PDA

View Full Version : Questions - considering a Donzi

dbm_nj
12-17-2007, 05:20 PM
I am interested in buying a 16 or 18 ft Donzi but have some questions that will influence my decision.

1. Is theft a major problem with Donzis? :confused:

2. I intend to keep the boat on a mooring in a river - do any of you have experience keeping your boat on a mooring? Suggestions/concerns?

Morgan's Cloud
12-18-2007, 09:11 AM
Unfortunately I'm all too familiar with keeping boats on moorings ... and in salt water no less :shocking:
You are no doubt well aware that it brings up the dreaded discussion about 'bottom paint' and how it destroys the value of your boat :wink:
I'm sure most would say to only do it as an absolute last choice with no alternative .. what are some of the things (questions) going through your mind ?
As far as theft goes , I'm sure that over the years Donzi's have been very represented in the crime stats compared to other brands , but not living in the US it would be unfair to offer any more than that.
Steve

dbm_nj
12-19-2007, 03:19 PM
You are no doubt well aware that it brings up the dreaded discussion about 'bottom paint' and how it destroys the value of your boat :wink:...........
I'm sure most would say to only do it as an absolute last choice with no alternative .. what are some of the things (questions) going through your mind ?

1. Bottom paint is not a problem - I usually keep my boats until they have little resale value anyway.

2. How does one get into a Donzi from the water (not a dock)? The sides of these boats appear too wide to attach a metal folding ladder. :confused:

DonziFreak
12-19-2007, 06:24 PM
2. How does one get into a Donzi from the water (not a dock)? The sides of these boats appear too wide to attach a metal folding ladder. :confused:

I usualy climb right up the drive, using the eye-ring for a grab.

DonziJon
12-19-2007, 06:45 PM
New Jersey? Way back when, (1958) I lived there. What body of water are you talking about? I would not leave a small Donzi on a mooring unless you have the mooring out in front of your waterfront property....on fresh water.

Salt water (docked OR on a mooring) is a NO NO for a Donzi that can be trailered. IMHO. Salt water for a daytrip with FW flushing afterward is another topic. John

Carl C
12-19-2007, 09:24 PM
2. How does one get into a Donzi from the water (not a dock)? The sides of these boats appear too wide to attach a metal folding ladder. :confused::rlol::rlol::nilly:Any way you can.

CHACHI
12-20-2007, 06:26 AM
I usualy climb right up the drive, using the eye-ring for a grab.
Same.
Ken

Morgan's Cloud
12-20-2007, 06:49 AM
I'm guessing that you mean 'how do you get into the boat' from a standpoint of having been swimming or skiing ? If that's the case , the outdrive works fine , as the others have said.
Or are you referering to getting into the boat from the aspect of accessing it from the shore ? In which case you'll need a small dinghy.
Are you in salt , fresh or brackish water ?
Probably the single most important point is ensuring that your galvanic protection system is in perfect shape , all zincs clean and bonded and if you've got "mercathode' test it to make sure it's functioning.
A breathable semi-waterproof cover will pay for itself after the first season.
A minimum of one REALLY dependable auto bilge pump..
Now , what about that bottom paint ... hmmm ? (I'm not afraid to go there .... :popcorn:
Steve