PDA

View Full Version : Hobbies and Projects

DonziFreak
12-14-2007, 08:24 AM
Knowing that I have way to much time on my hands, and that maybe some people here do too (just a guess :biggrin: ) i figured why not start a thread about some of our "other" hobbies and intrests, or even about little projects we have going on. And ya never know, maybe we will draw others into some of our other hobbies! So, with that being said, let me kick it off :wink:

Besides the Donzi, I (and family) race boats across America and, during the few off months we have, am currently "attempting" to restore a 1974 Trans-Am with a stock Pontiac 400 Big-Block.... I also ride motorcycles from time to time and build a R/C boat here and there.... I have some R/C trucks, but havn't run them in a while.

Lets see what the nexts person does for fun! :propeller:

Carl C
12-14-2007, 08:33 AM
I spent the last 3 winters remodeling my home. This year I decided to keep my northern Michigan cabin open year round and have been enjoyind a couple days of rest each week. Northern Mi is a winter, water wonderland this time of year! So beautiful and peaceful with the tourists and snowbirds gone. This week it snowed so I cacooned and watched DVDs for two days. I'll post some pics when I get a good pic day. Not a hobby or project, just some time to enjoy life and nature's beauty while the boat is down. No project this winter:yippie:

chappy
12-14-2007, 08:34 AM
Building a garage, trying to sell my house to buy a larger one, shopping for an engagement ring:doh: (I'll send a man card to anyone who wants mine), putting new pipes on the 1200 Roadster, and hopefully I'll find time to paint my outdrive this winter.

Donziweasel
12-14-2007, 09:04 AM
Restoring a 1968 Bronco with a lot of cancer on the body.

Also, designing and building the "Lazy P" ranch. Included is 1000 sq ft guest cabin, 2500 sq ft shop and 2700 sq ft main cabin with 700 sq ft attached garage. I think this project is going to drive me crazy or a divorce.

Morgan's Cloud
12-14-2007, 09:30 AM
Trying to grow pineapples from scratch .... Pity it takes two years even if conditions are optimal. You'll never eat a storebought one again !

zelatore
12-14-2007, 10:00 AM
Bikes.

Right now in the garage:

2006 Triumph Speed Triple
2003 Suzuki SV650
1996 Triumph Adventurer (done as a cafe' racer)
1987 Honda XL250R
(with plans to add a touring bike a la FJR1300 and a new Bonneville)

Once I recover from some current big expenses (new car, remodeling the house, bought some extra land) we're planning to build a large 4 car garage complete with lift. The lift is so I can get back to what I really love: sports cars. I used to race an Alfa GTV6; this time I think I'd like to go with a step-nose GTV.

But that's still a couple years away. Who knows what will intervene before then?

zelatore
12-14-2007, 10:01 AM
Trying to grow pineapples from scratch .... Pity it takes two years even if conditions are optimal. You'll never eat a storebought one again !

I have no desire to go through the hassel of trying to grow one, but my mouth is watering thinking of the pay-off!

mmmm...pineapple.

DonziFreak
12-14-2007, 02:05 PM
My god.....you all are far more busy than I am.....haha!

Anyways, keep em coming! :biggrin:

justleft
12-14-2007, 03:00 PM
Here's mine

-86 Donzi 22c - fixing a ton of problems, mostly elect., almost done........
-73 Porsche 914-6 conversion, 2.7 w/webers, 930 suspension & brakes, etc, etc, working on metal flares now. :bonk:
-91 Audi Coupe Quattro rally car (very rare)

- 86 Honda CBR 600R - in storage

Sold

'78 Alfa Romeo Alfetta Sedan (1 of 78) A very sweet ride !!!
'67 Alfa Duetto (needed work) (1 of 3) I imported form Canada
'87 Hydrostream Vegas - pad bottom, very thrilling ride !!!!!!
'87 Larry Smith Scarab 34', semi-c0ckpit, twin Inovation 468 blower motors, TRS - Wonderful boat but was sucking my bank acount dry !!!

Oh yea, the 4 car garage/shop after the housing market falls apart and I can get cheap materials/labor.

Forrest
12-14-2007, 04:08 PM
Currently my other hobbies include:

Remodeling a one-owner house with Ginny built in 1953 where everything is uh . . original. Maybe we'll even get lucky and sell it in about six-months once it's done.

For many years, almost as long as I've been in to Donzis and Magnums and the like, I have also been into two-channel hi-fi. To take that hobby one step further, I'm now in the process of totally rebuilding a couple of early 1980's Threshold stereo power-amplifiers. Also, thank to eBay, I seem to be collecting these things as well, along with stuff like an old Tektronix 475 oscillosocpe, a function generator, an autotransformer, DMMs, solder station, and ton of parts from Mouser.com and Digi-Key.com. Also, I have found that I've been hanging out at places like http://www.diyaudio.com trying to learn a thing or two.

Hopefully, once the house remodeling is done and flipped, I can settle down and unwind to a relaxing restoration and repowering of my X-18 in waiting.:crossfing:

zelatore
12-14-2007, 04:18 PM
Here's mine
-86 Donzi 22c - fixing a ton of problems, mostly elect., almost done........
-73 Porsche 914-6 conversion, 2.7 w/webers, 930 suspension & brakes, etc, etc, working on metal flares now. :bonk:
-91 Audi Coupe Quattro rally car (very rare)
- 86 Honda CBR 600R - in storage
Sold
'78 Alfa Romeo Alfetta Sedan (1 of 78) A very sweet ride !!!
'67 Alfa Duetto (needed work) (1 of 3) I imported form Canada
'87 Hydrostream Vegas - pad bottom, very thrilling ride !!!!!!
'87 Larry Smith Scarab 34', semi-c0ckpit, twin Inovation 468 blower motors, TRS - Wonderful boat but was sucking my bank acount dry !!!
Oh yea, the 4 car garage/shop after the housing market falls apart and I can get cheap materials/labor.

Justleft - Do you run SCCA ProRally with the Audi? I always wanted to try rally. The guys in the FIA world rally have to be the best pure drivers in the world.

Are you sure on the numbers on the Alfas? Heck, I sold my '77(?) Alfetta Sedan for $1. Technically, I still own 3 Alfetta coupes. They're slowly decomosing on Dick Kirzinger's 'Alfarm' in central Kentucky. Throw in a couple Milanos and GTV6's (the last one with a 3.0) and some spiders and it's best not to think about all the Alfa's I've had.

gold-n-rod
12-14-2007, 08:55 PM
I have 2 other sicknesses.

My '95 Trans Am convert is currently under wraps in the garage. With a 17 yo male offspring in the house, I want no temptations to re-create Ferris Beuler's Day Off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New to the fleet is a '77 Nova. Some pics were posted here last month. It's a pretty rare beast and I am going to throw myself to the mercy of the national points judges. A few national shows (and maybe a Super Chevy show) are in next summer's plans.

That's all. :smash::smash::smash:

Lenny
12-14-2007, 09:01 PM
unwind to a relaxing restoration and repowering of my X-18 in waiting.:crossfing:

Forrest, why not relax a little bit more and just sell it to me as is and leave me with the journey :D

Keep that in the back of your mind. :)

DonziFreak
12-14-2007, 09:59 PM
Forrest, why not relax a little bit more and just sell it to me as is and leave me with the journey :D
Keep that in the back of your mind. :)

Lenny is the evil voice in the back of your head always screaming "sell me your boat! sell me your boat! sell me your boat!" :nilly::doh::nilly:

But! You may just be able to resist it! :biggrin.:

McGary911
12-15-2007, 10:27 AM
Right now some stuff is in limbo, as I'm in the process of selling my condos in NJ and in Tampa. After that, I'll get a house with a GARAGE. I still have a '78 911 SC up in NJ. I haven't driven it in years. No time. I'm on the fence as to whether I should sell it or bring it down here and fix it up. Guess that will depend on the condo stuff. And yes, i used to autocross the heck out of that car poodle. Great hobby.

I have a remote control boat and airplane I like to play with.

I also have a have a big interest in watches and have a small collection. It can be an expensive hobby, but at least the engines and outdrives don't blow :crossfing:

Justleft, you have any pics of the Audi and the 914? I've owned 3 914s in my life and love those things...they make great autocrossers too. Never saw the '91 quattro, but remember around 84 when the quattors were tearing up the european rally circuit with both SWB and LWB versions. I always liked those cars.......

Yeah, I gotta get me a garage!

gcarter
12-15-2007, 05:59 PM
Laine raised some pineapples from scratch......and after two seasons of care they didn't taste as good as from the store.
Probably our soil.......

1988 Donzi Testa Rossa in 1000 pieces.....well at least 950 pieces.
Liable to be a lot more as I buy parts to replace a lot of these pieces.

DonziJon
12-15-2007, 06:50 PM
DAM: There are more old farts on this board than I thought. Maybe things are looking up.:smash: John

zelatore
12-15-2007, 06:51 PM
That's one mean go-cart there Poodle. I love those things.

The first time I drove one, I came back thinking 'that's the closest any car has come to my bike'. At least in terms of dicing traffic.

Personally, I never was very good at AutoX. I do remember trying to run my 1st-gen Lightning in one several years ago (I'd blown an head gasket on the Alfa the week before at Gratten and was already entered). Didn't work very well, but got a lot of attention.

I actually set out to buy an S before picking up the 335 last week. I justify it because it'll be more comfy for her on the freeways compared to the Mini. That's it...the 300 lbs/ft at just off idle really had nothing to do with it at all... :propeller:

vonkamp
12-16-2007, 07:14 AM
Nice looking mini Poodle! I used to do some autocrossing too. I started in the 80s with Datsun 510s. I moved up to a BMW 2002 (model not year) a much quicker car than the 510. Then a 944 which is the only one I actually spent some $$ on to make it more competitive. :convertib:

Gearhead99
12-16-2007, 08:04 AM
Putting a stroker in 68 Cougar. It's taking up alot of time right now. Have it at my shop, trying to fit it in between customer cars. It just ain't happening.

Collect watches too. Love the automatics. Recently purchased a Ball watch. Great watch.

Guns and more guns. Have two, different manufactore, M1 carbines coming from CMP. An Inland and a Winchester.
You can NEVER have too many guns.

Looking for another boat now too. Not sure what I want, but with the weak economics out there....I'll find a deal.

Barry Eller
12-16-2007, 09:22 AM
I play my guitars in my down time. I only get to crank up the Marshall Amp when Denise is out of the house! She prefers the Ovation 12 String "Unplugged"!

I also "Play" with my Mustang GT Rag-top.

As much as I work on the Donzi, I'm not sure that can be considered a "Hobby"!

Denise and I don't have children, but our ****er Spaniel and Chihuahua, Spot and Chico fill the void nicely!

DonziFreak
12-16-2007, 10:29 AM
Wow! Beautiful dogs! Awsome looking Les Paul/Donzi guitar! And Marshall is the best when it comes to amps! :biggrin.:

I have a brand new Gibson SG coming pretty soon....can't wait!

And I sure as hell don't have the patience for a 12-string.....haha

Barry Eller
12-16-2007, 11:22 AM
Wow! Beautiful dogs! Awsome looking Les Paul/Donzi guitar! And Marshall is the best when it comes to amps! :biggrin.:
I have a brand new Gibson SG coming pretty soon....can't wait!
And I sure as hell don't have the patience for a 12-string.....haha

Thanks. The dogs are our joy. Yep, Marshall amps kick.

What color is you new SG. They play well, much lighter than a LP.

12 Strings only take patience when you re-string or tune...they do take tough calluses on the fingers to play. My problem is playing the LP after playing the 12 String, I bend the strings with too much pressure for a few minutes.

DonziFreak
12-16-2007, 11:41 AM
The new SG is in Worn Brown (I bought a limited run SG that came with a "faded" finish) and the weight is the main reason I went SG instead of LP....that and a LP makes me feel way to old.....haha

And tuning 6 strings is already a pain in the ass when your tired from a long day.....I can only IMAGINE 12.....haha

ruthless
12-16-2007, 12:25 PM
Its time to get some ice fishing in. And trying to restore a 1975 arctic cat kit kat for my three year old daughter , never to young. Still got two weeks left of bow hunting in michigan, if I can find time between christmas decor and shopping to make the boss happy:hangum:

Lenny
12-16-2007, 12:36 PM
Buiz and I discussed going with a Porsche,

This would surely be "fun" with 740 horsepower... :eek:

http://ww2.collectorcartrader.com/details.php?adId=adcache.collectorcartrader.com/ad-cache/10/8/3/90123183.htm

BUIZILLA
12-16-2007, 04:46 PM
hmmmmm

BUIZILLA
12-16-2007, 09:00 PM
it was lavender STRIPE there brightboy :propeller:

BUIZILLA
12-16-2007, 09:02 PM
I really like this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=&item=350006102855&_trksid=p3984.cWAT.m240.lVI

no A/C though.... bummer

DonziFreak
12-16-2007, 09:10 PM
I love Porche's and all, but this is MY idea of a mans car

http://www.dealsonwheels.com/database/cars/000281-200706-000002big.jpg :biggrin.:

BUIZILLA
12-16-2007, 09:12 PM
picky picky picky

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10156&viewitem=&item=160190881323&_trksid=p3907.m29

DonziFreak
12-16-2007, 09:22 PM
Quick question, any of my fellow "South Florida" guys ever just go out on the bay and head out to Marine Stadium? Thats probaly my favorite place to go now....since Elliot Key is waaaaay to packed with people that really don't care about others around them....Marine Stadium is a nice little protected cove with clean-ish (basicly THE cleanest water in Miami) and I find theres always plenty of warm water and space for me there, with a minimal amount of issues.....and you can even occasionaly find a unlimited part or two down in the 7-8ft of water there! :biggrin.:

BUIZILLA
12-16-2007, 09:22 PM
I don't want watercooled... especially a '99... :bonk:

DonziFreak
12-16-2007, 09:23 PM
Cool car DF, but they handle like tanks...

Not with the right set-up :biggrin.:

Ours handles like a wet-dream....atleast among muscle cars, it's obviously no porche! But it suites me just fine :biggrin:

DonziFreak
12-16-2007, 09:32 PM
I'm heading down to the keys the first weekend of Febuary, and I'm thinking about just running it with the rest of the family towing the trailer. I have a 45 gallon capacity on my barrel-back, so fuel isn't a issue...

Morgan's Cloud
12-17-2007, 09:18 AM
Actually , I do a number of other things probably more fun than growing pineapples but did'nt want to get into a 'who has the most toys' kind of thread ...

The humour is intentionally subtle !

[QUOTE=gcarter;432562]Laine raised some pineapples from scratch......and after two seasons of care they didn't taste as good as from the store.
Probably our soil......

Soil is the key George ! The early colonists tried them out here a few hundred years ago and could'nt make a go of it. They don't really like a lime/calcium rich soil like ours , and probably yours too !
Gotta use potting soil and plant food ....
Mind you , your store brought ones could well be much better than ours .. they have to come all the way from Costa Rica ...(Phil's hangout :biggrin.:.)

Steve

Bobby D
12-17-2007, 03:56 PM
I play around with a PHS documented 1965 GTO built from the factory with a Tri-Power setup and a Muncie M21 4-speed transmission. It’s an original Montero Red, Parchment/Black Interior car. The original tri power 389-engin was blown up by a previous owner back in the early 80’s and is long gone. The car has a rebuilt drive train with about 3000 miles it’s a Pontiac 455-cu/in-500HP motor that hauls ass and has unbelievable torque. It was the reserve engine of a guy who races a 1970 Judge; the engine is blueprinted and professionally built by a performance engine builder from Baltimore Maryland. Most of the suspension has been replaced and the car handles very well around turns. Over the last five yeas there have been many other new parts installed including the exhaust (nice rumble sound until I stomp on the gas petal), and 4 wheel power assist breaks. It’s a nice 1965 GTO that is not a perfect car, however I drive it often and run (beat) the hell out of it.
Most who see it like how it is turning out except this guy who gave me a hard time about gas consumption (mpg) and that I should feel bad about it?
My response “No I don’t feel bad because I don’t know how many MPG the car gets and I don’t care it’s not my daily driver” GTO stands for gas tires and oil right.
Here are some details about the motor:
455 Block 73 YW code bored .45 over
Bullit 4 bolt main caps.
6.8 Crower rods.
Full floating Viola rods.
Studded 4.250 stroked crank.
9.5:1 compression ratio.
Lunati cam, 555/555.
4X heads
Ram Air IV Manley valves and springs.
8-quart oil pan
850 CFM Edelbrock Performer Quadra-jet carb.
Torker 2 intake
MSD 6AL ignition
2.5 “ Magnaflow Exhaust System
Hooker Headers
9” Moser posi-rear 31 spline with 3.50 gears
H.D. drive shaft and U-joins
M-21 tranny (original)
Hurst 4 speed (original)
Aluminum Be Cool. Radiator
Bobby D

gold-n-rod
12-17-2007, 04:49 PM
I play around with a PHS documented 1965 GTO built from the factory with a Tri-Power setup and a Muncie M21 4-speed transmission. It’s an original Montero Red, Parchment/Black Interior car.
Very nice.
Sweet ride! :convertib:

DonziFreak
12-17-2007, 05:35 PM
I REALLY hope that wasn't a SD-455.....If so, it would be a damn shame...those things are so hard to find......But if its a standard 455, I got no complaints....:biggrin.:

Rootsy
12-17-2007, 07:16 PM
I tend to enjoy building custom firearms from time to time. I figured it was time to build a new front stuffer hunting rifle. So I bucked up for a Lyman Great Plains Rifle 50 caliber percussion kit a month or so ago. I still have a couple of odds and ends to take care of but I lit her off tonight for the first time.

I already have an itch for a mid 1700's era PA long rifle. Just not quite sure what school I prefer yet... Maybe I'll have it figured out by next winter ;)

Nothing special about this muzzleloader though... Just an easy to put together kit. Some metal work and wood work... I browned all of the steel heavily so that it really penetrated the surface and then rubbed it back with 0000 steel wool until the rusting was gone. Leaves it looking a dull grayish antiqued look. I did draw file the top 3 sides of the barrel rear of the rear sights to remove all of the disclaimers and crap that is pixel engraved into the barrel...

The wood is a European walnut and it's finished with 5 coats of hand rubbed tung oil mixed with red mahogany stain and some thinner. First coat is put on until the wood will absorb no more. I then leave it sit a week to harden. It is then wet sanded with tung oil and stain mixed and 320 grit paper. This fills the pores in the walnut. I then wet sanded it 3 more times with tung oil and stain and 600 grit paper. I try to leave a couple of days between sandings to let the tung oil harden. It'll all (metal and wood) receive a couple of coats of wax in a month or so.

Even had to add a special touch for future generations to remember me by :)

gcarter
12-17-2007, 08:43 PM
I love dreaming about these things;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=014&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=330196689543&rd=1
Can you imagine what his reserve is actually?
Junkers go for $25-$30K.
But if I really had the money to actually consider one of these things, I'd probably buy one of these;
http://www.irvingvincent.com/
At least they have modern brakes to match the performance and all the problems have been fixed like the lube system.....

zelatore
12-18-2007, 09:36 AM
I've never really had the urge to have a Vincent, but ever since I saw one of these in the flesh at an IMS show a few years ago I've wanted one:

http://www.nortonmotorcycles.com/bike/961_gallery.asp?imageNum=1

Not exactly vintage, more a re-interpretation of the vintage style. Too bad Keeny Dreer hasn't got them beyond the one-by-one custom built stage. He had hoped to get them into a (limited) volume production and down to a reasonable price. (i.e under $20K)

CHACHI
12-18-2007, 11:45 AM
I've never really had the urge to have a Vincent, but ever since I saw one of these in the flesh at an IMS show a few years ago I've wanted one:

http://www.nortonmotorcycles.com/bike/961_gallery.asp?imageNum=1

Not exactly vintage, more a re-interpretation of the vintage style. Too bad Keeny Dreer hasn't got them beyond the one-by-one custom built stage. He had hoped to get them into a (limited) volume production and down to a reasonable price. (i.e under $20K)
Zelatore, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Kenny closed up operations this summer.
Ken

zelatore
12-18-2007, 12:01 PM
I'm not surprised. I knew things weren't going as well as he had planned.

I believe he did deliver a few of the bikes, but from what I've read he learned the hard way it's tough to actually go into full scale production.

Last summer (?) I saw one of his trailers on I5, probably headed to a show. I was hoping maybe he would be able to survive. At $10K, I'd have bought one. At $12-15K, I'd still consider it. At $20K, it's right out. And at this point, it looks like I don't have to worry about it anyway. Still, if he ever gets back off the ground I'll be keeping an eye out.

Let's see...pick up the Norton to replace the Speed Triple, then get a GS or FJR or Connie as a touring bike....yeah, that could work.

Bobby D
12-18-2007, 05:37 PM
I REALLY hope that wasn't a SD-455.....If so, it would be a damn shame...those things are so hard to find......But if its a standard 455, I got no complaints.
Nothing special, 73 “YW “ block 4-bolt main out of a Big Pontiac most likely a Bonneville or Catalina 4-door Hardtop.
I tried to narrow down what this block could have come in? Most of the information I found indicates it was a 215/250hp 4bbl. engine.

DonziFreak
12-18-2007, 07:23 PM
Nothing special, 73 “YW “ block 4-bolt main out of a Big Pontiac most likely a Bonneville or Catalina 4-door Hardtop.
I tried to narrow down what this block could have come in? Most of the information I found indicates it was a 215/250hp 4bbl. engine.

Those blocks were offered in T/A's back in 73-74, around the same time they did the limited run with the SD-455, which happens to be the biggest production V-8 offered in a car during the muscle car era. They had the Pontiac 400's, which was standard on the T/A's, then there was a 455 option and the SD-455, which was only offered in the standard T/A's, not the Formula versions.