PDA

View Full Version : Bronco pics

Donziweasel
12-07-2007, 02:42 PM
Finally found my card reader. Here is what I am starting with.......

vonkamp
12-07-2007, 05:00 PM
Looks like you got GT-40 heads on that motor.

Thats quite the project you got there, what color will it be? Is the top removable?

Donziweasel
12-07-2007, 05:17 PM
Hi Barry, how have you been? I am not sure if the heads are Gt-40's or not, if they are I am going to keep them (nice heads compared to stock).

The top is removable. Color is going to be sky blue with white top and white accents (grille, fenders, etc..) My next Donzi will be blue and white, should make a nice package!

The current plan is to get the body completely stripped down and off to the media blaster. Going to have the body and chassis stripped down to metal and epoxy sealed so immediate rust on bare metal is not a problem. Then body repair and paint. Chassis is the same. Chassis will be painted black with possible sky blue axles, springs, etc....

Once everything is painted, true and to spec, mount the body back on chassis.

Here is where I need some advice. Thinking about a 2 inch lift on the body to accomodate some larger rubber, probably 31's. I do NOT want a big jacked up red neck rig. I want a daily driver with good manners that looks nice.

As far as the engine, still thinking about it. I have time as this is the last component to be done. Transmission will be a T-19 if I can find one, T-18 if I can't. I will have a better idea on the engine once I get the one in the pic torn down. It is a 302, but has been modified. Edelbrock carb, dominator intake, etc... It ran really strong and sounded great before I pulled it, but I am kinda with Jamie on a 351. The 302 replaced the 289 in 67 or 68. The 1966-1977 Bronco was never offered with a 351. I think a nice 351 would make it a little more unique than the 302 or 289. If I do stay with the 302, it will be bored and stroked to 347. Hmmmm..... decisions, decisions.

Once again, any suggestions or ideas are appreciated as this is my first restoration. Driving kinda blind here. I know there are Classic Bronco forums and I guess I should join one.

Plan on spending a good part of the weekend on it.

gold-n-rod
12-07-2007, 06:06 PM
Chassis will be painted black with possible sky blue axles, springs, etc....

I was with you until this.......... :eek!: Keep all the chassis and parts black. Sky blue components? Barf!

Donziweasel
12-07-2007, 07:21 PM
Just thinkin.... Still not sure on all the colors.

Tony
12-07-2007, 08:09 PM
Sky blue components? Barf!

Jeez, Randy, tell us how you really feel!

:smash::eek::beer:

BUIZILLA
12-07-2007, 08:13 PM
347 w/GT40's

3.73's

HD clutch

coated shorty tri-y headers with single 3" magnaflow SS muffler and single 3" aluminized exhaust

NO BODY LIFT

white top

tan vinyl buckets, 96-98 Explorer XL 40-20 hi-backs

key lime color (real key lime is pale creamy yellow custard tone)

65-66 Mustang GT steering wheel

chrome grille

PIAA driving lights

dual horns

4 wheel discs from 70's Lincoln or mid 90's Explorer

31x10.50's

dark tints

tube bumper on rear

front bumper/winch combo

front and rear receiver hitches

quad shocks on front

steering stabilizer

side step pads with nerf's

dual battery's

fender flares

aluminum radiator

rhino liner on complete interior floors

undercoat body

kill the hood scoop

spare tire carrier

swivel mount drink holders

glashole
12-08-2007, 07:52 AM
go with a performance susp lift rather than body lift

the existing springs are probably worn and that will bring them back

yeller
12-08-2007, 11:51 AM
go with a performance susp lift rather than body lift
the existing springs are probably worn and that will bring them back I agree. I don't like body lifts unless absolutely necessary.
Although I may not barf...painted axles do make me queazy. :wink:

Donziweasel
12-08-2007, 06:12 PM
Jim,
Not bad, not bad at all. Much of what I was thinking. Differences are as follows-

Engine-Undecided, although if those are GT-40 heads, makes the decision
easier.

Sticking with sky blue for now on the body with white accents.

Matchig blue seat, dash white

Came with headers and they are in pretty good shape.

Not sure what gears are in it, but whatever they are they are staying.

Definetly getting a HD Clutch. Clutches from that period are prone to clutch chatter.

Can't afford chrome grille, going with white for now.

Will have lights, either PIAA or Hella

Dual Horn?:)

They make a disk brake conversion, but sticking with the drums for now, they are in good shape. Disks not in the budget right now, but will definetly be added later.

31 inch tires probably

Possible tint

Tube bumper might look nice on back, keeping that option open, definetly bull bar with possible winch up front.

Probably sticking with single shocks for now, probably Rancho RS 5000's

Steering stabilizer, once again Rancho

I have nerf bars on everything I own, screw running boards! and they have saved me some crushed body panels.

One Optima battery

Fender flares, but not cheap rubber riveted ones. I want the fiberglass ones no rivets showing. If I can't afford them, then the cheap black rubber ones for now.

Radiator is in suprisingly good shape, call this one undecided.

Interior floors will probably be paint with full carpet. I love rhino lining, but want the interior a little plusher for the Mrs.

Definet under body coat

That hood scoop on it sucks. I do like the smaller ram air scoop. Very low profile.

SPare tire carrier is a must.

I am finding some body parts that are going to have to be replaced. The fiberglass parts are much cheaper, but for a reason. Might go fiberglass on the grille. I do think I want to keep as much of it steel though. Any thoughts anyone?

Glashole and Yeller- Going to nix the body lift, although they do make some quality ones. I think I am going to keep the suspension hieght stock for now. I am also nixing the painted axles, black all around.

I spent the whole day on it today and am becoming more realistic about my budget. For example, although I want the T-18 tranny, the adapter alone in 450.00. Might stick with the 3 spd for now. The less I modify it (suspension, body, etc...) the more I save. I will NOT do a cheap project, just need to cut some costs. A rebuild kit for the tranny is only 90.00. Saves me over a grand for the T-18 and adapter, plus shortening the driveshaft one inch. 31 inch tires means I can keep the Dana 30's. My goal is to create a nice Bronco that is close to stock for now. Future upgrades are power steering, disk brakes, T-18 (T-19), etc... If Alltrans, Inc. sells, then many of these will happen with the rebuild. Got an offer yesterday, close, but not quite what I need. Wants to close April 1. I did sellme house Friday, but all the money is going to our new ranch, "The Lazy P".

Today I got the old grille of, Stripped all the electric out, took out the riveted aluminum panels someone put in the engine bay, got off the screwed up fender, and doors off. Back at it tommorow! Hopefully off to the media blaster by the end of the week.

Donziweasel
12-09-2007, 01:30 PM
Got into the engine today some out of curiosity. Heads are not GT-40's. Bummer. Ideas Ideas........

BUIZILLA
12-09-2007, 06:05 PM
ding ding ding... i'll flat out guarantee you can't beat this deal, and it has a warranty, plenty of power for that little wagon.. pay attention to the different 351W firing order

$2800 retail before your commercial discount

COMPLETE 5.8L/351-4V CRATE ENGINE ASSEMBLY

Please contact the Tech "Hot Line" for the most current product information (800) FORD788 or visit www.fordracingparts.com

PRODUCT DETAILS
Package Dimensions: 35.00H x 39.00W x 29.00D
Weight: 602.00#

TECH NOTES

M-6007-S58* 250 hp 4V

5.8L/351 cubic inch

240 hp @ 3800 rpm-2V

250 hp @ 3800 rpm-4V

340 lb.-ft. @ 3200 rpm-2V

350 lb.-ft. @ 3300 rpm-4V

8.5:1 compression ratio

Aluminum 2V intake E6TE-9424-DA on 240 hp

Ford Racing 4V dual plane intake on 250 hp

High-torque, hydraulic flat tappet camshaft E7JE-6250-AA

Cylinder heads E5AE-6090-CA without thermactor passages

Duraspark distributor, coil and spark plug wires

Block is hydraulic roller cam compatiable

Depending on your application, a different timing cover, water pump, performance oil pan and pickup may be required. See installation notes
INSTALLATION NOTES:
See engine installation and tuning tips on page 40.
Some or all of the following items may need to be changed from your original engine
or modified for proper installation:

This engine has a mid-sump oil pan and pickup, regular rotation timing cover and regular rotation water pump, and non-EFI valve covers.

A different oil pan and pickup may be required for your application. Call the Techline at (800) FORD788 for more information.

The timing chain cover will work with most regular rotation water pumps.

A standard rotation water pump is installed on the engine. Other applications may require different water pumps and timing chain covers found on pages 97-98.

The valve covers on 240 hp should fit most non-EFI applications, optional valve covers (sold separately) are available on pages 118-120.

The valve covers M-6582-E302P on 250 hp should fit most non-EFI applications, optional valve covers (sold separately) are available on pages 118-120.

The flywheel included F4TR-6380-AA 164-tooth HD truck, will not work for most applications. For other transmission applications use the proper 28 oz. flywheel, see pages 127-128.

Firing order 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 (5.0L HO and 351W order).

Built with current available parts. Photo and specs may vary

Shipping weight approximately 595 lbs

Donziweasel
12-10-2007, 08:39 AM
Already downloaded the Ford Racing catalog last week and ordered the paper one.....They offer lots of nice goodies!:)

zelatore
12-10-2007, 01:41 PM
pay attention to the different 351W firing order
LOL - I remember back when I was about 18; I lived and breathed Ford small blocks and was racing a 302 Maverick. I stopped by a semi-neighbor’s place one day and they were out in the garage having trouble getting a truck to run. They had either swapped a cam or installed a new motor or something, but had the firing order wrong having gone from a 302 to a 351 order. I suggested that as a potential problem, but they were sure they knew better than 'the neighbor kid'.

About and hour later they realized the mistake...

Donziweasel
12-12-2007, 07:09 AM
Scott, if you have one you want to donate to the cause, I'll take it!:wink:

Work has continued this week on the Bronc. Lots of cancer in that body. Hoping to have the body off by the end of the week. I see much cursing and welding in my future!