PDA

View Full Version : MARINE Starters & Alternators1

MOP
12-16-2007, 01:16 PM
Since another thread was ambushed with this I figured I would put a not out where it can be easily found!
Fo the guy & dolls that don't know marine starters and alternators have seals and spark arrestor features that automotive units do not! You very life can well depend upon the use of the proper components, any electrical item aboard must be USCG approved. This sure in hell is not a joke and VERY important, the few $$ you save using auto can ruin the rest of your life! I do not know how else to word it to get that point across, I have been on the fuel docks at my old place of work when one of the Geniuses boats blew the deck hatches 25 feet in the air and caught fire.

PLEASE PLEASE USE THE RIGHT STUFF!

M.O.P.

DonziFreak
12-16-2007, 02:43 PM
Some other things could prevent things like the incident you witnessed....like NOT relying soley on blowers.....but also opening the engine hatch when going to do your initial start-up and at any point after the boat sits for a while without running. Marine starters and alternators don't entirely prevent accidents, but COMMON SENSE does!

DonziJon
12-16-2007, 06:42 PM
I don't rely on no freakin blowers..WAY TOO SLOW....there might be some bloak behind me waiting to re-fuel (or launch) and maybe it's Hot, Yada Yada. I use MY NOSE. When I'm done refueling....OR...maybe if I just arrived at the ramp to launch, ...I open the hatch and stick my FACE down there and SNIFF. Then....... I light it off. Common Sence. :smash: John

justleft
12-16-2007, 07:07 PM
The same can be said for auto relays. You know, the ones the have
the black box with the diagram on the side. Most are vented. Blam !

Use sealed ones or go solid state.

Cuda
12-16-2007, 07:31 PM
I rely on all three. I start running the blower while I'm still on the trailer, about to back it, then I lift the hatch, and I only have marine starters, and alternators. A burning boat is the only thing that would make me abandon ship. Even a big hole in the boat taking on water, will most likely trap enough air up front to keep it afloat.

BigGrizzly
12-17-2007, 10:48 AM
A old sea Captain who used to captain for the Carnige and Rockafeller families told me the best prevention is the nose. so use it. He once told me that all the spark shielding in a boat doesn't help with a fuel leak. Remember the fumes are the problem! I always open my hatch and smell first.

vonkamp
12-17-2007, 04:55 PM
Great subject! mabey this should be a "sticky".