PDA

View Full Version : Procharger!!!!

ky-donzi
12-10-2007, 10:55 AM
Who if anyone has a procharged 350 mpi. I would like to get the real in's and out's of it. Like to talk to a real owner of one. I have a 18 classic with a 350 mpi mag........... Thanks

chappy
12-10-2007, 11:30 AM
Jamie at Lakeside put one in a 22zx. He goes by JW on the board. His phone number is 570 639 2628, or click on the link to the left of the page.

The Hedgehog
12-10-2007, 05:16 PM
Who if anyone has a procharged 350 mpi. I would like to get the real in's and out's of it. Like to talk to a real owner of one. I have a 18 classic with a 350 mpi mag........... Thanks

I would love to see someone do it. It should be a real screamer. The procharger would be a good way to do it.

hot shot
12-10-2007, 07:12 PM
i have an 18 and was thinking very serious about pro charging it and talked extensivly with jame and he has a real passion to do one in an 18, i think he is the man, i bought a 22 and not sure what to do with it a pro charger or a raylar kit. you better have full hyd steering good luck mick

The Hedgehog
12-10-2007, 07:44 PM
i have an 18 and was thinking very serious about pro charging it and talked extensivly with jame and he has a real passion to do one in an 18, i think he is the man, i bought a 22 and not sure what to do with it a pro charger or a raylar kit. you better have full hyd steering good luck mick

You will get more bang with a Procharger.

You will definitely steering on an 18 with that setup. You will be over 80 easy. The acceleration will be mind blowing.

Traveler
12-14-2007, 11:26 AM
Because my supercharger is not a Procharger I was sitting back to see if you got any responses. When I saw none, I decided to comment and see if you were interested in discussing supercharging the 350 mag in general. My setup is a 1998 Classic 18 with a Magnuson M112. My fuel injection setup is an accel DFI running in closed loop mode using an LC1 controller. Learned a lot playing with this setup (still wonder what I'm doing sometimes!) over the last couple of years maybe you'll find it interesting. Let me know.

BUIZILLA
12-14-2007, 11:40 AM
I spent 15 years programming DFI's for numerous different race car's, turbo and natural, including several of my own car's, starting in 1992

so i'm all ears on this one...

first question... why closed loop at such low coolant temp's?

ky-donzi
12-14-2007, 11:51 AM
Yes Traveler I am

I have played around with BBC and SBC engines for 12 years now, but I have never do much with "computer engines" I have talk with Jamie at Lakeside and he told me that he got really good results with a procharged 350 mpi, but it wasn't in a classic.

I guess I have a couple of questions for you (1) what brand is your supercharger. (2) how well did your boat respond (3) Do you feel like you are abusing your boat with this set-up...I relize that supercharging a engine will decrease the life expenctincy of the engine and possible the outdrive but how well does everthing else seem to hold up?

Traveler
12-14-2007, 12:01 PM
Somebody to talk DFI to, I'm buying!

Not sure of the closed loop versus temp connection. I just wanted to be able to get the mixture I wanted (or was told to get) with the blower.

My plan was to work out the VE table then go open loop but because of some issues along the way I always stayed closed loop. With the DFI it was pretty easy to dial in the VE. I'd atalog, adjust the VE then datalog again. Unforetunately the first season my fuel pressure was all over the place so I was chasing the fuel pressure change in the VE table. Turned out I had a faulty fuel pump, Aeromtive A1000. Once I repaired that dialing in the VE was a snap.

It took another season of tuning to figure out a fuel injected Magnasun intake manifold has a whole boat load (excuse the pun) of air distribution issues.

LKSD
12-14-2007, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the refferals guys..

Yes Ky-Donzi I do remember talking with you. The Procharger is a nice way to go. The main concern is the space between your engine & hatch.. The thoughts I have are still the custom bonnet with a remote mount intercooler. I know it can be made to work, it just may have to be installed in a creative manner due to hatch clearance. I wish I remembered how much clearance my 18' that I had was there..

The other option is to go with a whipple set up. However the torque comes on a bit sooner with the whipple than a procharger set up.

A light 18 with a procharger would be a but more mild mannered than the whipple to drive in my opinion from a handling aspect.. That said the whipple efi kit with there ecm program is a more precise set up.. It also will cost you noticably more..

We sell & install both systems. Regardless of what you decide to do, if anything at all.. Im here if ya need me.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

Traveler
12-14-2007, 03:19 PM
Jamie, I have read many of your posts and may too be interested in a Procharger system. My config may be a little more custom as I'm now building an all-forged 383 with a 4-barrel type fuel injection manifold.

Ky-d, my brand of supercharge is the magnuson M112 which is a magnuson case with eaton internals. It is intercooled and has a bypass valve. The adiabatic efficiency does not compare to the procharger but I have 5 psi of boost from about 2500 rpm and up. It's a real cool kick in the pants, like having 4.11 gears.

My boat picked up 10 mph just bolting the blower and DFI on. No prop change I just spun it up higher, I'll have to check my file for specific performance data.

No I don't think I was abusing the boat from the extra power, I just had to learn when and when not to apply it. For a while I was just tearing around with my hair on fire which was fun, but resulted in some rough landings that needed a fiberglass shop to help out with. Also several undies launderings.

Before I installed the blower I did a compression test but not a leakdown so I didn't have the complete picture. After a couple of months the performance dropped off so I re-ran compression, found it was down and pulled the heads. Basically I had damaged the intake valves, they had tulipped. Make no mistake this was probably due to my own ignorance and the aforementioned air distribution issues with the manifold. That and the stock Vortec valves just aren't that strong. A teardown of the block showed no issues at all.

As for the drive, it's an alpha and I've run it like this for 3 years. Again, I've learned to ease up on it out of the hole and when flying the boat. When the reliability of the drive becomes the limiting factor in going faster then I'll repace it. Right now the conventional wisdom is that an alpha is around 3-4 mph faster than a bravo so the discussions is over right there.

Hey if I can answer any other questions let me know. I have all daughters, their eyes glaze over when I talk about this stuff.

Good luck.

ky-donzi
12-14-2007, 09:37 PM
Traveler

Do you think that the tuliped vavles came from higher RPM's?

I don't mind the investment of a supercharger but don't really want to tear into the engine. My plan was to go from a 25P prop to something like a 29 to keep the rpm's the same at WOT.

Did you happen to look at my other post about a aluminum hood? I found the scoop for it tonight. I got a 69 Mach I Mustang scoop for it. LOOK AWESOME! very similar to the new Shelby Donzis

Traveler
12-17-2007, 11:13 AM
KY-D
My rpm was in the 5600 range where stock it was around 5100. That seemed too drastic a change so I don't think the tulipping was from the rpm alone. The uneven mixture probably played a big part.

A guy on our lake loaned me a labbed 27 and a labbed 29. Neither was any faster but the 27 was real sweet and settled the boat right down. The 25 I have now is real squirrley but has great acceleration. The 29 just made the boat sluggish.

Yes I've seen your other post and have considered a scoop too. Not only does it give you clearance but you can get some cool air into the engine. For a while I ran my blower intake to the little scoops on the deck but the blower whine was deafening (but really cool sounding). Later I may try again but for right now I'm just pulling air from under the hatch.

Has anyone told you the outlet temperature of a Procharger at 7 or 8 psi and the delta T across the intercooler? Prochargers are supposed to be so efficient I'm wondering if I'd even need the interecooler. The port temp can't be any higher on a non-intercooled Procharger versus an intercooled Magnuson.

LKSD
12-17-2007, 11:28 AM
You would want an intercooler to keep the intake temps as low as possible. I would not recomend running without one. Besides the coooler intake temps are allowing some free Hp to be added along with some saftey for the engines internals.. .. :) Jamie / Lakeside