PDA

View Full Version : Tow Rig - FJ?

zelatore
12-06-2007, 10:58 PM
Anybody here tow with a Toyota FJ?

I have real issues with sport utes in general (neither sporty or utilitarian), but my girlfriend is talking about getting one. If we did, the only way I could possibly justify it is by getting rid of my truck and replacing it with something actually fun to drive (Boxster maybe?).

BUT-
Does the FJ have the beans to tow a 22 Classic? Just looking at the road tests, it's not exactly a rocket ship even empty. I gotta wonder if you wouldn't be driving at WOT constantly just to get up to freeway speed or over the slightest hills.

Additionally, it's (relatively) short wheelbase and light weight - great attributes for a car, but not so much when talking about a tow rig.

I’m not talking about the factory tow rating – Heck, Ford claims you can tow 11,000 lbs with some half-tons. I think we’d all agree that the ‘max tow rating’ given by most factories is a loooong way from what you’d really want to tow. I want to know if it’s comfortable; can pass or accelerate decently; controls the trailer well … not what Toyota says it can do, but what it’s actually comfortable doing.

For reference, my last two tow vehicles have been a Ford Lightning and my current '05 Ram quad cab hemi.

Of course, it's probably a better tow rig than her other choice - a 4-door Wrangler.

(God, I’ll never live it down if she gets this thing….first it’s a Ute, and on top of it, it’s a Toyota!)

The floor is now open for comments . . .

zelatore
12-07-2007, 03:07 AM
Having had a chance to do a little research, I think I've answered my own question - the FJ has a 5000 lb tow rating. Assuming an empty 22 weighs in about 3400 + 1000 for a trailer + fuel, gear, etc, I think it's a good bet that the Toyota isn't up to the task.

The only bad news about that is I have to keep the truck, which means no Porsche for me... I'll live - that's what bikes are for. :yes:

Last Tango
12-07-2007, 08:23 PM
Porsche Cayenne. 6-speed stick if you want some fun, 7700lb towing cpacity. Base Cayenne model has nearly 300HP 6 cyl. Porsche...tow vehicle...

zelatore
12-08-2007, 10:13 AM
Well, we actually went out and drove the FJ. The verdict: No sir, I don't like it. Despite the salesman's constant cheerleading about how he regularly tows 6000+ lbs with one and how his father tows 8000 with a Tacoma (yeah...) one shot up the freeway on-ramp was enough to convince me the FJ didn't have the power to tow something the size of a 22.

Aside from that, the engine sounded....terrible. No exhaust note, just a lot of generic whirring noises. Bleah.

It does look cool though.

The up side to all this is we got a 'practical' car to replace the Audi as her daily driver: '08 BMW 335i. You want toraque? That twin turbo leaves our old A4 for dead!

So no Boxster for me, but I think I can force myself to 'make do' with the 3.

BUIZILLA
12-08-2007, 10:15 AM
The up side to all this is we got a 'practical' car to replace the Audi as her daily driver: '08 BMW 335i. You want toraque? phenominal choice... :yes:

zelatore
12-08-2007, 10:44 AM
Thanks. Now I've just got to get through the dreaded break-in period so I can explore that 7000 (!) rpm redline.

We're already planning a short 'driving vacation' over Christmas. 2 or 3 days in the Sierras should do the trick, depending on snow conditions.