PDA

View Full Version : Would you throw in your boat to sell your house?

chappy
12-02-2007, 04:49 PM
This is different. I'm trying to sell my house in this crappy sellers market. I don't need to sell, just looking for more house in this buyers market. A realtor came by to see it and noticed the Donzi in the garage. He knew a little about boats and said, "Nice boat, don't see too many of those classics around". Then, he proceeded to ask me if I would be willing to include it in the sale of the house if a prospective buyer asked. I thought he was joking, but he then added "You'd be surprised what buyers ask these days". I shrugged it off and said if the numbers were good, I'd throw it in. Just curious what others would do?

Rich

Tony
12-02-2007, 04:55 PM
Tough call. If the numbers are very right, sell it and upgrade. That is presuming it's not a Donzi that has been in your family for 35 years, or something like that. After all, it's just a boat (albeit a Donzi!)...there are lots of others out there.
:beer:

Marlin275
12-02-2007, 05:06 PM
only if it was an offer
you just couldn't refuse:wink:

Carl C
12-02-2007, 05:54 PM
I wouldn't. I like it too much.

Carl C
12-02-2007, 06:27 PM
Actually there are too many variables that only you can answer. How badly do you need to sell? How much is your boat worth and how much is it worth to YOU? Would you rather be in a different boat anyway?

DonziJon
12-02-2007, 06:30 PM
I wouldn't. These are two different tranactions. Keep it that way. What's the boat worth? What's the house worth? The boat question just muddys the waters. :lookaroun: JOHN

roadtrip se
12-02-2007, 07:12 PM
Never know. I applaud your agent for asking the question, as it is the sign of a creative sales person...

As for me? Stranger things have happened. Try selling a nice house in Michigan right now...

gcarter
12-02-2007, 07:29 PM
My brother-in-law was telling me there are all kind of offers to sell houses in the Las Vegas market. Some pretty creative.

chappy
12-04-2007, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the replies. Like I said, I don't need to sell the house, just looking for more house in this market. I figure the boat is worth 3% to 4% of the value of the house. No family memories, as I bought the boat in '02. I figure the realtor was driving at the fact that legitimate offers for real estate in this market are few and far between, and he wanted to explore every possible avenue to a potential sale. Not that it is likely at all, but if someone asked and the numbers were right, I'd throw it in. After all, it's easier to find an 18 or 22 for sale these days than it is to find a buyer for my house.

wrussellw
12-04-2007, 03:59 PM
Not sure if you are located on the water, close, etc. I sold a waterfront house with boathouse a few years back. I could tell the couple was pushing their borrowing limit. The buyer(husband) came clean and admitted that he was not going to be able to afford the house and then purchase a boat anytime soon.
One of the big advantages of the property was the boathouse, hoist and having a boat. So he owned up and admitted rolling my boat into a 30 mortgage would allow him to have a home and boat now, instead of hoping to purchase one in the future. In this case I feel I got a premium for the house and boat. Not my problem he financed a boat for 30 years. He was banking on appreciation to pay for the next boat.
Second time around similar situation, in my opinion the buyer basically wanted my boat for free. Passed on it and sold the boat and house separately.
Find a guy that wants a house and boat and can only afford a house, then you probaly are going to make a deal.

dwiggl
12-05-2007, 12:21 PM
If you do the deal and the buyer is a "1st time boat owner type geek". You know, the ones that entertain us at the boat ramp??? Well when you pass on, to that special place, it may just be a desert!

I agree w/ wrusselw's insights. Good agent too! If you sell, better check the agent's garage afterward.....