a Wipple charged 454 that runs in the bottom 80s. Works well for him. He is in the market for a bigger boat.

oldandtired
12-26-2007, 04:55 PM
Mine is a '98 that originally came with a 454. I dropped in a '96 502 mag that is stock except for headers. It runs a little over 76mph with a 27" mirage. External steering is a must at the higher speeds. Mine used to hunt around until I took care of the steering. I have never had any turning issures, but I don't crank hard on it at high speeds. It really is a fun boat.

Rene

RICPAZ
12-27-2007, 08:30 AM
I had a '99 that I ordered with the 502 Mag. It was a great boat and a blast to drive. In perfect conditions it would do about 75 to 77 mph at WOT. In flat water she would porpoise from about 65 to 73 mph but above low 70's she would ride smooth again. I think that was due to the heavy weight of the 502 in the rear end, but that was the only issue. Overall I thought it was very stable all the way up to WOT, although you would have to pay close attention once you were north of 70.

Mine had the standard red/black/white graphics. I don't think Donzi offered any "502 graphics" so that might have been done aftermarket, unless Donzi did a custom paint job.

Make sure it has hydraulic steering and trim tabs (hopefully with the mechanical indicators). Mine also had the low water pick-ups in the outdrive, another nice feature.

Overall the boat was great and I never had any regrets getting it with the 502. I wish I still had it today.

kramsay1234
12-29-2007, 08:48 AM
Mine sounds like the same boat. The graphics are standard white with red and blue and the DONZI ZX on the sides from the factory. It looks like the 502 graphics were added at the dealer or somewhere after and they are vinyl.

The boat looks like it has every option and does have the trim indicators for both the tabs and the drive located in the center gauge section. There is also hydraulic steering which is nice and maybe was either an option or something that came with everyone that ordered with the 502. Don't recall seeing low water pickups, but this could be a worthwhile add-on.

I am going to fiddle with props, etc. I think the factory drive ratio is 1.50 from what I have seen, so it sounds like yours with a standard setup and the 26p Bravo prop doing mid to high 70's is what I am after and I would be satisfied with this with the stock boat. I have the 26p 4 blade that it came with. Headers may help and I know there is some computer tuning that can be done to the 502 Mag that might push another mph or two. The water is hard north of Toronto where I am, so the boat will go away until spring and then I will get to try it.

Interesting about the 27 mirage noted above on the similar setup. I have read a lot so far against the 3 blade props with the step hull. I am hoping that whatever prop I go with the boat will come on plane quickly.

I had a '99 that I ordered with the 502 Mag. It was a great boat and a blast to drive. In perfect conditions it would do about 75 to 77 mph at WOT. In flat water she would porpoise from about 65 to 73 mph but above low 70's she would ride smooth again. I think that was due to the heavy weight of the 502 in the rear end, but that was the only issue. Overall I thought it was very stable all the way up to WOT, although you would have to pay close attention once you were north of 70.

Mine had the standard red/black/white graphics. I don't think Donzi offered any "502 graphics" so that might have been done aftermarket, unless Donzi did a custom paint job.

Make sure it has hydraulic steering and trim tabs (hopefully with the mechanical indicators). Mine also had the low water pick-ups in the outdrive, another nice feature.

Overall the boat was great and I never had any regrets getting it with the 502. I wish I still had it today.