PDA

View Full Version : Southerners...

Tony
12-16-2007, 01:59 PM
...admit it now, you really do miss the "seasons", now don't you?!!

:beer:

TXDONZI
12-16-2007, 02:18 PM
Getting ready to go ride the Ultra Classis or it could the 22 Classic!!!!! Wife says Ultra though.

Who am I to argue right.

roadtrip se
12-16-2007, 02:21 PM
but Jill had to get back to Detroit for meetings early in the week, so she ran up I75 yesterday.

Interesting running her through how to get the JD GT with blower started over the phone, but she managed.

We got our white Christmas!

Barry Eller
12-16-2007, 05:09 PM
Let me think about that...1 second...2 seconds...nope.:biggrin.:
We had snow here in NW Florida back in 1993. It stuck for about 3 hours. Haven't seen it since.
It looks beautiful!
Did you shovel the driveway, or do you have a machine to do that?

Rootsy
12-16-2007, 05:47 PM
but Jill had to get back to Detroit for meetings early in the week, so she ran up I75 yesterday.
Interesting running her through how to get the JD GT with blower started over the phone, but she managed.
We got our white Christmas!

Over here we know better than to bring a knife to a gunfight... :yes:

dfunde01
12-16-2007, 06:34 PM

We have all four seasons. Low tonight in the 20's.

Carl C
12-16-2007, 06:50 PM
I wouldn't miss this sh!t one bit.....................:doh::(

Last Tango
12-16-2007, 07:00 PM
In Northeast Florida we only have three seasons: Football Season, Spring Training Season, and Huricanne Season. ALL of them are boating seasons.

Tony
12-16-2007, 07:20 PM
Did you shovel the driveway, or do you have a machine to do that?

Oh, yeah, we got machines...snow machines, snow throwin' machines, the works!
Trouble is, last time I used my snowblower I leaked fuel all over the driveway and sidewalks. So I call Sears and order a $30 carburator repair kit, and when it comes I see that it has about 20 tiny little parts in it. I haven't tackled the rebuild yet...I am scared of small parts! I guess I would never make a good watch repairman.

The good news is, with the wind following the 12" of snow and plugging up the back roads, my wife and I both have no school tomorrow. So, bust out the ****tails!!!

Cuda
12-16-2007, 07:42 PM
I've never had to shovel sunshine out of my driveway! :)

I lived in Oregon a couple of years. I'd miss snow like I'd miss a mole cut off my azz! :eek!: :)

fegettes
12-17-2007, 04:15 AM

I like the snow and cold when I can go visit, and come right back home.

I'm at the last stop on the mainland before entering the Keys. You are welcome to come and warm up and go for a boat ride any time you want.

Steve

pmreed
12-17-2007, 09:52 AM
Had the porch doors open while watching the Jags beat the Steelers. When the wind off the lake brought the temp down to 67 outslde, I closed the doors; I was freezing!! If I wanted seasons, I'd move to where they have'em. I try not to go north of Orlando from Oct through March.

Phil

Tony
12-17-2007, 09:28 PM
In Northeast Florida we only have three seasons: Football Season, Spring Training Season, and Huricanne Season.

If you add wildfire season and tourist season, you'd have five...one more than anyone else!

DonziFreak
12-17-2007, 09:38 PM
If you add wildfire season and tourist season, you'd have five...one more than anyone else!

Smartass....haha....but it is true! :biggrin.:

goatee
12-18-2007, 11:09 PM
i quit shoveling.. i bought a 4 wheel drive

roadtrip se
12-19-2007, 11:53 AM
I'm off for the rest of the year, so time to tackle a couple of projects around the great white north.

We are working on a big table for the dining room at the lake house. Gero came up with truly awesome, two inch thick, curly maple planks for the top. We have it bisqueted and glued together, sanded and oiled. It is beautiful and ready for finishing.

After a lot of back and forth on the legs, I volunteered to cut up a cherry tree on the back of my lot in Michigan for the wood stock.

Then came the snow. And this is my week to get this task accomplished. So how in the **ll do I get these things out of the woods? Excursion, JD tractor, and the Gator were all considered with combinations of tire chains, four wheel drive, and knobby snow tires. No dice. Too many trees, too much snow, just to many variables.

So I am discussing my predicament with my hair stylist yesterday afternoon, feeling pretty much skunked. She mentioned that growing up around Traverse City that they used to move wood logs around on an upside down car hood.
Bing! And the light goes on. I have a toboggan.

Leave it to a woman to have the simplest, and most effective idea for how to solve a problem.

So six logs are cut as of this morning, about 12"x40", and I will be dragging them behind on the sled this afternoon. If I don't stroke out, you guys will have a very nice table to eat off of for the pre-AOTH festivities.

Now getting them into the truck is a different story.

HO! HO! HO! Let it snow!

RedDog
12-19-2007, 12:08 PM
So I am discussing my predicament with my hair stylist ...

Hair stylist and lumber jack stories :doh:

I don't know where to begin :hangum:

Tony
12-19-2007, 12:39 PM
Years ago my brother and I made some black walnut lamps, turned on a lathe. They were beautiful! But then, sitting around the living room, for the next year or so, we would hear this huge crack as the wood dried and "checked", with some of the cracks a quarter or half inch wide.

Moral of the story is...either use kiln-dried lumber, or if not be ready to accept some pretty substantial "checking" as the wood air dries.

P.S. Todd, the 2 inch maple tabletop sounds very cool. What finish are you planning for it? Since you've already "oiled" it, be careful if using a poly over the oil...as the oil must be fully soaked in and dried up before a "sealing" final coat.

FOSTER
12-19-2007, 12:50 PM
Somebody say they miss having snow for Xmas?
We deliver you shovel.

BUIZILLA
12-19-2007, 01:06 PM
wimp's... :propeller: :doh:

roadtrip se
12-19-2007, 01:49 PM
Just because I take the advice of a fine woman? I have more tools to take care of the TWO state parks that I live at, than I care to admit, AND I certainly wasn't figuring it out with all of that stuff available to me.

I just finished cutting and hauling these little sticks out of the back of my property, BY HAND. And it is about thirty degrees out. AND I was out in it for about five hours. And I am building my own fricking table AS opposed to going to Ethan Allan with momma and whipping out the check book, like a lot of card carriers would do here. I think I should be awarded a SUPPLEMENTAL MAN CARD for having the kahoonies to tackle this stuff. You Mason Dixon types starting whining when it gets below 50 degrees!

Tony, I hear you on the cracking part. We tried to kiln dry a huge piece of red oak for use as a mantel at the lake. It split three times, before we said heck with it and put the fourth one up. It was just too big to completely bake in a kiln. It only took five MAN CARD carriers from here to put her up. It has cracked a little, but still looks great. The cherry is going to an amish kiln for drying and cutting. Thanks for the tip on the oil reacting with the finish.

BUIZILLA
12-19-2007, 03:36 PM
sooooooooooo......

ya admit ya got a toboggan....

ya admit ya got a gator....

ya admit ya took good advice from a better half...

and ya still drug them out by hand, and you now want your man card stamped???

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

no

:cool:

Rootsy
12-20-2007, 06:23 AM
Just because I take the advice of a fine woman? I have more tools to take care of the TWO state parks that I live at, than I care to admit, AND I certainly wasn't figuring it out with all of that stuff available to me.
I just finished cutting and hauling these little sticks out of the back of my property, BY HAND. And it is about thirty degrees out. AND I was out in it for about five hours. And I am building my own fricking table AS opposed to going to Ethan Allan with momma and whipping out the check book, like a lot of card carriers would do here. I think I should be awarded a SUPPLEMENTAL MAN CARD for having the kahoonies to tackle this stuff. You Mason Dixon types starting whining when it gets below 50 degrees!
Tony, I hear you on the cracking part. We tried to kiln dry a huge piece of red oak for use as a mantel at the lake. It split three times, before we said heck with it and put the fourth one up. It was just too big to completely bake in a kiln. It only took five MAN CARD carriers from here to put her up. It has cracked a little, but still looks great. The cherry is going to an amish kiln for drying and cutting. Thanks for the tip on the oil reacting with the finish.

If you are still seeing splitting issues, seal the end grain with a heavy coat of bees wax or commercially available end grain sealant for the purpose. Same thing that you're going to have to do if you let that cherry air dry for the next few years or so once it is rough sawn. Always been told that rule of thumb is something like 1 year per inch thickness of wood for air drying.

I am sure Super Lenny can give you the entire low down ;)

harbormaster
12-20-2007, 07:18 AM
We have 2 seasons down here.....

2 Freakin' Hot and 2 freaking cold.
At least snow is fun for a little bit....

roadtrip se
12-20-2007, 08:47 AM
and the joy of the holiday season.

Okay, take my card, I'm good with it.

Next time I have a little winter project like this one that requires some logistics, I'll call in the experts from FLA.
By the way it is warming up right now to a nice sunny, sixteen degrees. You guys might want to pack more than long sleeve t-shirts.

Great day for a little time in the north woods.

By the way, we had some Texans show up here a few years ago in January. They still talk about how one side of the steak was frozen on the grill, while the other side was cooking! The martinis stay cold though!

BUIZILLA
12-20-2007, 09:29 AM
you cleverly avoided the fuel fill question... :shark:

BUIZILLA
12-20-2007, 11:07 AM
:smash: brat...

wannabe
12-21-2007, 04:01 PM
Florida is a nice place to visit!!!!!!! Not my cup of tea in July and August.

hardcrab
12-21-2007, 04:11 PM
Florida in July and August is a sweet relief from the humidity in Maryland

gcarter
12-21-2007, 06:30 PM
Undoubtedly the WORST July I've ever spent was in Maine this last summer. There was not an airconditioner in sight!!!! I won't do that again.