PDA

View Full Version : exhaust manifolds

gero1
12-21-2007, 09:27 PM
with so many to choose from(cmi, emi, rmi, gil, sm,ect) is there one that really stands out and does what it says? moter is a 502 efi.....broke but winter time dreaming

The Hedgehog
12-21-2007, 10:56 PM
I went with the Dana's on mine. With the Vortex risers I get a total primary length of 27". I am pleased with the product so far.

I think that if you layed all the manifolds out the hp difference would not be too noticable (except for the stock). I chose mine for the bling factor. Not a bad price either.

I would say it depends on the application. If I was running in salt I would opt for Stainless Marine. I have heard nothing good about them.

If you want the header look, I like Lightning.

osur866
12-21-2007, 11:42 PM
I'm in the same delma mine is sbc but I'm really towrn between the emi's & sm either way a 80Lbs sertn weight savings can't be bad! Steve

The Hedgehog
12-22-2007, 02:42 PM
I'm in the same delma mine is sbc but I'm really towrn between the emi's & sm either way a 80Lbs sertn weight savings can't be bad! Steve

I think that the EMI's powdercoated to match your trim would look great on your 18. I would really like to see you do it so I can see the results. :wink: I am considering a similar approach for my X-18 but I will have to hold off on that for a while until I get the 26 done.:hangum:

gero1
12-23-2007, 07:52 AM
i only have dial up here... only rmi and dana have dyno numbers and i cant get the dana numbers to down load, waited 30 minutes and only had half of one page showing(out of 4) seems they all claim up to 40hp gain but must show no numbers. rmi shows only about a 10-12 hp gain on a dyno. whats the deal?

RedDog
12-23-2007, 08:15 AM
I assume you are wanting to keep your silent choice? That probably factors into the increased power in a negative manner vs an exhaust system that does support silent choice (longer runners).

Here is a nice option - http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=2523

undertaker
12-23-2007, 09:40 AM
Gero, I put polished Dana exhaust on my 496HO, IMO forget about the dyno numbers real world results at least in my boat was 2 MPH increase, higher pitch prop, and a lot more midrange.....but the MOST important was the bling factor...Dana's are a good bang for the buck, Stainless marine also, CMI'S are ok but a lot more jing:eek!::eek!:...bottom line exhaust is a great way to add more bling, hp increase is very minimial...good luck hope to see some new shine to drink and shine in the engine room....:wink::wink:

Undertaker:cool:

undertaker
12-23-2007, 09:43 AM
Oh yea Dana's will match up to your quick & quiet too, so will Stainless Marine I believe, CMI'S I think will also but have heard some lining up issues with the quick & quiet..:propeller:

gero1
12-24-2007, 08:12 AM
i like the look of the dana's and the sm

fasttrucker
12-24-2007, 02:30 PM
My Stainless-marine have been on my boat 5 yrs with no problems.I had the quick+quiet connected before my cam up-grade forced me to go to double lined staight pipes, which mix the water at the ends of the pipes.No water reversion.

BigGrizzly
12-26-2007, 10:48 AM
Gero, we put Stainless Marine on Bill Bateman's Bad Tat. blackhawk with the quick and quiet. It was a simple bolt on. No ECU modification needed. Tried and true system, and it took a bunch of weight off. He also then put a full closed cooling system on it and the boat is still lighter than with the stock exhausts. That is the way I would go.

gero1
12-27-2007, 06:42 AM
.....mr. poodle sir am i in trouble?