PDA

View Full Version : Removal of registration numbers

Tidbart
12-05-2007, 08:31 AM
Here is one for you.

My 22 came with the old owner's out of state registration numbers and the name on the back of the boat. Usually this would not be that big a deal. You just peel them off, clean up the boat, and put on the new numbers.

Just one thing, the numbers and name were put on in gelcoat or paint. :shocking: Evidently he never planned on removing them, ever.

So, now I have to remove the numbers. I have made an attempt to remove them with a razor blade with limited success. Took me about an hour to remove most of 2 letters. There is still residue left the I am sure I can remove with some buffing/compounding. The other part of the equation is not leaving any gouges or cuts in the boats gel.

I am looking for other suggestions for a way to remove these while limiting the damage to original gel. Any suggestions?????:confused:

VetteLT193
12-05-2007, 08:40 AM
Easy off oven cleaner takes it off. I have not used it on anything other than white or off white gel, hopefully someone else here will comment on using it on colored gel.

Tidbart
12-05-2007, 08:57 AM
I am concerned with damage to the underlying gel. In that regard, chemicals scare me.

gcarter
12-05-2007, 09:02 AM
I found out the hard way that most paint removers, including Easy Off will soften the gel.....

I think I would sand (very very carefully) and be prepared to touch up the gel afterwards.

DonziChris
12-05-2007, 10:07 AM
I used carb cleaner sprayed on a rag to remove painted on registration numbers. Had to work at it a while, it removed the paint, and did not harm the gel.
Good Luck Chris

CHACHI
12-05-2007, 10:23 AM
I removed the name on the back of my Minx with EZ Off yellow can. Worked very well.
Ken

MOP
12-05-2007, 11:32 AM
I found out the hard way that most paint removers, including Easy Off will soften the gel.....
I think I would sand (very very carefully) and be prepared to touch up the gel afterwards.

Surprised you had a prob with Easy Off! It is standard issue with the sign painters, I have used it for many years with good success. Another thing to try is Peel Away, works great on most all paints and does -0- damage to gel.

Phil

Barry Eller
12-05-2007, 12:08 PM
Try these products...

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3MAutomotive/Aftermarket/Products/Product-Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECFTDQCEK3_nid=GSBDC7B6R4be4 GV2DMPHQWgl

Tidbart
12-05-2007, 12:20 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

Barry, It looks like the 3M stuff is for adhered-on materials, not likely to remove gel or paint I would think.

George, how did you apply the EZ off?

Maybe I will try a spot with the carb cleaner and EZ off. It will be fairly easy to apply locally with a rag. How long did you let either of these material sit on the gel before removing it????

B

gcarter
12-05-2007, 12:30 PM
Thanks for all the replies.
Barry, It looks like the 3M stuff is for adhered-on materials, not likely to remove gel or paint I would think.
George, how did you apply the EZ off?
Maybe I will try a spot with the carb cleaner and EZ off. It will be fairly easy to apply locally with a rag. How long did you let either of these material sit on the gel before removing it????
B
I just sprayed it on a small area (it foams and stays in place) and let it sit.
I found that by the time this particular paint had softened, I could actually move the gel also!!!! :eek!:
Afterwards it re-hardened, but I don't know what it did to the gel chemically.

Barry Eller
12-05-2007, 02:10 PM
I didn't understand the letters were painted on. I also would recommend wet-sanding carefully. Use 1000/2000 grit wet with a block. Then compound and polish the area.

VetteLT193
12-05-2007, 02:29 PM
I just sprayed it on a small area (it foams and stays in place) and let it sit.
I found that by the time this particular paint had softened, I could actually move the gel also!!!! :eek!:
Afterwards it re-hardened, but I don't know what it did to the gel chemically.

Just curious, was it on original gel or was it on a re-gel?

gcarter
12-05-2007, 02:42 PM
Just curious, was it on original gel or was it on a re-gel?
Original.

VetteLT193
12-05-2007, 02:46 PM
Original.

That's interesting. I wonder if it's even a batch to batch thing, or color based problem. Just speculating as I've never had a problem with white/off-white on at least 3 different boats I can think of. Even did it on a light yellow 32' Pursuit without problems, although the hull was so faded it looked white... I wet-sanded the whole boat out after that so I may have never noticed anything unusual.

Boatclinic
12-05-2007, 04:14 PM
I use an Eraser Wheel available from Paint Supply shops, does not leave residue and can be used on paint or Gelcoat , Fits on a drill and removes Vinyl Graphics, #'s etc. Other wise I am in favor of Easy Off if it was painted on over gelcoat, wipe good with Alcohol before reinstalling, removes oils etc. And I don't mean Whiskey or Vodka

gcarter
12-05-2007, 04:16 PM
When I bought the Minx, it had bottom paint proudly displayed for all to see. Bottom paint seems to be a lot softer and easier to remove. But I noticed the same phenomina w/it. The gel would soften and move a little bit while I was working it while removing the paint. It didn't matter w/that bottom as it was really nasty anyway.

P.S.,
My comment above is about the Testa Rossa.

Tidbart
12-05-2007, 07:30 PM
Well, I got home and had some EZ Off handy, so I gave it a try.

Here is what I did: I got a couple of clean rags, the EZ Off, rubber gloves,and a can of Tuff Stuff. I sprayed a small portion of the rag with the oven cleaner and blotted it on the numbers. I only blotted two of the numbers as this would be easy to clean up if something went wrong. Not knowing how long to wait for it to work, I didn't want to let it sit for too long. I waited about a minute or two and grabbed the razor blade. I started to scrape the edges. It started to come loosen and come off. I ran the blade over the area several times and cleaned up as much as I could in a few minutes. Then I took the Tuff Stuff and wipes it down. I then performed the whole process over again. It appears as though the paint is coming off in layers. So each successive time it took off more. By about the third time, the paint was pretty much history. So, I proceeded to the next numbers doing the same thing. I got one side done tonight. I'll get the other side tomorrow. So far, so good. It does require some patience, but you have to careful with the razor blade. I did nick the gel a few times from before when I was doing this dry. A little buffing, or a lot, should take care of those.

Anyways, everything seems work great. My guess is that is may be paint and not gel. Thanks for the suggestion guys. I never would have thought of oven cleaner, not in a million years.:wink::)

Lenny
12-05-2007, 08:41 PM
Acetone , on the exact areas, and then a light wet sand...

DonziJon
12-05-2007, 09:00 PM
Something I've found over the years. If you're using an industrial razor blade..usually mounted in a flat retractible handle thingy,.. I like to "Strop" the blade on a piece of soft wood like pine. Draw the blade across the piece of wood backwards...away from the edge.....like barbers used to do on a leather strap (strop) hanging off the barber chair.. It takes the "Burr" off the blade which might tend to "Nick" the surface you are trying to shave. John

PS: Anyone on this board ever get a "Barber Shave"? The smoothest shave I ever got. Barbers don't do "Shaves" anymore.

gcarter
12-05-2007, 09:27 PM
Bob, I'm glad it went well for you. The paint must have been pretty soft.
The acetone idea is a good one. Gel is not affected by acetone and it's great for removing grunge.

DickB
12-05-2007, 09:55 PM
I'm late to this thread, but for reference there are paint removers specifically for fiberglass. I still have a partial can made by Klean-Strip, which I used to remove carpet glue from a small boat several years ago.

Tidbart
12-06-2007, 07:17 AM
DonziJon, good tip on the razor blade. I do have some nicks from the blade that need repairing. :doh:

George, I was thinking that acetone would evaporate too quickly to be effective. I will have to give it try since I still have a ways to go.

DickB, I would have gone more towards the route of a paint remover, but initially I thought the letters might have been gel coat.

BUIZILLA
12-06-2007, 07:26 AM
fingernail polish remover... :wink:

smokediver
12-06-2007, 09:03 AM
hey Bob .. I have used easy off with good results ... Super duty compound on a wool pad would probably buzz it right off as well ... I am pretty sure that paint is a single part enamel ... That's what the people who stencil names and numbers usually use ...

Tidbart
12-06-2007, 09:23 AM

Got lots of that around.:yes::wink:

Smoke. what's going on? Still on schedule for a Naples visit this winter.:yes:

Lenny
12-06-2007, 10:55 AM

...is Acetone...

BUIZILLA
12-06-2007, 11:39 AM
...is Acetone... does Max Factor know that? :cool:

smokediver
12-06-2007, 02:35 PM
Got lots of that around.:yes::wink:
Smoke. what's going on? Still on schedule for a Naples visit this winter.:yes:
Any time !!!! I am here .... need for speed is running around here too ...

ANGUS
12-06-2007, 02:42 PM
Quick note on Easy Off...it should work I have used it on fiberglass hoods on heavy trucks...but...be very carefull with your eyes and make sure you have good rubber gloves on....that stuff will give you a heck of a chemical burn if it makes skin contact for any length of time

22billyzx
12-07-2007, 06:58 PM
my numbers were painted on...i used paint thinner (not lacquer thinner) took a little elbow grease,but worked fine and no damage to gel-coat

motorcity
12-07-2007, 07:59 PM
I have seen some people use brake fluid, as it will remove paint. People have used it to remove the clear coat on Glastrons with that heavy mattalic paint they used in the 70's, so they can re-clear it. It does it very slowly. It probably would be a little safer than EZ Off.

CHACHI
12-07-2007, 09:09 PM
Dot 3 or 4 as Dot 5 (silicone) won't remove paint.
Ken

Tidbart
12-08-2007, 07:14 AM
Just to give you an update......

The EZ Off worked perfectly. As I went to the name on the back I got a little more brave. I sprayed about 4-5 letters and let it sit for about 3-4 minutes. I came back and scraped it, most of all the paint came right off. The thicker paint took a little longer to scrape off but there was no work involved. This was the easiest thing to do and it works fast, real fast.

And yes, I was wearing gloves.:yes:

Thanks for the help guys. B

BigGrizzly
12-08-2007, 11:27 AM
I like EZ off too, but have also used a heat gun and a plastic scraper.