PDA

View Full Version : Batteries Brands, Types & Sizes

TXDONZI
12-19-2007, 07:05 AM
What are the majority of you guys running. What is the best brand, type and size? What would be sufficient and what would be overkill? How many batteries do you need when running an 800 watt audio system?

Tt

VetteLT193
12-19-2007, 07:33 AM
I like 2 regular batteries, but with an audio system like that you might consider a 3rd, with the 3rd battery being specifically for the stereo. If I went that route, I'd run 2 starting batteries of your choice, and the 3rd would be an optima yellow top or blue top.

If you want all optima's you can run all blue, or a combo of red top for starting and blue/yellow for the deep cycle stuff.

avanti
12-19-2007, 07:46 AM
I currently have five boats and I use Delco Voyager batteries in all of them. Two are Donzi Classics. Have not had to replaced a battery in three years.

BigGrizzly
12-19-2007, 09:50 AM
I use regular batteries, not Ultimas. I usually get 5 to 6 years out of a battery on a bad day. First I charge the battery before I install it regards weather it is pre charged or not. Next I use battery tenders of various types during non use periods. I no longer used sealed batteries. Very rarely do I use more than one battery. I usually carry a jump starter battery pack, never had to use it on my boat yet. I check the connections once a month for corrosion. I always try to get 875 CCA or higher batteries.

gcarter
12-19-2007, 12:59 PM
I usually buy mine at Wal Mart and get at least a three year replacement warranty. Then no matter where I am, there's always a Wal Mart around.
The older Classics have a box built in under the rear seat that fits a 27.
I like more battery rather than less.
I also like an isolater for multiple batteries. Then all the batteries will charge no matter how the switch is set.

TXDONZI
12-19-2007, 12:59 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. On the regular batteries ...are they group 24 or group 27? I was thinking of group 24's for the boat itself (1) regular with the highest CCA's I can find (1) combination type battery. I was thinking 24's to save room and weight. And for the audio system a Optima Blue top. This setup would have a battery switch only conecting the (2) 24's.

Or maybe a combination of group 24 and optima (1) regular with the highest CCA's I can find for the boat and (1) Optima blue top for the audio system. Then carry a jump start unit like Grizzly does. This would have a battery switch connecting the them both.

I guess the question would be...is one group 24 ok for the boat if maintained properly.

vonkamp
12-19-2007, 01:45 PM
I guess the question would be...is one group 24 ok for the boat if maintained properly.

I'm using a single group 24. But with an 800 watt audio system, I would get one more. :)

BTW, Poodle sells some nice Stainless Marine Battery mounts. :yes:

Forrest
12-19-2007, 02:56 PM
I'm runnig a pair of Optima blue tops in my Magnum, and they have lasted many years now, but when they go, I'm not sure if I'll pop the money for another pair, or maybe I'll just head down to Sams club and get whatever they are selling for a marine battery at the time. Also, I run a genereic group 27 deep-cycle battery with a battery combiner (allows two batteries to charge from one alternator) for the stereo. But now that the stereo died, I think that I'll probabaly ditch the extra battery and go back to listening to the lovely stereo sound of the twin 383s!