PDA

View Full Version : Bronco update

Donziweasel
12-16-2007, 07:38 PM
Been working on it off and on all week. Finally got it ready for the body to come off. First I have to weld in some supports so the body won't bend or warp.

Overall, the body is a complete mess. Rust everywhere. Chassis and frame are in good shape. I have a lot of welding, grinding and cutting ahead of me. Luckily, body parts, except the hood and grille, are pretty cheap. All of the electrical has been removed and will be replaced.

Going to get the body off and then start on the chassis. Sandblasted down, painted, all running gear removed. Transfer case and transmission to get rebuilt. Axles bearings replaced. Once the frame and chassis are done, then I will start on the body and finally the engine. The body will take at least a month. Bummer, but much like any classic, be it boat or bronco, I believe it is worth saving. Maybe I will let Don borrow it when he comes to hunt next fall if he helps me a little when he comes to ski in January!:wink: Just kidding.

Lenny
12-16-2007, 08:04 PM
I'll take a couple of pics of my 2 neighbours ones. The yellow one (same as yours) and the old light blue one.

They really are cool.

glashole
12-17-2007, 02:44 PM
I love mine :)

Donziweasel
12-17-2007, 06:15 PM
Nice Bronc GH. Where did you get the plow? Might need one of those next winter.

Welded in a bunch of cross and lateral braces and will hopefully have the body off tommorrow.

glashole
12-18-2007, 07:06 AM
I wounld't actually say "nice" but it does work great and gets the job done

I got it off an older guy up by North Bay (Ontario) who had been using it to plow his laneway for the past 19 years

He must have put the plow on because it everthing looks to be about that old
I added the hydraulics to make it move left and right

4 wheel locked differentials, chains and a 302 make it pretty unstoppable

good times

Donziweasel
12-18-2007, 11:39 AM
Is it an Auto or manual trans? How does it do pushing snow? Did you put the diff lockers on or did it come that way?

glashole
12-18-2007, 12:30 PM
it has an automatic tranny - not sure how to tell which one or style

It came to me with the lockers

Based on the guy I got it from I wouldn't imagine he had them installed
Is it possible they came from the factory with them?
The front could be a limited slip but it works alot like a locker and will dig 2 holes when pushed :)

(as a side note, it has dug 2 holes into the ice<on a lake> and hung itself up when the chains are on and whatever we are pulling stops the truck from forward progress) :bonk:

as far as snow

I only have a 7ft blade on it and it will basically push whatever is in front of it
in my opinion the truck isn't heavy enough to push a larger blade than 7 ft
and I do run into issues if I have to push over 2 ft of snow because it needs a bit of a run at it (again a weight issue)

all being said the only issue with plowing I would say is the overall weight of the truck would be too light for heavy duty plowing but for everyday use it works fine
nothing else will hold it back

keep up the pictures of your resto

Shea