PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Hatch

ky-donzi
12-12-2007, 09:03 PM
has anyone ever done this. It seems to be lighter than fiberglass. I made it from .090 aluminum. I have a CNC plasma cutter and then tig welded most of it together.

Not sure about the scoop yet.... it needs some assistance. Any advice or pics of cool retro scoops

DonziFreak
12-12-2007, 09:07 PM
have you thought about putting a rubber insert around the lip of the engine bay to raise the hatch to deck-level?

DonziFreak
12-12-2007, 09:08 PM
nevermind, looked at the pictures a little closer and it seems you may of already thought of that!

ky-donzi
12-12-2007, 09:13 PM
Yea, i haven't yet but i'm going to. It was super hard to match the height and contour of my rear deck

DonziFreak
12-12-2007, 09:18 PM
I bet!

I gotta say, I really like the idea! It's unique and original! You should put on a reverse scoop......like the ones that came on the old 73-74 trans-ams. Threw one of those on my barrel-back when we dropped in the new power, it looks really cool if I do say so myself :biggrin:

ky-donzi
12-12-2007, 09:23 PM
Do you have a pic? The underlying reason for the whole hood project was to hopefully clear a procharger intercooler. Hoping that Santa might bring me one!!!!

DonziFreak
12-12-2007, 09:36 PM
I actualy happened to find some pictures today......lucky you :wink:

ky-donzi
12-14-2007, 09:40 PM
I found the scoop that I'm going to use. It is a 69 Mustang Mach I scoop. A frined had one in his garage and it looks great. Very similar to the new Shelby Donzi scoops

DonziFreak
12-14-2007, 09:48 PM
so its gonna be foward mounted?

ky-donzi
12-14-2007, 10:01 PM
Yea I will try to post a pic of it tomorrow. It will be foward mount

Here is a identical one on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-MUSTANG-MACH1-CJ-TORINO-GT-HOOD-SCOOP-351-68-70_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33646QQihZ004QQitemZ 140189887740QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

DonziFreak
12-14-2007, 10:05 PM
Oh wow! Thats going to look bad-ass! That blends in perfectly with the lines of the 16's and newer 18's, but for a barrel-back 18, I personaly would perfer like what we ended up doing, because its got that "curve" and "bigness" to it that kinda screams for attention. (whoops....kinda hi-jacked! sorry....)

But WOW! That is going to look SOOOOO awsome on your 18! :yes:

ky-donzi
12-14-2007, 10:11 PM
The amazin thing is that it looks like it is just the right height and width to accomadate the extra height of a intercooler. On prochargers website they claim a height increase of 1-1/2" and with the scoop I will have 2-1/2" increase over stock. I know this because I litterally got in the engine compartment and closed the hood on myself to measure. I can't believe that I fit in that tiny compartment!!!!

Thanks for the compliment too.

I agree that with the barrel back a rounder scoop should be used.

DonziFreak
12-14-2007, 10:20 PM
I'm 5'8" and weigh in close to 200 lbs. and this past summer, I had the starter on the 350 go out on me.....and of course.....being the genious I am....the starter was mounted on the bottom of the block, with most of the bolts being behind the beam.......well, I don't know how, but i weaseld myself down in there, pulled the starter out, weaseled myself back out, ran to discount autoparts (of all places...), found a new starter, weaseled back in, installed it, got stuck for 20 minutes, then got out! All without pulling the exhaust manifold! But......of course....i crossed the wires on the solenoid and I'm pretty sure thats what took my dash out of comission that day....that and the boot on the drive gave way and the Donzi started taking on water.....good thing I fixed the bilge pumps! Haha.....

But! Atleast it touched water the same day the starter went out!

glashole
12-15-2007, 07:37 AM
not to go off on this thread but you should really have used a marine starter.
I know last minute fixes you just want to get on the water but you don't want to have issues with it in your bilge :shocking:

on to our regularily scheduled programming :)

MOP
12-15-2007, 10:17 AM
Atta Boy Shea!!!! I was about to type something similar, auto starters and alternators can turn your toy into a bomb!

Phil

ky-donzi
12-15-2007, 10:49 AM
It has been my experience that using aftermarket starter is not a good idea on anything. I use to just go to the auto parts store and buy a starter. I found I always had to shim the aftermarket rebuilt starter. I have never seen a factory shimed starter. They must resurface the mounting pad on the starter which then requires shimming. I ALWAYS have mine rebuilt locally at a electric shop, it may take a few days longer but then it is the original starter, alternator, ect. I know it will fit. AND in most cases cheaper, and warrenty is better........ Just my 2 cents worth.

DonziFreak
12-15-2007, 04:54 PM
I bought mine and it came with a lifetime warranty (which we all know doesnt mean ****) But it did, surprisingly, bolt straight on. As far as the old starter goes.....it was Non-Marine and was on the engine for 15+ years....So I think I got my moneys worth outta it....and for $30 for a new starter, I think no matter what I'm getting my moneys worth outta this one.

tiger lily
12-15-2007, 05:01 PM
howd you get it to follow the contour of the deck? thats awesome work ya did there

ky-donzi
12-16-2007, 12:07 PM
I got the curvature by measuring a couple different ways and then avagering the measurements. 1st I measured the arc height at center point (string across bottom of orignal hatch and measure vertical height at center point)

Then I measured arc length across top of hatch. Then I measure arc height at measured intervals ( same procedure as #1 just not at centerline.)

Then I drew the arc on AUTOCAD and that gave me the front edge. I then measured and drew the rear arc at the back of the hatch. I then wrote a CNC program and cut in with a CNC cutter I have. If you look at the first pic I posted you can see the machine in action cutting out the hatch.

Now that I had the front and rear arcs I just bowed a pc of .090 Aluminum over the arcs and welded it together. I had to go back an cut a few reliefs in the edge to bow it in places then weld it back, but now it actually fits the contour of my rear deck better than the original.

BTW your boat is orange and black isn't it?

MOP
12-16-2007, 01:26 PM
What is the Mustang scoop made of? I was thinking if it is metal and idea might be, to powder coat the entire unit to match the boat. Then have the stripe applied in another product, the powder coating some tough as proved by Gcarter in his Minx. I think the hatch is great!

Phil

tiger lily
12-16-2007, 02:45 PM
I got the curvature by measuring a couple different ways and then avagering the measurements. 1st I measured the arc height at center point (string across bottom of orignal hatch and measure vertical height at center point)
Then I measured arc length across top of hatch. Then I measure arc height at measured intervals ( same procedure as #1 just not at centerline.)
Then I drew the arc on AUTOCAD and that gave me the front edge. I then measured and drew the rear arc at the back of the hatch. I then wrote a CNC program and cut in with a CNC cutter I have. If you look at the first pic I posted you can see the machine in action cutting out the hatch.
Now that I had the front and rear arcs I just bowed a pc of .090 Aluminum over the arcs and welded it together. I had to go back an cut a few reliefs in the edge to bow it in places then weld it back, but now it actually fits the contour of my rear deck better than the original.
BTW your boat is orange and black isn't it?

gotcha, same why i woulda done it, i just didnt know if you did it any diffrently..

yes my boat is orange/black, orange deck, orange interior, black stripe on deck, black hull sides, with orange stripe on hull sides and orange lettering, alot of wax , and keeping it fully covered all the time as kept it up pretty good

ky-donzi
12-16-2007, 05:06 PM
Tiger lily

Your boat is awesome!! I have a 70 Corvette Stingray painted the same. Is that original gel or a paint job?

MOP... great idea, but the scoop is fiberglass..... do you think that the Aluminum will not warp in the oven? I might do the hatch with white powercoat and paint the blue strip on because the scoop is almost the exact width of the blue strip.

tiger lily
12-16-2007, 05:56 PM
^^^ original, paint scheme, left the factory that way