PDA

View Full Version : Cannot Separate Mercruiser "O" Drive from Renault Engine

rustnrot
12-09-2007, 05:01 PM
First off, I know very little about outdrives and frankly, hoped to keep it that way.

But, we gotta get this engine out of this F14. We got all the bellhousing bolts off but cannot separate engine from drive. I can get nearly 1/4" separation but something is holding it back.

I also cannot figure out how to remove the drive from the back. I naively thought the four carriage bolts thru the transom would come out and viola, we'd have separation......

Yes, boys and girls, there are no front engine mounts, this whole thing is supported by the transom!

MOP
12-09-2007, 05:06 PM
Good chance the spline is frozen in the coupling, is there any shaft exposed behind the bell housing. If so sometimes some solid blows will break it loose.

Phil

rustnrot
12-09-2007, 05:11 PM
Phil, thanks I was thinking along those lines. I'll let 'er soak in PB Blaster overnight.....

Once the engine is off I trust it should be obvious how to remove the gimbal (have I got it right?) at that point??

MOP
12-09-2007, 05:53 PM
Yup get all the connecting hardware off if you already have not done so, then look around the perimeter of the inner shield there should be 8 nuts. Once the nuts are off the inner should come loose pretty easily, take you time so as not to break it which can happed fairly easy on and oldie.

Phil

seano
12-09-2007, 07:00 PM
I would start by pulling the drive off.

rustnrot
12-09-2007, 07:31 PM
OK, how?

MOP
12-10-2007, 06:20 AM
Can't get the drive off until he gets the shaft out of the coupler, hopefully he will not have to resort to the cutting torch.

Pismo
12-10-2007, 06:37 AM
Remove the 4 nuts just above and below the white mercruiser sticker on the drive. Then the drive should slide off. If the spine is frozen it won't easily. I seem to recall after taking the nuts off tipping the drive up by hand, putting a board/pipe/something low across where the drive normally rests on the transom assembly and then letting the drive back down, this can pry the shaft out of the spline. Good luck, cool old setup but what a pain. What year is it?

rustnrot
12-10-2007, 08:26 AM
Ahhh, the 'ol Lever Trick....I'll try it.

I think the boat and drive are 1967....

I am still amazed that there are still no front engine mounts....

Pismo
12-10-2007, 08:51 AM
http://twincityoutboard.com/text/stern.htm

Parts!

Maybe these guys would buy your old parts?

rustnrot
12-10-2007, 08:59 AM
I saw those guys. Before I offered the engine to this List, I checked to make sure we were not sitting on a Museum Piece or the coveted, it appears from the link, Mercruiser II.

Provided I get this thing out without breaking anything it is sold complete to Donzi Racer! He can put it on a Silk Pillow under his bed for all I care!

rustnrot
12-14-2007, 02:37 PM
Gas tank was replaced at one time, have not looked inside it yet, will not reuse unless virtually perfect.

Where can I download template for Mercruiser Gen II?

:crossfing:Hoping very little transom to fill, obviously gotta glass in a front engine mount.

Donzi Racer
12-14-2007, 10:36 PM
Gas tank was replaced at one time, have not looked inside it yet, will not reuse unless virtually perfect.
Where can I download template for Mercruiser Gen II?
:crossfing:Hoping very little transom to fill, obviously gotta glass in a front engine mount.
That is so neat. How difficult was it to pop the so called deck loose? Loving it. How heavy was the engine aprox, when you got it out? Thanks, Tom

rustnrot
12-15-2007, 08:09 AM
The hardest thing about getting the deck off was cutting the tabs. The ones by the engine were the worst as I could barely get a sawzall in there.

Not sure how much the engine weighed, didn't seem to be very much but it was on the cherry picker, now on a tire. The outdrive was easy to lift by hand.

BUIZILLA
12-15-2007, 08:21 AM
how did you break the drive loose from the engine?? or did I miss something..

rustnrot
12-15-2007, 08:25 AM
There were two small rubber mounts at the bottom of the inside transom assy that supported the bellhousing at the bottom. I had to cut thru those, I could find no other way. That allowed the bellhousing to stay on the engine for removal.

MOP
12-15-2007, 10:13 AM
So how bad was the shaft stuck?

rustnrot
12-15-2007, 10:26 AM
Shaft was not stuck at all. In fact, the whole thing is remarkably not corroded. It was simply a matter of NOT being able to separate the bellhousing from the engine.

Instead, cutting the two lower mounts allowed the bellhousing and coupling to stay attached to the engine. It is out and undercover awaiting pickup by new owner. He can figure out how to separate bellhousing from engine if he wants, I am done.

smoothie
12-20-2007, 08:22 AM
Are you going to put the original deck back on or do one out of wood and turn it into a speedster???

rustnrot
12-20-2007, 10:43 AM
Original deck back on. Good thing Mark owns it not me :wink:

smoothie
12-20-2007, 01:03 PM
:(........

rustnrot
09-12-2008, 01:51 PM
Now that we are almost done with the Vali IV headlight finned outboard boat we started on the Fisherman 14 F14.

Engine is 3.0L Mercruiser. Had to widen box to fit. Also part of floor was cut into before as some wise guy did that to remove tank. Went ahead and cut out a bunch of it that was either delammed or rotten. Made hatch smaller too as new gas tank fits different.

Question: Are the rear mounting slots cast into the bottom of the bellhousing ever used? I am guessing not as there is a front support and also supported at transom.

Remember, this is my first (and hopefully last) I/O to rig...