PDA

View Full Version : Latham steering install...

Jamesbon
12-06-2007, 06:02 PM
So far I've learned nothings ever easy on a boat. One project has turned into three as of today. I'm not complaining, just venting. Hopefully you guys can take something positive from my venture.
Here's what I have, 2 Latham rams, Imco wing plate, Latham hydraulic helm, reservoir and filter. My first minor set back was finding out there's a 3" hole and 4 smaller bolt holes in the dash where the Teleflex "oval shaped cable" helm was located. Since the Latham helm extension is 2 inches in diameter, my first side project was created. I thought about glassing the existing holes in and re-cutting, but was concerned that the weight of the new helm might put too much stress on the repair, so we opted to have an oval shaped 3/8" stainless plate cut and mounted to the dash. $60 in material, $220 in machining, and $25 more in polishing and we'll be ready to mount the helm. Also had a 6" x 6" stainless backing plate made as well. Should be ready Tuesday.
My second little surprise was that the transom mounts for the hyd. cylinders have to be mounted right in the middle of the trim tab cylinder mounts. So, off came the tab cylinders and down the road went the 22 to the glass guy to fill in those holes. I have 2 options for the trim tabs. 1) offset the trim rams about an inch outward on the transom and drill 2 new holes in the tabs and re-mount the trim cyls. silghtly offset to the outside. Or, remove the tabs, fill the holes and mount the tabs a couple inches outward. Fortunately, there's room to do so. We'll see when the steerings finished.
I had to bite my tongue today when I picked her and saw the nice greasy finger and foot prints all over her pure white gel. Took a deep breath and just tried to remind myself once everythings done, she'll clean up fine.
I anticipate more surprises, but hey, it'll be all the more satisfying when completed.
I looked at your pics of your steering installations and really learned that they're all different. This one will be par for the course. I'll post some pics as they come available.
Here's my "hi tech." mechanical drawing for the CNC guy... LOL

gcarter
12-06-2007, 06:12 PM
Nate I did what you did to the dash, but in aluminum and painted it. Was only about $35.00, but if you like the bling..............

Jamesbon
12-06-2007, 06:21 PM
Good idea. I probably could have "fabbed" that up in the ol'garage for a fraction of the cost I'm committed to now.

The stainless plate should look good next to the stainless gauge panel I've been "conjuring" up. (is that a word?)

Jamesbon
12-06-2007, 07:54 PM
I knew that was coming... LOL! I got ya covered, you'll "own" me next time we meet.

7" rams. Why?

Jamesbon
12-07-2007, 08:17 AM
I'm not sure if 9" would do it. We already have the tab cylinders off and the glass guy is on his way.

Pismo
12-07-2007, 09:20 AM
Those damn silly dual ram trim tabs get right in the way.

roadtrip se
12-07-2007, 05:52 PM
work just fine with my twin ram bennetts.

As for the helm. I put an aircraft aluminum piece, oval cut slightly smaller then the bezel,
on both sides of the dash, and then sandwiched it all together. It looks factory and is rock
solid after five years.

Still trying to figure out why they let the prozac queen cut these holes in the dash.
I could have done a better job with a drill and hacksaw, blindfolded.

BigGrizzly
12-08-2007, 11:38 AM
I am old I just used 1/4 aluminum and polished it. I also bough a comeplete hydraulic kit From IMCO and just bolted it on. Funny with a complete machine shop in my garage I still buy complete kits, I am just getting old and lazy.

Donzi Racer
12-08-2007, 07:42 PM
I am old I just used 1/4 aluminum and polished it. I also bough a comeplete hydraulic kit From IMCO and just bolted it on. Funny with a complete machine shop in my garage I still buy complete kits, I am just getting old and lazy.
Randy, what did that complete imco kit cost? Thanks, Tom

BigGrizzly
12-09-2007, 10:28 AM
I am trying to remember what the cost was. What I do remember is they sent me enough hose for a 28 footer and every piece of hardware needed including the tool for the little nut for swedging the high pressure line. Even thoe I am a dealer for many brands these were cheaper and I personally liked the look of the IMCO and they fit. On Friday night I removed the old cable steering and Saturday at 3:00 I was done and on the way to the lake.! One thing I learned along time ago, is not to piece different brands together if you don't have to. I did not not want to design a kit or re-invent the wheel. I wanted a good Hydraulic steering system! The other feature is all the replacement parts are a phone call away, and are in stock! One thing I would like to point out is that boat companies use what they can make the most profit or what they get the biggest price break on. Believe me if Donzi was going to get a better quantity price break on IMCO, the would use them.

Jamesbon
12-10-2007, 02:05 PM
Roadtrip,
Doing the same as you, only out of stainless.

Pismo,
I have single ram tabs.

I removed the tabs today and am having the existing two inside/lower holes in the transom filled/glassed and gelled. Once the steerings mounted, the tabs will be located further outside just enough to clear the ram mounts.

This may not even be an issue, but has anyone had exaust tip/hydraulic ram interference when trimmed all the way up? (as in trailer mode)

BUIZILLA
12-10-2007, 07:46 PM
http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.com/full_hydraulic_steering-o20219-en.html

Jamesbon
12-11-2007, 10:34 AM
The trim ram holes are filled, glassed and faired. Shooting gel tomorrow. One stainless 1/4" backing is done, the front oval shaped one is being polished now.

Jamesbon
01-07-2008, 12:30 PM
Finally got her back home with the steering finished just before the holidays. As mentioned earlier, I had to move the trim tabs slightly to the outside. Even where they are now it's tight, I mean "millimeter tight" between the ram and cylinder mount. Shouldn't hurt anything though.

Fastened the tabs Sunday and have new Bennet mount/actuators on the way. The old ones were broken during the de-rig. The indicator wires were split as well as they were never mounted correctly at the factory.

Still have a little air in the lines to bleed, no big deal.

Sorry the pics suck, they from my cell...I'll get better ones later with a REAL camera. ..

roadtrip se
01-07-2008, 04:22 PM
That sucker is wide. The latham plate mounts on top of the drive cap and the mounting points for the rams are farther back, but closer to the drive.

That explains the unique opportunity you had getting them mounted up. Mine are tight, but I was still able to squeeze it all together and I have the twin ram bennetts.

Sorry for the Monday-morning QB, but I was scratching my head wondering why you were having so much fun with this.

End product looks good!

Jamesbon
01-07-2008, 05:46 PM
Thanks Roadtrip. That makes sense. It's an Imco wing plate...

Poodle,
Just ordered and received the standard Bennett actuators/mounts. They'll be plenty out of the water as I have to mount them just slightly higher than called for. Might take away slightly from the fully extended position in the water, but shouldn't be an issue since I never run'em that far down anyway. After moving the second battery to the opposite side of the hull, she rides about perfectly level. Depending on how heavy the cooler is, sometimes I drag one tab slightly when cruising in the 20 to 30 mph area. Above that, the tabs are ridin high :yes:

Thanks for your input fellas! I hope all can learn from my ventures into the unknown... :)

Jamesbon
01-23-2008, 09:06 AM
Minxguy,
These pics are for you.

The hydraulic hoses connect to the helm with hydraulic fittings that are pressed on the hoses. Same in the engine bay. They are routed from the helm back to the bilge via the void between the starboard side of the c0ckpit and hull. A filter and reservoir are also mounted in the engine bay.

You can see the stainless plate we fabbed to cover the gaping hole in the dash from the old Teleflex helm and the backing plate behind the dash.

Jamesbon
01-24-2008, 08:11 AM
"Make sure you adjust the clevis on the port ram to compensate for it being 3/16" further in than the starboard.."

What do you mean by that?

Jamesbon
01-25-2008, 09:08 AM
I assume my mechanic adjusted everything. I'm done turning wrenches.

What should I check? The distance of the steering ram mount from the gimbal housing?