PDA

View Full Version : Boating Safety LICENCE

DonziJon
11-30-2007, 05:01 PM
I need to get a LICENCE to operate my boat.. Manditory.. starting in January for me. That means everybody NOW. I'm 66. I've Sailed my own boat to Bermuda and back. TWICE, OH: and that was Singlehanded. I KNOW what's up when it comes to Safety. No GPS navigation then. It was Celestial.

I think 41+ States have signed on to this "Contracter" who does the testing for the LICENCE. http://www.boat-ed.com/ri/ I'm not particularly concerned with Rhode Island, my home state, because they don't really concern themselves with "Random" boardings.

However, I spend most of my boating time on Lake Winni, NH where the Marine Patrol are dedicated to insuring that everyone is in COMPLIENCE....With... whatever. If I drove a Bayliner (underwater exhaust) I would be less concerned... BUT I drive a Donzi so I could be stopped at any time.

You ALL should take the practice test....just for amusement, if nothing else...on the website. Scroll down and pick your own state test to take. The questions VARY every time you "Take" the test. Always 75 questions. You have to score 80% to pass.

Just to get your interest: One of the questions was:

"How much water should you drink while out in your boat....to prevent De Hydration." The correct answer was: ONE Quart every hour...OH WAIT: If you gotta GO, You BETTER NOT Pee over the side.

I'd like to hear from those of you who take the Practice Test. Does all this HELP Boating Safety?? :nilly:

MY Attitude:..YUP: I've got one. I think someone on this board has something in their Avitar: "You Can't Fix Stoopid":

John

Marlin275
11-30-2007, 05:49 PM
I don't understand how this works.
I live in New York a state that does not require a LICENSE to operate my boat.
I go to New Hampshire a state that requires one.
So can I get ticketed in New Hampshire for not having the license
THAT IS NOT REQUIRED IN NEW YORK.
I think the answer is yes?

Donziweasel
11-30-2007, 05:53 PM
Hmmm.... I looked and Wyoming isn't there, but Montana, where I boat sometimes is. I did not see a practice exam, only a real one for $20.00. I have been boating since I was 7. This is complete B**&%&$!

vonkamp
11-30-2007, 06:00 PM
I took the practice test...And failed miserably. :doh:

Back to the books...

sweet 16 1966
11-30-2007, 07:06 PM
63!! Guess I need to know more.

penbroke
11-30-2007, 07:35 PM
...So can I get ticketed in New Hampshire for not having the license THAT IS NOT REQUIRED IN NEW YORK.
I think the answer is yes?

You are correct sir. :(

At one point I saw that a USCG Captains License would be accepted as well but now I don't even see that. :mad:

Frank

tiger lily
11-30-2007, 07:40 PM
i trailed down to ohio from michigan summer 06, launched the boat at the ramp, started it up to let it warm up, went and parked truck, walked back to boat to find 3 county sherrifs, and 2 coast guards guys,the usually saftey inspection stuff, however, in ohio i was suppose to have a boaters saftey liscence, even though i dont need one for michigan, boat has michigan numbers, michigan plates on truck and trailer, but it didnt matter because i was in ohio, they wrote me a written warning for it but no ticket,i never went back to that ramp again because of the hassle, sometimes i expect it in the donzi at the ramp, the usual saftey inspection, but i was launching and running our proline center console that weekend, and i still got hammerd by the law, i understand that they are doing there jobs, and i dont have a problem with them checking me out cause im usally always good(been hit for expired flares once), but the fact that i can run the boat in one state and not in the other kinda gets me, i think its just another way for them to collect money thats all

DonziFreak
11-30-2007, 08:24 PM
Wow......i got a 67........makes me feel stupid :(

need for speed
11-30-2007, 08:31 PM
Had mine for over 10 years... have n't been asked for it yet...

Formula Jr
11-30-2007, 09:02 PM
Its about time I got my six pack.... a 100 ton is good in any state.
I could say its all full of crap about the licensing. But we all know whats happened with the weekend warriors discovering that there are no speed limits on the water. Being a captain is in your blood, you can't help it if you are drawn to the water. Its not a decision anyone makes. Too many people now on the water have no call to be there. And they have to be weeded out. I wish the license was 50 times harder and written by real boaters instead of DMV people.

I can pass it. So it doesn't really matter to me.

For you, the oldie thyme boater that has forgotten more then we knowns, will be in a tough transition. Did you know that the navy at Annapolis doesn't even teach celestial nav. any more. They have three other systems to fall back on.
All of them are based on electricity. A Basic Cadet, in our own navy can't do what you know to do. Hang on to that knowledge, we may need it one day.

Carl C
11-30-2007, 09:20 PM
Wow......i got a 67........makes me feel stupid :( I got a 67 too! I guess no license for us.:(

penbroke
11-30-2007, 09:37 PM
Its about time I got my six pack.... a 100 ton is good in any state. ...

Do it. Don't stop at the "6". Master is Master and should be good regardless of tonnage. The test is the same.:yes: Only difference is the size of the vessel you log your time on...

Frank :cool:
Nationwide...

DonziFreak
11-30-2007, 11:18 PM
I got a 67 too! I guess no license for us.:(
ya...typical me....haha
what I think is crazy is I need a license for my Donzi, but not for my Race Boat? they dont require any kind of safety course to become a race boat driver! just a certification test that you can escape your boat incase of submergence.....

Being a captain is in your blood, you can't help it if you are drawn to the water. Its not a decision anyone makes. Too many people now on the water have no call to be there.
I agree 100% on that, way to many idiots out there thinking owning a speedboat is all fun and games........samething with personal watercraft and yatchs.....they actualy banned PWC's from Elliot Key down here in Miami because morons on PWC's were RUNNING OVER SWIMMERS in NO WAKE ZONES..........thats flat out ridiculous......and now I have a Yamaha XL-1200 that I can only use in a private lake as a retrieval craft incase one of the race boats breaks down....doesnt see any other usage than that....

DONZI
12-01-2007, 06:10 AM
I think you are all set in R.I., Jon.
Isn't this the age requirement for R.I. waters?:confused:
Chapter 4: The Legal Requirements of Boating
Who May Operate a Vessel
All those born on or after January 1, 1986, are required to pass an approved boater education course before they legally may operate any vessel powered by a motor of more than 10 horsepower. Anyone operating a personal watercraft, regardless of age, must have passed an approved boater education course.

GO B.C. EAGLES!

RedDog
12-01-2007, 07:15 AM
In TN, everyone born after 1988 has to have the license. My oldest son was born in 1988 but I told him a couple of years ago that he could never take the Donzi out unless he had the license. This pissed him off but didn't concern me because I really didn't want to let him take it. Well last month about the time I winterized the boat he showed up with a license.

I'm dreading that conversation in the Spring :doh::doh::doh: :bonk::bonk::bonk:

glashole
12-01-2007, 07:43 AM
We have them in Ontario

no big deal

it was put in in stages mainly to get the kids on jet ski's to know the rules of the water etc

I think it is a good idea

Sweet little 16
12-01-2007, 09:59 AM
tests and schools are not to prove what you know but what you don't know
I am a passenger by trade, didn't think i needed the course my daughter wanted to ride a jet ski in NJ you need a license/pass the course i took the corse with her i am now a better passenger

DonziFreak
12-01-2007, 10:37 AM
sometimes I think the easiest way to fix the issues we have on our waterways is to just simply have anyone how wants a boat take a IQ test....:bonk:
seriously tho, I believe in making our waters safer for all to travel on, so in that sence I agree with the licenses, but I just don't personaly want to deal with the hassle of getting ANOTHER damn license! motorcycle liscene, drivers license, and now a damn boaters license? god I hate the damn DMV......

DonziJon
12-02-2007, 06:13 PM
I took the FAA "Private Pilot" written exam in spring 1988. There were 50 questions. I can't recall what the passing grade had to be. I got 96 out of 100. After that I had to demonstrate that I could fly the plane....with an FAA Check Pilot in the other seat. I got the LICENCE.

I took the Safe Boating LICENCE "Practice Test" and got 84 without any study. (I think that was 12 missed questions) I have no doubt that my previous boating experience (and common sence) helped with that score. As someone said, It ain't what you know, it's what you don't know.

All that being said.... there are a number of questions on the "Safe Boating" TEST that are ludicrous. Did you know that "Hydrogen Peroxide" is the best thing to CLEAN your boat with? I didn't know this. Have any of you used this to clean your boat?? I use Hydorgen Peroxide to clean out my ears every few months or so. I like "Soft Scrub" for the boat ...or just Car Wash.
What am I missing?? :nilly::nilly:JOHN

mphatc
12-02-2007, 08:13 PM
John,

I'm with you on this one . . I've been on Winni since 1956 . . and find the NH approach a bit out of control. If the NH Marine Patrol and the legislature were to listen to experienced boaters and actually observe what is happening vs some irritated shoreland owners who only hear boats and have no on the water experience they would soon recognize that the problems relate to wake size, and not speed.
I digress . . .
I took the RI Practice Test and scored an 83% . lots of RI specific questions there.
John, AFAIK . . NH now requires us to sit in a class . . we can't just test out . . . :confused:

Mario