PDA

View Full Version : Engine Hatch Hardware Configuration

Jraysray
12-01-2007, 03:15 PM
What is the proper set up for the engine hatch locking hardware? This chunk of wood came with boat when I bought it. Need to get it out of there! Anyone have a pic with the correct set up?

Dr. Dan
12-01-2007, 06:14 PM
:smash: Jay....mine has a peice of wood attached to the Bulkhead also .... I sanded and painted it with white bilge kote...not sure what is factory ...but I think its not much different... as for the actual Hatch Support... of course you need to invest in some Gas Hatch Lifts available at any West Marine or Boat U S store, or Overtons...

Doc O Clause :spongebob:

Jraysray
12-01-2007, 06:48 PM
:smash: Jay....mine has a peice of wood attached to the Bulkhead also .... I sanded and painted it with white bilge kote...not sure what is factory ...but I think its not much different... as for the actual Hatch Support... of course you need to invest in some Gas Hatch Lifts available at any West Marine or Boat U S store, or Overtons...
Doc O Clause :spongebob:
Please...... tell me this is not factory design. With my Donzi's varied past I always thought this was some type of "modification".
I do want gas hatch lifts. I guess maybe I need to start a thread about that for the 18's. Anybody got pics for that set up? Nevermind, new thread coming!:yes:

CHACHI
12-01-2007, 08:07 PM
My 1987 Minx has the same block of wood attached to the bulkhead with the latching hardware screwed to the wood. My 1999 22c has a piece of aluminum angle that the latch attaches to.
Boat is not near so I can't post a photo.
Ken

gcarter
12-02-2007, 03:26 PM
My problem w/the old block of wood is that the latch screws into endgrain and will not hold very well. I've seen more than one suffer from blow over onto the lifting ring and putting a hole in it. My Minx was one of those. I bought new hardware from Lakeside w/the aluminum angle. It's the only way I'll go.

Madcow
12-05-2007, 09:28 PM
Thats pretty close to what I have on my 1979 18'. I have my deck off, upsidown now and planed on glassing the block over, and to the deck. I'm using gas struts so at least I wont have the abuse of the rod anymore. Hopefully that plus the outer layer of glass will keep it in place.