PDA

View Full Version : Magnum Interior?

superhatz
12-08-2007, 05:58 PM
I'd like to have the interior re-done in my Magnum and was wondering what it might cost?........and if you have any recommendations for who might be good to do it?

I'm going to switch to a candy-stripe and add a thin pad to the engine hatch.

Here's a couple photos of the style I'm talking about........I figured you Donzi guys are best to ask.

superhatz
12-09-2007, 01:20 AM
At least tell me what you paid for your candy stripe interior........:)

olredalert
12-09-2007, 09:22 AM
------I can tell you that candy-stripes are very time consuming because every pleat is a seperate piece. That translates into way more money. John Harmon (original Bilt-Rite owner) told me years ago that of all the orders he got he hated the candy-stripe orders the most. Im fairly sure other interior shops feel the same way. That also translates into more money. It does look cool on the right boat though, and if thats your boat it would be very cool........Bill S

superhatz
12-09-2007, 11:25 PM
Without seeing it......a local guy said it would be $5-10K!.......quite a range I thought.

I can see $3-4K........am I right?

VetteLT193
12-10-2007, 07:34 AM
------I can tell you that candy-stripes are very time consuming because every pleat is a seperate piece.....

I thought all of the Donzi classic interiors are separate pieces. I don't think it's as much the separate pieces as it is lining everything up. It's gotta be tough to get the stripes to line up from the top cushion to the bottom cushion. Hopefully Bob will chime in to explain:)

I think for price you could easily spend $4k. It's a one time job, all custom. Unless you can find the old templates:wink:

olredalert
12-10-2007, 08:38 AM
------As I remember from tearing apart a couple of old seats a long time ago, the single color pleats are doubled over where you cant see them and therefore appear to be seperate peices. There is less water intrusion that way as well.......Bill S

knots2u
12-10-2007, 05:14 PM
Each channel is a seperate piece of vinyl, even on solid color interiors. Candy stripe interiors do create alot of waste but $2500-$2700 should be the top end.

Happy Holidays,
Bob

superhatz
12-10-2007, 08:16 PM
Thanks Bob........are you an interior guy?.......forgive my ignorance.

Aaron

knots2u
12-10-2007, 11:01 PM
:yes: That would be me.
Bob

superhatz
12-10-2007, 11:09 PM
:yes: That would be me.
Bob

You would need the boat right?

knots2u
12-11-2007, 08:47 AM
Aaron,

Sorry, I no longer do any upholstery work, carpet and covers only. The answer to your question is yes, having the boat would help, especially on the hatch cover.

Bob

VetteLT193
12-11-2007, 02:27 PM
I've looked for my boat, and Bob (knots2u) was much more reasonable than others... I will say that the Donzi community lost a great asset when he closed shop.

PPI for example advertises here for Donzi classic interiors for the mid $2k range (I need to see that ad again), and of course they don't have the hatch to cover, and aren't candy.

knots2u
12-11-2007, 04:48 PM
Donzi interiors from PPI in the mid $2000 range, are you serious? If you find the ad please post a link to it.

Greg K
12-11-2007, 07:17 PM
Right here on the log in screen, it's in rotation with others.

knots2u
12-12-2007, 09:04 AM
$2336 :eek:

I guess your quote for the Magnum interior was from PPI.

cutwater
12-12-2007, 09:32 AM
Vette -

I just saw your post in the other thread, and yes PPI did return my email...

However, once I saw the $2336 number I just decided not to pursue that avenue right now. That's almost half of what I paid for my boat!! (seriously). It will be at least that much (if not more so) to get the Minx done since it is not the standard classic interior. I had more of a $1200 - $1500 number in my head, I just can't afford ~$2400 right now.

Not bashing PPI - They DID quickly return my email and said they think they could do a Minx interior. I'm sure it would be top quality, it's just out of my range right now.

John

VetteLT193
12-12-2007, 09:32 AM
Bob: How much are the patterns you have worth, and is it possible to do this on the side (in a regular 2 car garage) on a one by one basis?

VetteLT193
12-12-2007, 09:37 AM
Vette -
I just saw your post in the other thread, and yes PPI did return my email...
However, once I saw the $2336 number I just decided not to pursue that avenue right now. That's almost half of what I paid for my boat!! (seriously). It will be at least that much (if not more so) to get the Minx done since it is not the standard classic interior. I had more of a $1200 - $1500 number in my head, I just can't afford ~$2400 right now.
Not bashing PPI - They DID quickly return my email and said they think they could do a Minx interior. I'm sure it would be top quality, it's just out of my range right now.
John

Thanks for letting me know. It seems we're in the same boat in every regard.:doh: There's no way I can spend that kind of money right now either.

knots2u
12-12-2007, 11:34 AM
I'm thinking the patterns just about doubled in value. :bonk:

Just kidding!

If PPI had a competitor you would see price's come down, most likely to the range you mentioned. Working out of a two car garage would be tough but possible.

VetteLT193
12-12-2007, 12:50 PM
So... be honest with me. How hard is this to learn. You've got all the experience. I built a couple bench seats that I upholstered for my last house and current house, but neither came out Bilt-Rite quality. (Although I wasn't trying either...)

Is it possible to learn if I (and wife) have patience, and generally pick up things quickly?

knots2u
12-12-2007, 03:17 PM
I am not going to say anybody can do it but I never sewed anything other than socks before Bilt-Rite. Once you understand the tricks of the patterns, how all the pieces are assembled, and can sew in a relatively straight line you are good to go. The final quality of the product depends upon the skill level of the person that made it; I tossed quite few pieces before it was "Bilt-Rite" quality.

smoothie
12-13-2007, 12:05 PM
I've been using an amish fellow that did my cig 4 years ago for $425 and that was with new foam,did my bullet from scratch last winter for $120,won the boat show 2 years in a row with the cig,now all the car clubs have found out about him so hes about 6 months wait, if you live close to ohio its worth the drive.see attach for addy.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33350&highlight=amish

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30063&d=1183653002

VetteLT193
12-13-2007, 09:55 PM
I am not going to say anybody can do it but I never sewed anything other than socks before Bilt-Rite. Once you understand the tricks of the patterns, how all the pieces are assembled, and can sew in a relatively straight line you are good to go. The final quality of the product depends upon the skill level of the person that made it; I tossed quite few pieces before it was "Bilt-Rite" quality.

Bob: you have a PM. My wife and I are very interested.

VetteLT193
12-19-2007, 06:53 AM
Bob: you have a PM. My wife and I are very interested.

Did you sell already, never heard back from you...