PDA

View Full Version : SHELBY, GT500 car version, was there such thing as...

Lenny
12-13-2007, 08:04 PM
a 427 SOHC of this car in a race version ??? If so when?

A buddy of mine (very well healed) and I are going to look at a supposed one (for him to purchase). The deal sounds too good to be true, and the owner is in his early 80's. For SURE it is a SHELBY, but he says it was a race car "or something". He has no email, no 'puter, can't even find the numbers but assures us he has had it for over 30 years himself.

So, is this possible?

My friend already has SHELBY's (as collectibles) and this is just to add to his collection but with hopes prior to us flying there on short notice, that it might be something "special".

VetteLT193
12-13-2007, 10:01 PM
a 427 SOHC of this car in a race version ??? If so when?
A buddy of mine (very well healed) and I are going to look at a supposed one (for him to purchase). The deal sounds too good to be true, and the owner is in his early 80's. For SURE it is a SHELBY, but he says it was a race car "or something". He has no email, no 'puter, can't even find the numbers but assures us he has had it for over 30 years himself.
So, is this possible?
My friend already has SHELBY's (as collectibles) and this is just to add to his collection but with hopes prior to us flying there on short notice, that it might be something "special".

I thought they were all SOHC...

Lenny
12-13-2007, 11:39 PM
'67 Puddle...

TXDONZI
12-14-2007, 01:26 AM
I know there were 2 drag cars made with SOHC's (sure of the year) Ford toured them or something for GI's. I believe one was called Blue Thunder maybe both. I also remember reading some place one of them vanished during shipping...if I remember right......... Could it be? Dough fully....wouldn't you think. But that does not mean that more weren’t built for someone with bucks or a dealer Special Order. Not long ago there was a KILLER nearly 0hr Sanger Hydro with a 427 SOHC in it on eBay. Several years ago I heard tale of one stored in drums of oil over in Louisiana. Never could get anymore details other than that. I wanted to stick it in a full chassis 63 Falcon or 63 F100 Unibody.

Those motor made nearly 700hp out of the box. There were a few forms of it.... Awesome even in pieces IMHO.

Lenny
12-14-2007, 01:36 AM
I was "told" that NO 427 SOHC's made it into Mustangs, ... ever... then there are a few facts that maybe they did, but not documented. :rolleyes: What we are talking about here is 500-600 K cars. I know the 427 had two versions, oil cams first or oil crank first. Crank first is that latter version. The one we are hopefully looking at...

I will let you know. I do know that it IS a SHELBY, it IS A 1967, it has only EVER since day one been raced... and that was 40 years ago.

...we'll find out soon enough...

About 50 of them were manufactured with the 427 engine which was described by a car magazine as having earth quaking performance and a select few were retrofitted with the 427 cammer. (Overhead cammed 427. Available only over the parts counter to the best of my knowledge)

TXDONZI
12-14-2007, 01:43 AM
I thought they were all SOHC...

Some of them were (very few) Shelby GT 500KR's were 427 FE's Side Oilers or High Risers??? but not the 427 SOHC version.... these went in the Galaxzies and over the counter for racing. The others.... Shelby GT 500's had 428 either SCJ's or CJ's if I am not mistaking.

TXDONZI
12-14-2007, 01:53 AM
http://www.blueovalranch.com/page7.html

Rootsy
12-14-2007, 06:13 AM
Why not just call Shelby and ask?

BUIZILLA
12-14-2007, 06:27 AM
one my room mates in college had a '67 427 dual quad GT 500 fastback
mist green, black interior, 4 speed
original family owner, he got it for a graduation gift
he was from Lakeland, Fla

lenny, send me a valve cover pic :wink:

Carl C
12-14-2007, 08:05 AM
The Cammer motor was sold over the counter only. It was never installed in a production or Ford authorized specialty vehicle. If there is a cammer GT500 out there then someone bought the motor and put it in. These motors were produced for Nascar and made in the area of 700 hp. It would have been way too much power for a car from that era. Ford even had to de-tune the street version of the Boss 429 to the point that they were dogs. You can google Ford 427 SOHC images to ID motor. I checked my collection of Mustang books and shop manuals also.

zelatore
12-14-2007, 09:51 AM
I gotta agree with most everybody above. The SOHC 427 was never in a production car, and only in a very few factory race cars. And why would Shelby want it in a 'race' version of the GT500? I always understood he didn't much care for the later big-block cars anyway as they were more boulevard cruiser than racer compared to the original GT350's.

If it IS a SOHC, and not just a regular side-oiler, and you can document that it was factory installed....well, you've got something pretty special there. It would be a one of one car. I wouldn’t even begin to put a price tag on it.

It’s not like regular big block Shelbys are just laying around either. An unrestored original of any Shelby is still a great find.

Lenny
12-14-2007, 10:08 AM
Jim, we won't have any more info till next week so a "pic" of the valve covers is a no go. Interesting tho, that is in the general area as the "Blue Oval" info.

Interesting note. That white GT500 that my neighbour was restoring for the fella in Mississippi just sold here. (prior to him returning the car to Mississippi. The gent in MS paid $40K for the car in original (and I thought GREAT) condition. It sold to a fella in Canada here for $225,000. :eek:

Carl C
12-14-2007, 10:23 AM
Check the numbers carefully. All the parts are easily availible to create a counterfeit GT500. This info may be of interest. It also tells where to find all of the vin #s, even the hidden ones. An AM radio was optional!. Note at the bottom of the spec page that there were two prototypes made in '67. Hmmmmmmmmm.....I wonder where they are?

Craig S
12-14-2007, 11:38 AM
The KRs were all '68s (April build and later) and all 428 CJs. The '68 GT500s either had 428 PI (no big deal) or misplaced 390s because they were out of PIs. The '67's were all 428PIs with 2-4s, or I guess some mis-placed 390's (low 15s - check the Car and Driver test in the day). Not very fast, but I'm sure they would burn a lot of rubber.

Shelby had a '67 promo/drag/race? car with a 427. Maybe there were two. Dunno. At least one. King Snake I think. It has surfaced lately.

427s in sold cars? Rumors and dealer installed, if any. What kind of 427s would they be? 427 low riser ohv. 390hp. Not very fast, either (low 15s or little better). The Mustang (like all mid-size and compact Fords of the day) were shock tower cars, with no place for the SOHC. Plus, that engine may not have been made past '66. Dunno.

There are no documented 427 factory installations that I know of. Now the Cougar GTE...prior to 4/68 build they were 427 390hp automatic only. Special engine, yes, but not very quick.

It looks the 427 in '68 was stillborn, except for the GTE Cougars.

All the above, imho.

TXDONZI
12-19-2007, 10:46 PM
Whats the word here...

Lenny
12-20-2007, 10:07 AM
...wasn't real... :( but led us to believe it was.

Carl C
12-20-2007, 02:29 PM
Lenny, I think a lot of the Shelby Mustangs you see are fake. Grand Nationals too. I'm glad you didn't get burned.

WA-LO
12-21-2007, 02:45 PM
Hers one of my recent barn finds its not a shelby
but its cool!

WA-LO
12-21-2007, 03:49 PM
Try these pics one more time.

Lenny
12-21-2007, 03:56 PM
Is it for sale ???

WA-LO
12-21-2007, 04:35 PM
Hey Lenny, Im gonna hold on to it ,Ive been looking for another
good cammer for 2years and finally found a good one this one
has never been apart came from Holman moody in 67 .

Craig S
01-04-2008, 03:21 PM
Hers one of my recent barn finds its not a shelby
but its cool!

Nice! I see the shock towers are gone...straight front axle?

WA-LO
01-04-2008, 04:06 PM
Yep, I think Im gonna do a Gas Rhonda replica I like
the look alot.