PDA

View Full Version : Battery location suggestions?

harbormaster
12-17-2007, 06:52 AM
I am rigging the 22 Classic with right hand steering.
I am using two optima battery boxes.

Would you put them both on the port (left) side?

OR

would you put one on each side?

I was thinking both on port (left) side to simplify wiring and to offset my weight when boating alone.

Anyone have an opinion on this?

tmdog
12-17-2007, 07:15 AM
If mostly boating alone- -both batt. port side.

RedDog
12-17-2007, 07:37 AM
I rigged mine with one on each side, as close to the transom as I could get them.

BlownCrewCab
12-17-2007, 09:41 AM
I would mount 1 on each side, if you mount 2 together, then as soon as you add a person you have the weight of 2 batteries in the wrong spot. put 1 on each side, mounted as far outward as possible, why you ask??? lets say you had a bar as wide as your boat, you holding it in the middle, now hang a battey at each end and try to "seesaw" the bar, the farther out ward they are the harder it will be to get it to seesaw. if you move them inward the motion gets easier. so having them out and appart as far as possible helps chinewalking, crossing wakes at an angle, if you mount them forward of the motor they help to fly level. just my .02

Mike

RedDog
12-17-2007, 10:04 AM
... if you mount them forward of the motor they help to fly level...

In a 22 Classic you don't really want to fly level. Put them as far back as possible to move the CG backwards and to allow easier bow lift.

BigGrizzly
12-17-2007, 10:25 AM
I agree with brown especially on the fly part. the 22 needs to fly and ride level. the more power the more it is important. My only problem is I would not use Ultima battery there has been too much trouble with them. If I were running the Baha or a off shore race probably, but not in my application. Almost every body who puts them in a part time use application seems to have problems. Bad Tat has used them in various applications from his 16 his 22 and his truck, all went belly up.

BlownCrewCab
12-17-2007, 11:50 AM
I Had a red top in my crew cab, it went belly up after 13 months. For $80 I upgraded to a yellow top, I haven't had a problem from it "YET".

Pismo
12-17-2007, 12:20 PM
Whats the prop rotation?

Jamesbon
12-18-2007, 06:26 PM
...from first hand experience on my 99 22C...

The previous owner had two group 27's mounted on the stbd. side. She listed to that side quite a bit when driving alone. With my "co-pilot" at just over 100 lbs, I still had to drop the stbd. tab a bit to cruise at a "level" attitude. I re-located the 2nd battery to the port side and my problems almost disappeared. Even with her in the boat, I gotta drop the stbd tab just slightly to cruise level at anything under 40 mph. Above 40 and all is fine. Trim up and hold on! :eek!:

With that said, mount 1 on each side. With such a narrow beam, she is sensitive to weight distribution. If she's level without a load, you can use the tabs to correct for the weight of you and your passengers. I can't see any good reason to do anything other than that, unless your bottom is outta whack or you weigh 300+ and boat alone. ...And I know you have lost a bunch of weight :propeller:

Dash looks great! Keep up the great posts!

npartin
12-18-2007, 06:36 PM
...from first hand experience on my 99 22C...

The previous owner had two group 27's mounted on the stbd. side. She listed to that side quite a bit when driving alone. With my "co-pilot" at just over 100 lbs, I still had to drop the stbd. tab a bit to cruise at a "level" attitude. I re-located the 2nd battery to the port side and my problems almost disappeared. Even with her in the boat, I gotta drop the stbd tab just slightly to cruise level at anything under 40 mph. Above 40 and all is fine. Trim up and hold on! :eek!:

With that said, mount 1 on each side. With such a narrow beam, she is sensitive to weight distribution. If she's level without a load, you can use the tabs to correct for the weight of you and your passengers. I can't see any good reason to do anything other than that, unless your bottom is outta whack or you weigh 300+ and boat alone. ...And I know you have lost a bunch of weight :propeller:

Dash looks great! Keep up the great posts!

1 batery as far port to the rear as possible, one infront of engine centered under back seat if possible..

when i did BLKA4's 67 we put 2 grp 27's betwee the stringers.... without tabs and 2 people it was a dream.. alone it listed VERYSLIGHTLY to port (lh drive) I weigh 225 and 1 battery in oposite rear corner would have been PERFECT!!!

MOP
12-18-2007, 07:18 PM
Put them one each side back against the transom you will not regret it, it also allows a little more room to get at stuff as they are kind of out of the way.

Phil

boxy
12-18-2007, 07:51 PM
Mount them on the opposite side from the 2 stroke oil tank...

Where's he gonna mount the oil tank?? :hangum:
The first one was funny, the second one was just being mean ...... :D :D

penbroke
12-18-2007, 07:54 PM
Where's he gonna mount the oil tank?? :hangum:

Maybe he's just gonna add the proper amount of oil to the main fuel tank at each fillup just like the old days...

Batterys: one each side. Rarely perfect but never more that half wrong.

Frank :lookaroun:

harbormaster
12-18-2007, 09:08 PM
:wink:Did I mention that the 'canes Suck????:eek!:

MOP
12-18-2007, 10:10 PM
The fuzzy one is trying to snag Don Tamm's title of SMACK MASTER :lightning

RickSE
12-19-2007, 01:49 PM
Here's where the factory put my batteries. The port side battery is a pain since it's always in the way but then my boat doesn't need anymore weight aft. I believe the factory is trying to center the batteries with the CG of the motor.

I run Optima's in my boat and race car. The last red-top in the race car lived for over 12-years.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13372&d=1122009702