PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know?

DonziFreak
12-05-2007, 04:20 PM
where I might be able to find a shifter/throttle assembly exactly like, or similar to the original ones on the old 18ft barrel-backs? I'm going to be doing a nice little restoration next summer and I am trying to find the hardest parts first.....

glashole
12-05-2007, 04:30 PM
do a search here on the board

I believe Bertram Boy has similar parts to what you are looking for

DonziFreak
12-05-2007, 04:55 PM
I saw his shifter knob and I love it, it looks sooooo exact......probaly will be sending in a order for one sometime.....but I am looking for the actual shifter assembly.....I'll search the boards right now...

gcarter
12-05-2007, 05:07 PM
Von Kamp found a "like new" one on eBay.

vonkamp
12-05-2007, 05:15 PM
Yes, keep an eye out on ebay, they show up alot. Not a real hot item on there either, I got mine for $20 (no other bids).

Oh yea... I got a shifter knob for it from Scott Pearson and it is AWESOME!!

BUIZILLA
12-05-2007, 05:21 PM
look on fleaBay for Great Lakes Skipper under the seller section

they'll have it

BERTRAM BOY
12-05-2007, 06:13 PM
Contact Scott Pearson. I believe he has some spares.

vonkamp
12-12-2007, 08:39 PM
Here's on on eBay if you have not found one yet. It even comes with a chunk of teak attached to it. :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vintage-Chris-Craft-Boat-Shifter-Teak-Wood-Morse_W0QQitemZ130182299228QQihZ003QQcategoryZ2644 8QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

DonziFreak
12-12-2007, 09:01 PM
hmmmm.......it seems diffrent...........does anyone have any pictures of the original shifters installed in the ford powered left-hand drive barrel-backs?

penbroke
12-12-2007, 09:23 PM
The one in my '66 18' is the same as the one vonkamp has pointed out except mine is not polished but painted black. I believe Scott Pearson had a pretty decent variety last I knew.

Frank

DonziFreak
12-12-2007, 09:27 PM
i found a picture of mine......its not centered on the shifter, but bare with me! :smash::propeller:

DonziFreak
12-14-2007, 08:28 AM
Does/Has anyone else have/had/seen this shifter assembly in a Donzi classic before?

penbroke
12-14-2007, 08:56 AM
Yup. They turn up now and again on boats from that era. I have been led to believe they are factory but I don't know for sure.

A quick search turned up this thread... (http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27)

Frank

olredalert
12-14-2007, 09:20 AM
------If thats a picture of what you have now why not buy the other style shifter (with good Chrome) and canabalize it for the handle??? Im not sure but chances are they are the same since they are the same manufacturer and the same era. The housing can probably be powdercoated so you would virtually have a new shifter. The other style shifter might even have extra internal parts you can switch over, but Im not sure of that........Bill S

DonziFreak
12-14-2007, 03:55 PM
That thought came across my mind....but I don't want to spend that kind of money just to steal 1 part and have a bunch of useless items around here....I got enough junk with the races boats as it is....:biggrin:

But what I was thinking about doing was just pulling the lever off my shifter assembly and sanding it down or having it blasted, then re-finishing it back to original, or maybe even try something a little unique.....a little anodizing anyone? :wink:

DonziFreak
12-14-2007, 04:05 PM
A quick search turned up this thread... (http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27)
Frank

Frank, you may have just done more for me than you expected to.....My hull does not have #'s on it....probaly wore away with time.....but because of this, I might actualy be able to pinpoint atleast a window of time in which it may have been laid up......thanks so much!

penbroke
12-14-2007, 05:26 PM
Both BERTRAM BOY and Flatracer were working on ways to date boats based on various construction variables and hardware used. Maybe they can help you narrow it down a bit...

Frank
Glad to help where I can.

DonziFreak
12-14-2007, 09:04 PM
I sent a PM to Flatracer, but I don't know when he might get a chance to respond to it.....hopefuly BERTRAM BOY will chime in here

penbroke
12-14-2007, 09:20 PM
Seperating detailed information from BERTRAM BOY is no small task...

Try e-mail for Flatracer. I don't think he checks in here so much these days.

Good luck!
Frank :wink: :wink:
Still waiting for the results of the engine/drive serial number data...:crossfing:

DonziFreak
12-14-2007, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the advice, e-mail sent! Still hoping BERTRAM BOY chimes in :biggrin.:

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
12-14-2007, 11:32 PM
Hi, fellas.

BERTRAM BOY
12-15-2007, 06:37 AM
Okay, So I'm a bit slow.

Did you try the usual looking for a number written behind the dash with a felt tip marker? Prepare to crawl up there with a flashlight. Another place they've been found is on the backing block for the boweye. If that doesn't work, you could always try to find an engine number. This is difficult at best because most of that info on other boats is not as readily available and a bit hard to compare.

Pics of your boat would be very helpful. It's not a triple hatch, is it?

As far as the shifter goes, it's kind of hard to tell. Some boats were "upgraded" with similar shifters after they left the factory. The only time that I have seen a shifter installed from the factory that was different from the old Morse MV shifter, was when the boat had a different engine option. For example, the barrellback that I sold to Rootsy (aka Red Mistress) originally had a BUick 340 with an OMC drive and starboard steering.

I guess it's possible that when your boat was being built, they didn't have any more MV style shifters and used something else. It's been done with other parts.

I'm not sure if I helped or just confused things more.

Definetly check out Eric's (Flatracer) barrelback spreadsheet. There is a lot of great info there.