PDA

View Full Version : Mixed Emotions

Cuda
12-14-2007, 08:48 AM
It's a sad, but happy day for me. I think I sold the Formula to a guy in Tennessee this morning. I sold it for half what I think it's worth, but I need the money a lot worse than I need the boat.

RedDog
12-14-2007, 09:45 AM
Where is it going in TN? Maybe I can visit it for you...

Cuda
12-14-2007, 09:52 AM
Where is it going in TN? Maybe I can visit it for you...
He told me, but I've forgotten. It's on the Tenn/Ken border somewhere.

joel3078
12-14-2007, 10:01 AM
Joe it sucks I know. At least it wasn't a house in forclosure. We have a TON of that going on up here in the frozen wasteland. I'm trying to keep myself situated so I can keep my black widow but right now it's upgly. I don't see the economy getting better for awhile either.

Cuda
12-14-2007, 04:04 PM
Joe it sucks I know. At least it wasn't a house in forclosure. We have a TON of that going on up here in the frozen wasteland. I'm trying to keep myself situated so I can keep my black widow but right now it's upgly. I don't see the economy getting better for awhile either.
I'm late on my mortgage payment also, but I don't think they will get serious for a while. Hopefully one of the damn slow paying GC's will come clean. One was supposed to pay me $16.5k last week. I called them yesterday, and they claimed they didn't have the paper work, but I KNOW they had it, because I drove 110 miles to thier office a few weeks ago, to pick up another check, and I hand delivered their invoice to them. I'm beginning to hate these GC's.:mad:

glashole
12-14-2007, 04:19 PM
If it makes you feel any better some GC are like that in Canada too :mad:

2 best days in a boater's life

the day he buys his boat
and the day he sells his boat :)

Donziweasel
12-14-2007, 05:05 PM
Gc???

osur866
12-14-2007, 05:08 PM
general contractor

DonziChris
12-14-2007, 05:32 PM
Sorry to hear that Joe, Things are not any better up here in michigan. Hope things turn around for you.
Chris

Donziweasel
12-14-2007, 05:36 PM
AHHH.... Joe, really sorry to hear you had to sell the Formula. As a business owner, I know how hard it can be to get paid for any type of contracted work. In transportation, it is like pulling teeth. I've been on the verge of bankruptcy after 9/11 and somehow fought back (got drunk and pissed one night and decided I'll be damned if I am going to be another casualty of 9/11, the next day I was supposed to meet with the lawyer and with a major hangover called him and told him I had reconsiderd and would not be declaring bankruptcy. Put my house up for a loan and somehow survived.) Boo Boo and I truley hope things get better. Tell Debbie hello and happy holidays from the Pearson's.:)

PS, did you ever get your Hogzilla?

2biguns
12-15-2007, 01:48 PM
I'm late on my mortgage payment also, but I don't think they will get serious for a while. Hopefully one of the damn slow paying GC's will come clean. One was supposed to pay me $16.5k last week. I called them yesterday, and they claimed they didn't have the paper work, but I KNOW they had it, because I drove 110 miles to thier office a few weeks ago, to pick up another check, and I hand delivered their invoice to them. I'm beginning to hate these GC's.:mad:

Is it too late to file a lien against the property? Not sure what Fla laws are but up here, if your contract was with the contractor & not the property owner, you have to act pretty quickly and can have a lien against any unpaid balance owing the contractor by the property owner. If you give notice to the property owner of the work prior to performance, there is a way for the lien to attach to the property. I advise all of my construction clients to put the owner on notice and get an independent contract with the property owner if at all possible.

Times are rough all over. I used to do a ton of work for clients based on their promise to pay when the work was done. I've changed my office policy and won't put a word to paper without being paid up front. One of my law school professors used to talk about his days of private practice. He lived by the motto, "I can be busy and I can be broke but I"ll be damned if I'll be both." I'm sick and tired of busting my ass trying to help folks (especially in divorce/domestic situations) only to be screwed by them in the end.

Good luck. I've got some classmates who are practicing in Fla. I'd be glad to try to find one and see what the Fla lien laws are if you need it.

Steve

Cuda
12-15-2007, 07:04 PM
Is it too late to file a lien against the property? Not sure what Fla laws are but up here, if your contract was with the contractor & not the property owner, you have to act pretty quickly and can have a lien against any unpaid balance owing the contractor by the property owner. If you give notice to the property owner of the work prior to performance, there is a way for the lien to attach to the property. I advise all of my construction clients to put the owner on notice
I am one day past the time I had to file Notice to Owner.:garfield:

I'm sure I'll get paid, it would take me longet to take it to court. They are just giving me the paper dance.:mad:

gcarter
12-16-2007, 07:02 AM
Well Joe, in one respect you're fortunate you don't have 10 full time employees. Every week they expect to get paid.:garfield:
We've had many long discussions this year about that fact.

Cuda
12-18-2007, 06:16 PM
Well Joe, in one respect you're fortunate you don't have 10 full time employees. Every week they expect to get paid.:garfield:
We've had many long discussions this year about that fact.
I had to call my 75 year old mother, to ask for a loan on her birthday, just to make last week's payroll.:mad::mad::mad:

yeller
12-18-2007, 09:22 PM
I had to call my 75 year old mother, to ask for a loan on her birthday, just to make last week's payroll.:mad::mad::mad:Aahhh....the Bank of Mom. Used it many times myself. Great rates. :wink:

MOP
12-18-2007, 09:48 PM
Joe sorry you had to let it go, you had a ton of work into it. I for one hope it is going to a good home! There are a lot of people not doing that great right now, lets hope it gets better soon but I doubt it:(