PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of this Donzi??

mphatc
12-02-2007, 07:13 PM
I doubt this is real . . .

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/boa/491119423.html

Mario

olredalert
12-03-2007, 08:31 AM
------Mario,,,There was conversation on this boat quite awhile back on OSO. Cant remember exactly what was said though. Old age is a bi??h..........Bill S

lars
12-04-2007, 04:32 AM
Comment by STEEB on offshoreonly.com
"The original ”The Cigarette” was a 32' Cary, built at Hydroglas in Hialeah by Bob Vroman in 1969. The plug was built there (in secret) by Nick Chapman, who cut the chines on Brownies bandsaw at Nova Marine. The hull was designed by Harry Schoell, and was a modification of the very successful full-height 28' Magnum"
Allan "Brownie" Brown Qoute,
"Aronow and Elton had the same boat. Simone made the original 'Beep Beep' in the same mold."
offshoreonly.com
10-12-2007, 11:54 PM #3
Top Banana
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Yeah....it's an old Cobra. Jean Claude Simon took the 28 Magnum as the base and stretched it and then added a Paolo Caliri (SP?) deck design to it and .....instant Cobra.
another qoute,
" Jean Claude Simon, a French underground fighter as a youth and later a Ferrari race team driver, boasted that his new boats would one day shoot down the sport's top hulls. Chided and criticized for his arrogance, Simon had the last laugh as his Cary and Cobra hulls went on to win the US Open, Sports, and Modified classes! The most famous was Joel Halpern's 38' Cobra "Beep Beep" which he used to win back to back U.S. Open class titles in 1976 and 1977." (from "Searace" by John Crouse)
My conclusion, the boat is one of the early Jean-Claude Simon built boats. After he bought what was left of Cary Marine ,around 1973-1975,(somebody knows better than me who the Gentleman Elton Cary sold to in 1973). It might have been JC Simon allready in 1973. However, when Simon bought Cary Marine used this new deck design on the old Cary 32'(original"The Cigarette") hull. See the 1974 Cary 27' in red with to outboards below. I've got the feeling that this 32' boat was produced at about the same time. Keep in mind that this was roughly 5 years after Aronow asked Harry Schoell to design the original hull. To me it's amazing how much need there is to use the Aronow affiliation no matter how the truth has to be stretched to build value in an old boat. The bottom line is, would I buy this boat? If the boat has no rot in it and the engines check out right I wouldn't think twice, it's gotto be a nice ride.

olredalert
12-04-2007, 09:41 AM
------Thanks Lars!!!........Bill S