PDA

View Full Version : SEADOGs in Mt. Dora 2008

Last Tango
11-29-2007, 04:06 PM
TIDBART - Do we need a new Plan A?
Antique boat show no longer a free sail
Martin E. Comas | Sentinel Staff Writer
November 25, 2007
TAVARES - For the first time in more than two decades, boating lovers will have to dig into their wallets if they want to check out the Antique Classic Boat Show when it moves from Mount Dora to Tavares' Wooton Park next year.
Event organizers and city officials said they will charge $5 per person per day for the show scheduled for March 28, 29 and 30. A three-day pass will cost $10.
From 20,000 to 25,000 people are expected to attend the show on the northern shore of Lake Dora, and all ticket-sale revenues will go to the city.
City officials said they expect to collect at least $100,000 from the event. The money will be used to pay for $250,000 Tavares spent last summer to buy 20 portable boat docks to lure in the boat show, according to Bill Neron, Tavares' economic-development director.
However, Terry Fiest, the boat show's chairman, said that after 2008, the city and the Sunnyland Chapter of the Antique & Classic Boat Society, which organizes the event, intend to agree on splitting the revenues.
Since 1988, the boat society has held the annual event in Mount Dora's Simpson Cove and Gilbert Park. Last March, it attracted tens of thousands of boat lovers from across the country and featured more than a hundred boats on display.
But boat-show organizers said in June that the event had grown so large in recent years that it could barely squeeze into the Mount Dora parks.
The larger Wooton Park in Tavares, however, would be a bigger and more suitable spot for the festival, according to organizers.
That's when they decided to move the show across Lake Dora to Tavares.
Fiest dismissed suggestions that the show may attract fewer visitors next year because of the new admission fees.
"I don't think they will be getting sticker shock," he said. Many boat show visitors "were being charged for parking in Mount Dora, whereas parking will be free in Tavares."
Fiest added that boat-show organizers wanted to charge admission for the past several years, but the Mount Dora spot would have made it difficult.
"In Mount Dora, it was totally open and it was impossible to build a fence just for the event," he said.
Most antique boat shows across the country charge admission, according to Fiest. For example, a wooden antique boat show in Lake Tahoe, Nev., costs up to $20 per person.
"Five dollars is a deal," Fiest said about the Tavares show.
But Mount Dora City Council member Judy Smathers said she was surprised when she heard attendees will be charged admission.
"I thought: 'You're kidding me,"' she said. "I don't know how it will go, but I wish them luck."
Fiest said members from his organization plan to meet with Mount Dora officials in December to coordinate activities between both cities, including offering a water taxi and train service to shuttle event-goers to hotels and restaurants.
"My goal, my desire, is to include the three cities," he said, referring to Tavares, Eustis and Mount Dora. "That's why we moved this to Wooton Park, a more central location."

gcarter
11-29-2007, 04:35 PM
I went by there the other day and nothing was going on. There were about six docks rafted together, not twenty......
Also nothing has been done to the ramp which, with the low water, is only about 15" deep at the drop off.
But I'm sure etherything will pull together before the show date.

pmreed
11-29-2007, 08:42 PM
If we go by boat, maybe we skip the entry fee, though, after spending over $400 for my room at the Lakeside, 10 bucks isn't even noise level.:yes:

Phil

Tidbart
12-03-2007, 06:38 AM
Mark,
If times are hard, I'll pay your entrance fee.:)
Bob

Last Tango
12-03-2007, 01:20 PM
Well, times are fine, but my real reason for posting was not the $5 entry fee, but the relocation of the boat show to the other end of Lake Dora, in Tavares. That location seems pretty exposed to the weather compared to Mt. Dora's harbor. And if we are gathering in Mt. Dora, then simply walking to to boat show is no longer a choice, either.
Just wondering if we want to stick to the Lakeside Hotel, or find somewhere else. For me, I couldn't care less, but I am disappointed that we can't just walk over now from the hotel like before.

Tidbart
12-03-2007, 01:38 PM
Mark,

As the event gets closer I can look to adjust as needed.
We will just have to wait and see.

As I see it now, the Lakeside still works well as a starting and gathering place.
One good point is that the ramps in Mount Dora should be wide open for us.

B

Cuda
12-09-2007, 07:39 PM
I don't know, that five bucks is damn near two gallons of gas.:garfield::smash::bonk:

pmreed
12-11-2007, 12:22 PM
Heck, Joe, I burn that much gas just running from the Lakeside to Tavares!!

Phil

Donzi Racer
12-21-2007, 08:49 PM
I don't know, that five bucks is damn near two gallons of gas.:garfield::smash::bonk:

By the time the event gets here, it may only buy 1 gallon of gas. Getting crazy out there! Tom

gcarter
01-06-2008, 12:19 PM
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/community/news/tavares/orl-lritchie0608jan06,0,4883298.column

Some plans the city of Tavares has will greatly impact this event.......

COMMENTARY Lakefront

Tavares plan for downtown looks a winner
Lauren Ritchie | COMMENTARY
January 6, 2008
John Drury may or may not be good at running a city, but he is one heck of a salesman.

Listening to the Tavares administrator describe what's in store for the city's waterfront made me want to go into business, just to be part of this intriguing plan.

Drury started with this premise: "Downtown continues to atrophy." He chose an excellent word -- atrophy. It means "waste away" or "decline progressively."

Unlike the way many cities go about this, the Tavares plan assembled by Drury and his staff is not just to pretty up the place, hoping that business will be so charmed that it returns.

It goes far beyond that. It is simply the most well-thought-out plan to reinvigorate a downtown that any city in Lake has come up with in 30 years.

The plan looks good on paper because its single goal is economic development, because the city is displaying flexibility -- a rare trait in government -- and because the city is willing to invest -- but not carry the whole burden.

Will it work?

Ah, there's the rub. Certainly it's a multimillion-dollar risk for taxpayers and a personal risk for the city administrator.

"If it doesn't work?" He paused. "Well, you're out, Drury."

Somehow, cities around Lake have managed to resist reinvention, even though circumstances have blown their economic pilings from beneath them.

Drury ticked off businesses in Tavares that recently have closed or have been bought to be torn down for the county to expand its government complex. Some cities would whine about this. Drury sees it as an opportunity.

While the building market is in a slump and county government is ripping the heck out of downtown, Drury and his staff will be building a many-legged economic stool. The city administrator's theory is that the "death of economic stability" is dependence on a single factor. (Remember the citrus industry before the freezes of the mid-1980s?)

Drury and city staffers hope their economic platform will be done by 2010, ready for businesses to climb onto and settle themselves.

The first leg involves creating three zones on the waterfront of Lake Dora.

*The first is the community park that now contains Wooton Wonderland, the children's playground. It also would have a Women's Club designed and rebuilt to resemble the original 1912 structure. A canoe and sailboat launch and a children's splash park would round out that portion.

*The second would be a venue for special events. Even before it's constructed, the city is practicing -- 12 events are set for 2008, beginning with an antique boat festival. The area would feature floating docks that click apart like big Legos to form a stage and crowd-control fences that would allow the city to collect entrance fees. At $3 or $4 apiece, that would be "significant revenue" for the city, Drury said.

*The third part would contain a marina, water-taxi dock, seaplane harbor and ship's store that is to be constructed to resemble the historic Woodlea House that was torched earlier this year. The area would offer fuel to both boaters and fliers and would operate seven days a week under a contract with a private operator -- with Tavares getting a cut.

Add to the plan trains traveling to special events (one to a Magic game in Orlando on Nov. 18 filled to capacity); two 49-passenger water taxis (donated by Broward County) for transportation to nearby cities; a trailhead for bikers, walkers and skaters (bikes could be rented there); a bus station (it's already there); a Mediterranean-style hotel within walking distance (the property already has been bought and preliminary plans submitted); and condos (proposed last year) on the western edge of it all.

"There's so much going on, it gets confusing," Drury said.

Yes.

Meanwhile, Drury said, the city is seeking the "crumbs" from the biomedical industry that Orlando is trying to attract. The city has targeted smaller companies that won't be able to afford the bigger urban project and is trying to entice them to the area near Florida Hospital Waterman on U.S. Highway 441. And Tavares is working to create a "freight village" near Southridge Industrial Park, south of town on County Road 561.

Finally, the city is working with Stetson University and the University of Central Florida to piggyback on the county government's expanding complex by offering the types of space and services that ancillary businesses need.

Whew.

The cost is estimated at $8.3 million, but the city has gotten $800,000 in grants so far, plus the donation of the two boats. It has applied for $1 million more in grants. The rest will be taxpayer dollars.

Though the city won't strain to pay the bill -- it can repay the loan with its utility taxes alone -- the plan is still a financial risk because it involves spending money from citizens without a guaranteed return.

But for a change, someone is doing some thinking before opening the city wallet. Not everything is worked out, but the details have been considered as well as the larger picture. The city began the process by sponsoring a methodical procedure in which it asked residents what they wanted and then built the plan around their desires.

Drury is leading it. Now, there's another key word: leading. Thoughtful leadership is scarce around here, especially in government.

The payoff or failure is two years away, Drury reckons. That's when the local economy will turn around, he thinks.

"Those ready will be invested in, and those not ready will be passed by," he said. "We'll come out of the chute in 2010 ready for people to reinvest in downtown."

SilverBack
01-12-2008, 04:20 PM
Hello all of you SEADOGS!! What happened to you website? Is this down around Orlando? Is this just a boat show or do you guys do any boating? Are you guys the same bunch that does Eufaula? Thanks!!

Tidbart
01-12-2008, 05:01 PM
Hello all of you SEADOGS!! What happened to you website? Is this down around Orlando? Is this just a boat show or do you guys do any boating? Are you guys the same bunch that does Eufaula? Thanks!!

What website. Group is too informal for a website.

This event is about a half hour drive northwest of Orlando on the Harris chain of lakes. There is a boat show, in Tavares, and other events in Mt Dora, antiques and artsy stuff.

Yes, we do boating in this event. Haven't finalized anything yet.

Come and join us.

Bob

Donzi Racer
01-27-2008, 10:01 AM
What website. Group is too informal for a website.

This event is about a half hour drive northwest of Orlando on the Harris chain of lakes. There is a boat show, in Tavares, and other events in Mt Dora, antiques and artsy stuff.

Yes, we do boating in this event. Haven't finalized anything yet.

Come and join us.

Bob

Hey guys, we have a running boat this year and are ready to go play. Does anybody have any thoughts or plans for the Traveres/Mt Dora event in March? Also is there any interest in the following weekend there with the racing event? Does anyone have any more info on either event. We have some people from Tennesee that may want to come join us in Florida. Thanks for any help, Tom

Tidbart
01-28-2008, 08:25 AM
Hey guys, we have a running boat this year and are ready to go play. Does anybody have any thoughts or plans for the Traveres/Mt Dora event in March? Also is there any interest in the following weekend there with the racing event? Does anyone have any more info on either event. We have some people from Tennesee that may want to come join us in Florida. Thanks for any help, Tom

Tom
Tentative plans are for a possible fun run on Friday, dock party on Friday night at the Lakeside, and a boat show run with lunch on Saturday.
Specifics will be ironed out as the show approaches.

Bob

gcarter
01-29-2008, 12:22 PM
Guys, I won't be there this year.
That's the weekend of the Water Quality Association convention in 'Vegas.
This will be the first one I've missed since I bought the Minx.

Tidbart
01-29-2008, 12:30 PM
Sorry to hear that George.
I can't believe you are picking Las Vegas over Tavares.:shocking::wink:

Bob

gcarter
02-14-2008, 01:55 PM
I went by the park today. The contractor was busy ripping out the old ramp. No sign of a cofferdam to build a new one in the same location though. Maybe they'll move it. They had on hand;
one barge w/a small crane
one truck mounted crane
one front end loader
about 25 people, some in wet suits...not divers mind you, they were in the water though.
still only 12 sections of floating docks, alll rafted together.

Tidbart
02-14-2008, 02:06 PM
George,

did you happen to notice the water level?

We have been getting a good amount of rain this winter. I hope the level is OK come gathering time.

B

gcarter
02-14-2008, 02:24 PM
Hi Bob;
When Griz came by the other day, I took him to the local ramp and showed him the level. We asked a local 'toon boat "Captain" about the level. He said it was up about 6". We were supposed to get over 2" of rain the other night when the front came through.

Tidbart
02-15-2008, 07:07 AM
Hi Bob;
When Griz came by the other day, I took him to the local ramp and showed him the level. We asked a local 'toon boat "Captain" about the level. He said it was up about 6". We were supposed to get over 2" of rain the other night when the front came through.

George,
Did he mean 6" from the low or 6" above the normal level? I am concerned about the Dora canal and the passage of boats. It would be a real pain and put a huge damper on our gathering if we couldn't get through.:shocking:

Bob

gcarter
02-15-2008, 07:59 AM
George,
Did he mean 6" from the low or 6" above the normal level? I am concerned about the Dora canal and the passage of boats. It would be a real pain and put a huge damper on our gathering if we couldn't get through.:shocking:
Bob

Bob, I don't think it's any lower than it was last year and I had no problem getting through then. Just raise the drive to the limit switch.

gcarter
02-23-2008, 09:37 AM
We're getting some SERIOUS rain here today.
Yipee!
The lakes are coming up!!!!! :smash:

Cuda
02-27-2008, 02:01 PM
We got some VERY serious rain yesterday, along with 60 mph winds, hail, and lightning.:eek!:

gcarter
02-27-2008, 02:12 PM
I went by the park yesterday and got some shots of the new ramp and some of the floating docks that are being installed. They're spending some pretty good money for the improvements. They're rebuilding the rest rooms, a lots of paint, etc.
The new ramp is two lanes wide, instead of one, and quite a bit longer.
Overall, I think it'll be a good venue for this event.
Pictures tomorrow, I hope.

Cuda
02-28-2008, 05:37 AM
George, how much parking do they have there? That's one of my favorite things about Hickory Point, there is plenty of parking.

gcarter
02-28-2008, 06:40 AM
George, how much parking do they have there? That's one of my favorite things about Hickory Point, there is plenty of parking.
That's the question of the day......
Considering the park will be closed off to collect admission, any parking inside the park doesn't count.
I suspect they will be running parking shuttles. We'll see.

gcarter
02-28-2008, 09:19 AM
Here's some pictures;
1) The new ramp....two lanes, nice grooving, and a lot longer.
2) Another view of the ramp.
3) A view of the pier in the distance where they are driving pilings to extend the existing pier.
4) Another view of the existing pier and the barge in the distance.

Tidbart
02-28-2008, 10:23 AM
I would have to guess that we could now use the Mt Dora ramp without too much of a problem. Should be plenty of parking available.

B

BUIZILLA
02-28-2008, 10:50 AM
George, where would you guess they are parking the RV's for the CRBA event?

gcarter
02-28-2008, 11:53 AM
George, where would you guess they are parking the RV's for the CRBA event?
Good question Jim....I checked all the appropriate websites and most are still under construction!
But here's the phone # of the Tavares City Administrator;
352-742-6209.
According to what I've learned, both water taxis and trains will be running to Mt. Dora. I believe the Mt. Dora ramp will be available.

catch 22
03-02-2008, 10:00 AM
Dad took the Minx out today and went half way through the Dora Canal before turning around he bumped 3 different times. Trimmed all the way up and only 2.5ft of water.:eek:

Tidbart
03-02-2008, 11:12 AM
We have had a lot of rain over this winter. I wonder where it is going? :confused:

I have some theories.....

Army COE is diverting to Lake Lanier to stop the whining.:shocking::doh::wink:

The fish are drinking too much.:shocking::eek:

Cuda
03-08-2008, 10:18 AM
It's damn sure rained enough the last two days and nights. Always during Bikeweek. :(

Cuda
03-08-2008, 04:35 PM
Because of all the rain, and 25 to 35 mph winds today, it must have blown over a bunch of old oak trees. My power went out at 11:30, and after five hours, I figured I better get the generator set up, because it's going to be cold tonight. I finally get it running, and just as I was about to plug it in, it ran out of gas. I go to the store, buy gas, and a sub, get it running again, and I mean the second I was plugging the six way into the cord, the power came back on. :mad:

mjw930
03-08-2008, 08:15 PM
Because of all the rain, and 25 to 35 mph winds today, it must have blown over a bunch of old oak trees. My power went out at 11:30, and after five hours, I figured I better get the generator set up, because it's going to be cold tonight. I finally get it running, and just as I was about to plug it in, it ran out of gas. I go to the store, buy gas, and a sub, get it running again, and I mean the second I was plugging the six way into the cord, the power came back on. :mad:

For whatever reason DeLand got hit the worst with fallen trees today. We had 25 - 35 mph winds here on the coast with some serious gusts.

I put up a 10' x 30' lean-to style canopy beside my garage to keep the sun, rain and bird droppings off the 22 a couple weeks ago. These winds and rain put my anchoring to the test. luckily it passed :D

Cuda
03-09-2008, 10:41 AM
For whatever reason DeLand got hit the worst with fallen trees today. We had 25 - 35 mph winds here on the coast with some serious gusts.

I put up a 10' x 30' lean-to style canopy beside my garage to keep the sun, rain and bird droppings off the 22 a couple weeks ago. These winds and rain put my anchoring to the test. luckily it passed :D
Good deal! When it gets warmer, you'll have to come over to run the river with me.

sweet 16 1966
03-09-2008, 08:47 PM
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34461-d85208-Reviews-Lakeside_Inn-Mount_Dora_Florida.html

Sounds like a fine line between antique and old. The ramp is a big plus if open for launching.

Who is coming to run ?

Cuda
03-09-2008, 09:29 PM
I most likely will be there.

Tidbart
03-10-2008, 06:37 AM
It is that time again, folks.

I would like to get an idea who will be attending this years event. If you would, state your name, number in your group, yes or no on whether you will have a boat, and yes or no if will be attending lunch on Saturday at Gator's in Eustis (noon).

Gator's reservation has been set up for a month or two but I need to confirm a number about a week prior.

We may be able to do a casual run on Friday, if enough interest is shown.

Boat ramps: I would not plan on using the new ramp at the boat show. We were lucky on a few occasions to get a boat in there in Mt Dora, but why attempt only to be told no. I am planning on using the now open ramp in Mt Dora.

Bob Wilson, 2-4 in group, yes boat, yes lunch.:propeller:

Bob

gcarter
03-11-2008, 12:28 PM
On the way back from lunch, I went by the City ramp in Leesburg and found that the water is up close to a foot.....maybe 9"-10".
Every little bit helps.

Donzi Racer
03-11-2008, 05:02 PM
It is that time again, folks.

I would like to get an idea who will be attending this years event. If you would, state your name, number in your group, yes or no on whether you will have a boat, and yes or no if will be attending lunch on Saturday at Gator's in Eustis (noon).

Gator's reservation has been set up for a month or two but I need to confirm a number about a week prior.

We may be able to do a casual run on Friday, if enough interest is shown.

Boat ramps: I would not plan on using the new ramp at the boat show. We were lucky on a few occasions to get a boat in there in Mt Dora, but why attempt only to be told no. I am planning on using the now open ramp in Mt Dora.

Bob Wilson, 2-4 in group, yes boat, yes lunch.:propeller:

Bob

Bob, we are gleefully awaiting the event. It will be our first of these although we have been in Florida for 6 years now. And we are pretty close too. Tom & Rose Bawsel, guest will be David Ralson & Wife, we are hoping for Mike Brown & hopefully his Dad is maybe coming. I have not talked to him in a week or two about it. He is going to kill me because I have bought 2 Donzi's and not told him about them yet. Also We are hoping to get a new Registry Member from Alabama to come join the fun. That will be Dave Holmes and wife. Now as far as boats, lots & lots of them. ha ha At least 1 1966 barrel back, older 22 classic and I am hoping another LE Minx. Wouldn't that be nice to see 2 of those at one event. We are planning for and open for any events. We are even hoping to stay down for the following week for the Historic Races also. Yes on Lunch for at least 4 maybe a few more. I have to go and update my Signature, we just made a deal for # 11. Going tomorrow for # 12, Somebody Stop Me! PLEASE!!!!! Can not wait. Tom

Last Tango
03-12-2008, 12:50 PM
Hi, Bob!
I'm still waffling on whether I can make it this year. I have out-of-town guests that week and not certain when they will be leaving. I'd love to bring them along, but If their flight goes out on Saturday, I can't be in two places at the same time.

mjw930
03-12-2008, 02:31 PM
I too am still waiting to see if the stars line up and we can make it. If we do it would only be for Saturday so lunch would be a go.

Is Gators a "by boat" destination? I didn't think it was on the water, I thought Vic's (if that's still what it's called) was the only decent waterfront eatery with a dock.

Either way it would involve the Mt. Dora canal and it seems that's not something I'm wanting to do with a newly repaired outdrive........

Last Tango
03-12-2008, 03:19 PM
Gators Dockside does in fact have superior docking facilities on Lake Eustis. Better than any other waterfront restaurant. We have used that as our Saturday lunch destination several years in a row, now.
Vic's has "challenging" docking available during the Wooden Boat Show weekend. I also believe I understood that their name had changed, as well.

Also, the restaurant is easily accessible by boat without doing the Dora Canal as long as you do not launch in Lake Dora. There is a very nice park on Harris Lake where US19 crosses Harris Lake. We have had a SEADOG picnic there before. I will launch there if I can go, and if the water level is too low to transit Dora Canal. Lake Beauclerc also has a nice ramp and plenty of parking at its park, it the water levels are good.

mjw930
03-12-2008, 04:13 PM
Mark,

I've only been on the Eustis waterfront once and that was more than 6 years ago so that's cool. My father had a place in Fox Run and a little center console there that I played around with on Lake Harris, I only did the Dora canal once and it was nice but boring after the first 20 minutes of idling.

I launched from the ramps off 19 as well as the one near down town Eustis and the one on 441. Of all of them the one on 19 is the best since it can handle more traffic than either of the others.

I thought Vic's had changed names again and about the only thing it really ever had going for it was the riverfront. I mostly stopped there on MC rides to a quick lunch on the deck. I docked there once with the 26' Velocity and that was a challenge ;)

So, you're saying the only thing organized for Saturday is the lunch. Meet up there and then do some running afterward. Is that the plan?

Tidbart
03-13-2008, 07:17 AM
So, you're saying the only thing organized for Saturday is the lunch. Meet up there and then do some running afterward. Is that the plan?

If there is interest we may do a run around on Friday, this is tentative. Saturday is the only formal gathering. We will meet at designated place, usually at the Lakeside Inn dock in Mt Dora. Obviously, if you are sceptical of the Dora Canal, that won't be an option. If you are on the other side of the canal you can just meet us at the public docks in Eustis. Gator's is right behind them. That is slated for noon. I have reserved the back room for us. After that, is back to the boat show or cruising, that is up to you.

Hope you can make it.

Bob

Last Tango
03-13-2008, 09:00 AM
Turbo,
Yep, that is correct. The SEADOGs normally run a very loose schedule so that everyone can do what they want to do. Some will want to dock at the Lakeside Hotel and tour Mt. Dora. Some will spend more time at the wooden boat show in Tavares. Some will want to tour the other lakes and canals. Most will decide they would rather live/retire here than anywhere else in the world. LOL! It competes directly with Lake Como in Northern Italy as the most beautiful lakeside area on a year 'round basis. Lake Como gets cold and snowy in the winter. The Harris Chain of Lakes get the ocassional remnant edge of a hurricane in late summer.

gcarter
03-13-2008, 11:06 AM
Turbo,
Yep, that is correct. The SEADOGs normally run a very loose schedule so that everyone can do what they want to do. Some will want to dock at the Lakeside Hotel and tour Mt. Dora. Some will spend more time at the wooden boat show in Tavares. Some will want to tour the other lakes and canals. Most will decide they would rather live/retire here than anywhere else in the world. LOL! It competes directly with Lake Como in Northern Italy as the most beautiful lakeside area on a year 'round basis. Lake Como gets cold and snowy in the winter. The Harris Chain of Lakes get the ocassional remnant edge of a hurricane in late summer.
I don't get it????????
How come you live in Jacksonville????
I'm the only one that actually lives there......except Jim Sr.

Last Tango
03-14-2008, 10:03 AM
George, George, George,

I live in Jacksonville because I am not retired. I still work for my toy money. And with a thirsty Donzi 22ZX, a thirsty JEEP Grand Cherokee Limited with a HEMI to tow the Donzi to events, a Porsche 996 street/track car, and a toy train collection hobby that is a financial death wish, I need to be where real jobs pay real money. Can't afford to spend the day as a volunteer at the old folks home keeping an eye on YOU! Besides, I find it best to refer others to the THIRD best place to live or retire, thus keeping the number 1 and 2 best places a close secret, and keeping the crowds and real estate inflation rates down where I REALLY want to go.

catch 22
03-14-2008, 04:28 PM
Jim & Gina
Jim & Carol
1 Minx LE
I am not bringing my boat as I will only be there Friday & Saturday. Gina has to be back to work early Sunday. Also if anyone is bringing there boat and you don't feel safe keeping it in a motel parking lot in town, my dad said you are welcome to leave it as his place in LadyLake. He has plenty of room. A few years ago Chromie, Baby Donzi and mine were all parked there. We will meet everyone at Gators as dad won't chance it through the Dora Canal.

sweet 16 1966
03-14-2008, 05:25 PM
Jim,

Thats not right! I thought the level came up a bit.
They will have to lower the flag for ya.

sweet 16 1966
03-21-2008, 08:21 AM
Sheila and I will be there. Friday and Saturday.
If there is a run Friday, count me in. Does anyone leave the boats in the water at Lakeside?

sweet 16 1966
03-21-2008, 09:49 PM
You will be missed. Watch the 10 day cancellation policy.

Cuda
03-22-2008, 09:04 AM
You will be missed. Watch the 10 day cancellation policy.
Russ, if you need a place to stay, you are welcome to stay here. I have plenty of parking, and three empty rooms. I'm 25 miles from Mt Dora. You have been here, so you know where I live.
Joe

BUIZILLA
03-22-2008, 09:08 AM
Cuda, how are things going with you and Debbie??

I enjoyed both of your's company

Cuda
03-22-2008, 10:12 AM
Cuda, how are things going with you and Debbie??
I enjoyed both of your's company
Not going at all. I haven't heard a word from her in over two weeks, and haven't seen her in a couple months. I still miss her too, but I just try not to think about it.

sweet 16 1966
03-22-2008, 10:37 PM
Thanks Joe. We got a room at Lakeside which is $$$ I could have bought something nice for the boat with but... Sheila has never been to Mount Dora and I think she will like the setting. We have not been anywhere in some time so we are looking forward to the long weekend. I may take you up on your offer in the future though! Sorry about Deb.

Tidbart
03-23-2008, 06:30 PM
Here is the tally so far..........

Me (Tidbart) + 2
(Sweet 16) +1
Jim (Catch 22), Gina, Jim & Carol
(MJW930)
Tom (Donzi Racer), Rose,
David & Beverly Ralson
David Holmes & wife ???
Mark (Last Tango) + Aye Candy
Phil Reed (PMREED) ???
Joe (Cuda)

??? means I am not sure if they are attending.

Anyone else know of anyone attending???????? Chime in to make my head count a little more accurate.

I am going to call Gator's in Eustis to confirm our lunch reservation in the next day or so.

Tidbart
03-23-2008, 06:37 PM
Schedule

Tentative casual running around on Friday
Tentative dock party at Lakeside Inn Friday evening 7:30ish.

Lunch run on Saturday, leave the Lakeside Inn dock at 11:00 am. Lunch at noon at Gator's in Eustis. Let me know if you need directions.

Boat show after lunch or keep running your boat, up to you.

Weather will be in the low 80's with plenty of sunshine. I guarantee it.

Bob

Donzi Racer
03-24-2008, 08:20 AM
Here is the tally so far..........

Me (Tidbart) + 2
(Sweet 16) +1
(MJW930)
Tom (Donzi Racer), Rose, David & wife & dad
David Holmes & wife ???
Mark (Last Tango) ???
(Buizilla) Jim ???
Phil Reed (PMREED) ???
Joe (Cuda)

??? means I am not sure if they are attending.

Anyone else know of anyone attending???????? Chime in to make my head count a little more accurate.

I am going to call Gator's in Eustis to confirm our lunch reservation in the next day or so.

Tidbart, Rose & I are coming. We have a couple of guest coming from Alabama also, David & Beverly Ralson coming down to ride in their semi new 1966 Barrelback which will hopefully be ready by then. Rose and I are bringing the new to us, 22 Classic we just purchased if it checks out sea ready. My Brother Robert Bawsel and his girlfriend Ferrah and her parents might come down for Saturday. We also have a sweet 16 outboard that we are planning on bringing. Can you tell we are really really BOAT POOR? Anyone need a ride or boat just let us know. " Tommy Boys Donzi Rental " NOW OPEN! ha ha We cannot wait. Does anyone know of a close place to the lakeside inn that we could keep our broken down motorhome? How do we go about getting dock space at Lakeside Inn docks? How bad is the room rate at the Inn? Yipes Batman, he has lots and lots of questions!

The Racer in all of us, Tom Bawsel

Tidbart
03-24-2008, 08:38 AM
Tom
To answer a couple of your questions...

Lakeside in docks are first come-first served. Usually not a problem as I have seen over the past years.

Lakeside rooms are kinda expensive and hard to come by on this weekend. Madpoodle had a room reserved and is not attending. He may be able to let you have it if he hasn't cancelled it already.

Can't help with the motorhome thing.

Bob

Last Tango
03-24-2008, 08:12 PM
Bob,
You can remove the question marks after my name and add Aye Candy alongside my name. We will prbably launch at Lake Beauclerc and meet everyone at Lakeside for the run. If the last minute word is that the ditch is too low, then we will lauch in Lake Harris and meet you at the mouth as you come through and on down to Gators.
Mark

Donzi Racer
03-24-2008, 11:54 PM
If you want my room, I need to know before I blast them.. They are trying the 10 day cancellation thing on me. I advised them that they could go ahead, but I would make sure I drove up there and inspect the room, it best be empty or I would be in touch with the BBB..

Poodle, what were they charging you? What would you take for the room including a certain blue Donzi bag that matches our classic 22 we just went to Cutler Bay last Saturday to pick up? hmmmm? I thought you had already cancelled your room or I would have contacted you about yours. I got a room for thursday evening since Rose and I had never been there before. Was going to try and find a parking place for the coach close by for the rest of the weekend. I have some visitors coming from Alabama. They may be able to use it for a night or two. Thanks, Tom 256-777-0844

Tidbart
03-25-2008, 06:40 AM
Me (Tidbart) + 2
(Sweet 16) +1
(MJW930)
Tom (Donzi Racer), Rose,
David & Beverly Ralson
Robert Bawsel, Ferrah and her parents??
David Holmes & wife ???
Phil Reed (PMREED) ???
Joe (Cuda)

BUIZILLA
03-25-2008, 06:57 AM
Tom, that blue boat was within a mile of my house..

Cuda
03-25-2008, 10:53 AM
I should be there. Whether I bring the boat or not, is problematic, based on me getting off my butt, and getting it started. If not, I'll ride the bike out to the lunch meeting.

mjw930
03-25-2008, 07:42 PM
It looks like Lake Eustis is about 2' below the target level, based on this graph from the Jacksonville Army Corps site: http://www.saj.usace.army.mil/h2o/plots/Eustis.pdf

That would indicate to me that the Dora Canal is iffy for a 22 with a BB and a wide ass like me in it ;) Heck, I used to bump in my dad's 19' Sailfish unless the water was at normal levels.

Is anyone considering putting in at the downtown Eustis ramps off Lakeshore Dr.?

Tidbart
03-25-2008, 08:01 PM
Maybe the best indicator will be to see how many and what type of boats go through on Friday.:doh:

Then we can make up our minds for Saturday.

By the way, I will be out of town tomorrow and Thursday. Here is my cell if anyone needs to communicate. 321-436-5704

Bob

Cuda
03-25-2008, 08:32 PM
It looks like Lake Eustis is about 2' below the target level, based on this graph from the Jacksonville Army Corps site: http://www.saj.usace.army.mil/h2o/plots/Eustis.pdf

That would indicate to me that the Dora Canal is iffy for a 22 with a BB and a wide ass like me in it ;) Heck, I used to bump in my dad's 19' Sailfish unless the water was at normal levels.

Is anyone considering putting in at the downtown Eustis ramps off Lakeshore Dr.?
I can tell you the ramp that's on 441 absolutely sucks! The pier for tying up, is about 20 yards from the ramp itself. I don't know who designed that boat launch, but I guarantee you, it wasn't a boater. I like launching at Hickory Point the best, but I have backed off the concrete when the water was low, with my Formula. Venetian Gardens is a good ramp too, but I've never used it, except when I was there when Catch 22's dad was swapping trailers.

Cuda
03-25-2008, 08:41 PM

Mark (mwj930), I just got your pm, and sent you one back. I'd be happy to be your swabbie on Saturday. :)
Joe

Donzi Racer
03-25-2008, 08:59 PM
I am stuck with Thurs night @ 159.00

You were in Cutler Bay and didn't call ??

I knew ya'll were down in that area but was not sure where ya'll were. That is wayyyyy to dang south for me. I have always wanted to go to the keys but I think I can get from Titusville to Mass turnpike quicker than down there. Boy is that a long drive in a pouring rainstorm. Yuck.
Thanks for the info on the room. I could not believe that I went in the lakeside inn today thinking I would use my negotiating skills on them there good ole country folk and I say can I get your triple A, AARP, & your FAVORITE brother in law price on a room for this weekend. The lady says, our anniversary special is better than any of those. I say, oh how much for that? She says, $126 for king or two doubles. I bout fainted. I like you called and got a room for thursday for I believe $169. Now I can book the whole weekend for $126 a night. I ws sure to ask her even with the special weekend and all & she said yes. They wanted the hotel full. I think they have had a few people back out. Now I have to call in the morning and renegotiate. Yuck again. Really enjoying the Blue 22, course I have not had it in the water yet. ha ha I wanted Cuda to bring his over, wanted to see how this one runs against a big block? I know there will be quite a few newer ones to blow my socks off. Poodle, find me another one of those bags you so swiftly snuck out from under my nose a few minutes before I hit the buy it now. Ha ha I have the original white with blue from the 1967 baby we had when I was a kid. But I sure did like that blue one. Matches my new to me, boat. Tom

Donzi Racer
03-25-2008, 10:18 PM
Tom, that blue boat was within a mile of my house..

I was close. Would have loved to have met up for lunch or dinner. We left with the boat and went to Bennigans close to there for a good dinner before we headed back home. I knew you had a house there in Cutler Bay but thought ya'll lived a bit North of there. Shows what I know. I hope you have seen this boat. I want you to see it now. A bit different. Not like one of yours but lots better than it was. Bringing the coach for the week. Hopefully will have time to show you. It will be at the lakeside inn. That ought to be fun getting that beast parked. We hope to have 3 boats there. Anybody need a steering wheel to steer or a ride let us know. Tom

Tidbart
03-26-2008, 06:14 AM
That ought to be fun getting that beast parked. Tom

Tom,

Lakeside used their tennis courts to park some coaches, shouldn't be a problem.

B

Craig S
03-26-2008, 09:26 AM
I plan to be there for lunch on Saturday. 1.

mjw930
03-26-2008, 10:02 AM
I can tell you the ramp that's on 441 absolutely sucks! The pier for tying up, is about 20 yards from the ramp itself. I don't know who designed that boat launch, but I guarantee you, it wasn't a boater. I like launching at Hickory Point the best, but I have backed off the concrete when the water was low, with my Formula. Venetian Gardens is a good ramp too, but I've never used it, except when I was there when Catch 22's dad was swapping trailers.

I agree, that ramp SUCKS and it's always busy with amateurs (fun for a laugh, not fun if you're trying to enjoy your boat outing).

The ramp on Lakeside in Eustis is out of the way and from the 2 times I used it, not all that busy. I launched my Velocity from there and had no problems. It's also about 1/2 hour closer than Hickory Point from my house. :D

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=lakeshore+drive,+Eustis,+FL+32727&sll=28.851383,-81.690372&sspn=0.001527,0.002216&ie=UTF8&ll=28.851059,-81.690463&spn=0.003054,0.004431&t=h&z=18

Here's ramp info for anyone who might need it.

http://www.lakecountyfl.gov/boating/boat_ramps.aspx

Joe, I'll call you later today.

Last Tango
03-26-2008, 10:03 AM
Attention All SEADOGs (That would be all of you)! I will be bringing the official SEADOG T-shirts with me to the lunch on Saturday.
I only have sizes L, XL, XXL, and XXXL. No M or S.
$20 cash money each.

Tidbart
03-26-2008, 02:33 PM
I plan to be there for lunch on Saturday. 1.

Great. One more for lunch.

Bob

sweet 16 1966
03-27-2008, 08:12 PM
Lakeside quoted me 126 for Thursday and they said 199 for Fri and Sat!
I will be in touch with them in the am.
Thanks Jim Sr. & Jr for housing my boat while I was in Orlando. I plan on putting in at Dora Friday am. Meeting up with Catch 22 & crew to see the show Friday. Other than that, gonna run the boat so if anyone wants to run, lets go.
cell- 770 313 0660 - Russ & Sheila

Donzi Racer
03-28-2008, 12:55 AM
Tom,

Lakeside used their tennis courts to park some coaches, shouldn't be a problem.

B

Thank, that is`where we are,on the tennis court, right in front of the million dollar Provost Coach. I bet they are going to get tired of looking at my rearend all weekend, just like most of the donzi boats will be doing this weekend. ha ha ha ha I WISH! Hmmm?

Donzi Racer
03-28-2008, 01:02 AM
Lakeside quoted me 126 for Thursday and they said 199 for Fri and Sat!
I will be in touch with them in the am.
Thanks Jim Sr. & Jr for housing my boat while I was in Orlando. I plan on putting in at Dora Friday am. Meeting up with Catch 22 & crew to see the show Friday. Other than that, gonna run the boat so if anyone wants to run, lets go.
cell- 770 313 0660 - Russ & Sheila

Russ, was that ya'll I met quickley this afternoon as I was pulling the 1st Donzi into Mount Dora. Then drove back to Titusville to get the 22. I am right in front of Ya'lls` boat if you are on the tennis courts. Good to see ya'll and hope to have more time to visit this weekend. Tom

Donzi Racer
03-28-2008, 03:56 PM
Me (Tidbart) + 2
(Sweet 16) +1
(MJW930)
Tom (Donzi Racer), Rose,
David & Beverly Ralson
Robert Bawsel, Ferrah and her parents??
David Holmes & wife ???
Phil Reed (PMREED) ???
Joe (Cuda)

Tidbart, Rose & I are still in, but our guest will not be here till Sunday late afternoon. I believe Robert Bawsel, Ferrah and parents are going to Universal park instead of eating with us. I still have more boats than I have hands if anybody needs or wants to bring one of ours over there, Cuda? We have a 16 outboard or classic 22 available. They will both be at the Lakeside Inn in Mt Dora. Keys in ready to go. Full of gas, Am I getting to anyone? Is this mike on?
Now could someone direct me to the lunch? If I am at the lakeside inn dock? I believe Sweet 16 is staying here also if he has a nice '88 22 with fresh interior that looks awfully nice. Maybe we can run over together.
thanks, Tom

mjw930
03-28-2008, 05:18 PM
Now could someone direct me to the lunch? If I am at the lakeside inn dock? I believe Sweet 16 is staying here also if he has a nice '88 22 with fresh interior that looks awfully nice. Maybe we can run over together.
thanks, Tom

I thought Tidbart and others were going to meet up at the Lakeside and leave out around 11:00?

Cuda and I will launch in Eustis at the Lakeside Drive ramps and meet you all as you come out of the Dora Canal.

Have the plans changed?

Tidbart
03-28-2008, 06:25 PM
"Now could someone direct me to the lunch? If I am at the lakeside inn dock? I believe Sweet 16 is staying here also if he has a nice '88 22 with fresh interior that looks awfully nice. Maybe we can run over together."

I am leaving from Lakeside docks at 11:00. Blue 22. Lunch is at 12:00 at the Crazy Gator in Eustis.

Leaving the dock, head west to the other end of the lake, NW corner, entrance to Dora Canal. Go through the canal. At other end, exit to Lake Eustis and head north, then northeast to the farthest point east on the lake. Large public docks are there, can't miss them. The CG is directly behind the dock about 50 yards. Really easy to find.

LE Minx
03-28-2008, 06:43 PM
Met up with Russ and Sheila today, what a nice couple. We walked around the Boat Show today with my son Jim (Catch 22) and Gina. There was quite a bit of stuff to see. The Police were not to friendly in letting Russ beach his new Donzi. There is still really no place there for people attending the show via the lake to dock there boats. Maybe they will come up with a better plan next year. We will be launching the Minx tomorrow from Venetion Gardens and meet up with everyone around 11am. Looking forward to lunch at Crazy Gators.

Cuda
03-28-2008, 08:31 PM
Tidbart, Rose & I are still in, but our guest will not be here till Sunday late afternoon. I believe Robert Bawsel, Ferrah and parents are going to Universal park instead of eating with us. I still have more boats than I have hands if anybody needs or wants to bring one of ours over there, Cuda? We have a 16 outboard or classic 22 available. They will both be at the Lakeside Inn in Mt Dora. Keys in ready to go. Full of gas, Am I getting to anyone? Is this mike on?
thanks, Tom
I appreciate the offer, but I'll be riding with Mark (mjw930). I'm meeting him in the morning, on Hwy 44 near my house, then following him to the ramp.

Was it you I met on the lake either last year, or the year before? I met someone with a beautiful 22, that lived in Titusville.
Joe

Cuda
03-28-2008, 08:34 PM
Met up with Russ and Sheila today, what a nice couple. We walked around the Boat Show today with my son Jim (Catch 22) and Gina. There was quite a bit of stuff to see. The Police were not to friendly in letting Russ beach his new Donzi. There is still really no place there for people attending the show via the lake to dock there boats. Maybe they will come up with a better plan next year. We will be launching the Minx tomorrow from Venetion Gardens and meet up with everyone around 11am. Looking forward to lunch at Crazy Gators.
Well, looky here who's posting! Catch Sr. Don't let Jimmy drive, as you say, he can only go north or south!:biggrin:

Did Jimmy ever put running boards on the side of his sled, so his mom can get in it, without you boosting her up? :)

I look forward to seeing you, and Mrs Carol tomorrow. It's been too long!

LE Minx
03-28-2008, 08:45 PM
Joe, Looking forward to seeing you to. No Jim has yet to get running boards. Gina saw some really sweet looking running boards today on a 2500HD. They may look into them when they get back. Still Boosting Carol up.:wink:

Donzi Racer
03-28-2008, 10:43 PM
I appreciate the offer, but I'll be riding with Mark (mjw930). I'm meeting him in the morning, on Hwy 44 near my house, then following him to the ramp.

Was it you I met on the lake either last year, or the year before? I met someone with a beautiful 22, that lived in Titusville.
Joe

I was the one that was thinking about your 22 before you got it. We are from Titusville. I want you to run the 22 if you get a chance. Just wanting to know how it compares to a stndard 454 22 like yours. We finally found our old LE Minx and are buying it back but I wish I had enough money to keep the 22 we got last saturday, the baby 16 we picked up this wednesday and the minx, but alas we are BROKE so some must be sacrificed. I hope everone means leaving for lakeside inn at Mount Dora. That is where we are. I will be ready, I was in Donzi heaven today with the little 16 with the 200 yamaha ziggin this way and that. Then at dusk we cranked up the 22 and went for a sunset fly by the antique boat show and wow it is a real nice running small block. I think it is right there with a stock 454 but could be wrong. I know I like it. A few more mph's would not hurt. If I am drooling over the Black LE Minx tomorrow, forgive me since that is what we just found again and since I heard that one was not going to be for sale, I found our old one. Needs a little tlc and somebody help us find a windshield for it, Please!
Can't wait, I will probably over sleep. Tom

Cuda
03-29-2008, 06:33 AM
Budman has a 22 SBC with an Alpha drive. The motor had been worked some, and it was about a 60 mph boat. I ran with him down in Miami a few years ago, and he ran right with me, but when I got home, I found I had one plug wire off, and was running on 7 cylinders all day. I wondered why I had to raise the idle the first time we stopped. :)

BUIZILLA
03-29-2008, 07:23 AM
Tom, did you buy that 16 OB in Jupiter??...

if you did, watch that transom, before it watches you..

sweet 16 1966
03-29-2008, 07:49 AM
Tom, that was us you met briefly and we will all be at the dock At 11:00 and drive over. The canal is in some places 2.5 feet - 3.5 but we made it through with the drive up. Enjoyed the walk through with Jim, Jim Sr and the girls! Good people!
MP, saw the cut through you mentioned but only wood boats are there. We did stop by Sunnyland booth and asked them to consider some dock space for us next year. They want boats in the 70's or older. The sticker on the side of mine says 1963-1988. No woody here! We had dinner last night and met a couple who had a feathercraft with a 1957 Lark motor. He was a member of Sunnyland - just doesn't fit the image I have of a member but like us, it takes all kinds and we certinally have the passion for our boats- that should be the test. Sunnyland also wants entrants to be a member of one of the antique boat clubs. I'm gone to look for some wine and cheeze.

BUIZILLA
03-29-2008, 07:53 AM
I'm gone to look for some wine and cheeze. after 3 years of Janice going to Dora, she calls it Whine & Cheezie..

mjw930
03-29-2008, 04:26 PM
I just got back home a bit earlier than expected. Joe (Cuda) and I got there early, got the boat fueled up and launched by 11:00 and were on our way south to the canal exit when something didn't seem right. I had backed it down to idle while we got our bearings and when I pulled back on plane the fan belts started to squeal. I shut it down and popped the hatch only to get a face full of 150 degree water! The large return hose that comes off the intake manifold and down to the water pump on the starboard side had come in contact with the water pump belt / pulley and there was a 1" slice in the BRAND NEW hose. We were able to idle back to the ramp and get the boat on the trailer without any more excitement. The bilge pump was able to pump 2 or 3 times more water than was coming is so the only thing that happened was a nice hot water wash for the bilge.

For the life of me I can't figure out how it made contact unless under high pressure the hose twisted and distended. The replacement hose wasn't the exact same size as the one it replaced. The old hose (that's back in the boat now) touches the fuel pump and is very hard to flex. The new, made in China hose fits with a 1/2" gap between the pump and hose and is very easy to move around. I know I installed it correctly and I even twisted it as much as I could to make sure it pushed back towards the block and away from the belt.......

Thank goodness this was fresh water!

I will be going to the marine supply store tomorrow to get a SS cushion clamp that will be securing this hose from now on.

Anyway, for the 15 minutes we were able to play the boat ran great. I got to meet some really great people and the boat didn't sink. Overall it was good day.

Cuda
03-29-2008, 06:47 PM
Mark (mjw930), I just called you cell to make sure you made it back home without incident, and to thank you again for letting me ride with you. If I hadn't made plans to ride with you, I know I would have gotten up, gotten lazy, and would have spent the day at home. Going there was just what I needed!
I'll post all my pics in the Donzi Performance section shortly. It's a damn beautiful boat! I had the feeling, that you would already have the hose off by the time I called. I didn't get home until 7pm.

Cuda
03-29-2008, 06:49 PM
Jim, you and the fuzzy one were missed for sure! It doesn't feel right, without at least one of you there. :)

Donzi Racer
03-30-2008, 06:19 AM
Tom, did you buy that 16 OB in Jupiter??...

if you did, watch that transom, before it watches you..

Jim, you were soooo missed yesterday. I sure do hope you are coming next week for the races, and see me make a complete, more than usual, fool of myself racing one or 2 of the little donzi's. I did get the 16 and will have the guys go over it. It seems to be tight and no leaking. I kind of hope there is something to address with the transom since I have a deposit on the boat from a new donzi guy and would love to give him his deposit back and keep it. I absolutely love it. It is almost exactly like the one Rose and I dated in 35 years ago. That had a 115 merc. I was a little worried that the big 200 hp Yamaha would be too heavy for the boat like the 175 hp we put on our 1971 back then. They must make outboards lighter these days, cause this little dude handles like a dream and I had Rose and I in the boat yesterday and it was dead even running with your old LE Minx, which jim says runs just about 60 mph. Now that is not too bad for a 35 year old outboard boat. This is the 3rd one I have owned and the best as far as power, speed, and agility. Other than looking at the transome, it needed the light blue stripe sanded down to get rid of the brush marks where it was hand brushed on but it is a sure sweetie.
Until a few weeks ago, I was always sick that I could not afford your LE Minx when you had it. Well, let me tell you, I am now a happy camper when it comes to that, cause that is the finest LE that will ever be and I am so happy now that I have met the owners of it. They deserve it and have kept it in the condition that you did and it was better to see that thing than all the mahoany boats at the Sunnyland show. It was just breath taking. I got such a kick meeting father and son and both their better 1/2's. Wonderful people. Going to get the barrel back today and see if I can't outrun some of these so called race boats.hmmmm? ha ha Will be here in Mt Dora all week. Ya'll come! The Racer in all of us & his better half are having the times of our life. I cannot believe I have not done this before now. WOW Oh yea, I guess I am an official Sea Dog now cause I have the tee shirt to prove it. ha ha Tom

Donzi Racer
03-30-2008, 06:27 AM
Tom, that was us you met briefly and we will all be at the dock At 11:00 and drive over. The canal is in some places 2.5 feet - 3.5 but we made it through with the drive up. Enjoyed the walk through with Jim, Jim Sr and the girls! Good people!
MP, saw the cut through you mentioned but only wood boats are there. We did stop by Sunnyland booth and asked them to consider some dock space for us next year. They want boats in the 70's or older. The sticker on the side of mine says 1963-1988. No woody here! We had dinner last night and met a couple who had a feathercraft with a 1957 Lark motor. He was a member of Sunnyland - just doesn't fit the image I have of a member but like us, it takes all kinds and we certinally have the passion for our boats- that should be the test. Sunnyland also wants entrants to be a member of one of the antique boat clubs. I'm gone to look for some wine and cheeze.

Well it is not breifly anymore. I really enjoyed seeing and getting to know ya'll and wasn't that a nice meal last night? In the south, we say lets get together and tell family secrets, OK? Well that is what we did. I ain't tellin if ya'll aren't. ha ha Ya'll need to come back next week for the races. Great boat! Tom, Rose, & the Girls

Cuda
03-30-2008, 08:50 AM
Tom, I hope I'll be able to make it to St Cloud next week, and look forward to talking with you again.

mjw930
03-30-2008, 04:27 PM
Tom, I hope I'll be able to make it to St Cloud next week, and look forward to talking with you again.

Joe,

I think he's talking about the antique race boat event in Mt. Dora happening the same weekend as St. Cloud.

http://www.classicraceboatassoc.com/

mjw930
03-30-2008, 04:30 PM
I made damn sure that hose never moves again :yes:

Cuda
03-30-2008, 05:14 PM
I made damn sure that hose never moves again :yes:
Well, when are you ready for testing? Surely, you want to test in fresh water. :)
I may have mine running by next weekend. I just have to be sure I have the wiring right. Check my other thread.
Joe

rustnrot
03-31-2008, 04:40 PM
DonziRacer, there is a gauntlet here with your name on it, if I am at the race boat venue with the Formula Jr. 17 outboard.....I'm all registered but a family obligation may, but probably not, get in the way.

I am running the Donzi class with the Formula outboard. And Stan Stephens should be running the 16 mahogany decked donzi same race. It has a new engine and supposedly pegs the water speedo at 60 mph and the hose flies off!

Donzi Racer
04-01-2008, 05:24 AM
DonziRacer, there is a gauntlet here with your name on it, if I am at the race boat venue with the Formula Jr. 17 outboard.....I'm all registered but a family obligation may, but probably not, get in the way.

I am running the Donzi class with the Formula outboard. And Stan Stephens should be running the 16 mahogany decked donzi same race. It has a new engine and supposedly pegs the water speedo at 60 mph and the hose flies off!

You got it big boy. I have been wondering which 1 or 2? I was thinking the 16 outboard would be fun. I always went to the boat races when I was a kid and was thinking the outboard classes on the semi V hulls were kind of slow when the water got real churned up. Now they may have been doing faster than it looked and it seemed slow because of the other much faster boats in the unlimited classes but they looked like they were averaging around 45 mph with the rough water. I always thought I could take them, ha ha, with my little baby 16 with the 115 straight line 6 because she would run 50 mph in any water if trimmed down enough. I will accept your challenge and we will be here all week. We are at the Lakeside inn with 3 Donzis sitting at the pier Gassed up and leaning hard on the cleats, just a waiting, pulling hard on the cleats. ha ha Some pics of the little darlings below. The Natural Boarn Racer in all of us, Tom, or JASPER TALLEDAGA when I am in cognito!

Donzi Racer
04-01-2008, 05:40 AM

Joe, Mark is right, we are still at Mt Dora waiting for the Classic Boat Races that they have added a class for Donzi's. I plan on entering at least 2 boats. I may get lapped a few time but at least I wil be earning my Moniker! No I did not say I was a Monkey although I may look like a monkeys uncle (sorry David) ha ha. Come over to Mt Dora if you can and I will try and say thanks for the help getting the boats out after the run. By the way the outdrive I thought I blew on Saturday before the lunch run was only a coupler boot, I think the mechanic said and it hardened back up well and we are driving it at moderate speeds up to 4500 rpms and she is holding up well. OH s**t Fire, I need to find some wood to knock on. Some peole ask me if I am supersticious? I say hell no, I am just real careful. ha ha

Now any of our Donzi Brothers and Sisters that have always wanted to see how a 22 classic, a 16 Baby outboard or a '66 classic barrel back feels to drive or ride in, Ya'll come and we will go for a test drive. All three, no waiting. Tom's Donzi Rental, Hey this may be another oportunity for me! ha ha Hey Rose dear, I need to buy just a few more Donzi's, I have a great idea for another business we can get into. See there always thinking! ha ha Now lets see, I need a Minx, and a 14 baby, and a ski sporter, and aaaaahhhh Rose let go of my throat. JASPER says, Ya'll come. Lenny, flights are cheap right now. Been 80 degrees all week. Tom

rustnrot
04-01-2008, 06:47 AM
I was gonna get some pics of the Formula and post 'em later but I see DonziRacer is high on caffeine this am. DonziRacer don't wear yourself out now......

I gotta fly out of FL to MI on monday after the races but I WILL BE THERE.

Should be a good run, my Formula has an old Merc v6 200hp on it.....the boat is not perfect, there is a rotten spot under the seats but fixed temporarily, there may be other issues but I don't want to know about them now. Hey, they got Rescue there, right!!!!

Donzi Racer
04-01-2008, 11:39 AM
I was gonna get some pics of the Formula and post 'em later but I see DonziRacer is high on caffeine this am. DonziRacer don't wear yourself out now......

I gotta fly out of FL to MI on monday after the races but I WILL BE THERE.

Should be a good run, my Formula has an old Merc v6 200hp on it.....the boat is not perfect, there is a rotten spot under the seats but fixed temporarily, there may be other issues but I don't want to know about them now. Hey, they got Rescue there, right!!!!

That is real scary, I thought I was the only guy that thought like that. Hahahahahahah That is why I am the only guy still here at the Lakeside Inn in Mt. Dora still getting these three donzi's dialed in trying to make up for my fat butt sitting in them. I believe we may have a competative race with the 2 outboards. If you can out run the mahogony 16, then I am in trouble, unless they have ribbons for just outboard donzi's. ha ah Come early and have a blast. I was up at 4:30 am yesterday and 5 am today. Not enough time in the day when you got 3 to play with. For another wek anyway. 2 of them are sold, just waiting on the owners to show up with the $ where I can go and buy something else. Believe it or not on my way out the door to buy and pick up a 270 sundancer Sea Ray for my Brother right after I finish this. A few more pics of wonderful donzis on Lake Dora thies week. Ya'll Come!!
Tom

Donzi Racer
04-01-2008, 11:42 AM
Well, when are you ready for testing? Surely, you want to test in fresh water. :)
I may have mine running by next weekend. I just have to be sure I have the wiring right. Check my other thread.
Joe

Come on Cuda, lets go do something, even if it is wrong. Ohj yea one more shot. Tom

rustnrot
04-01-2008, 05:42 PM
Speaking of SELLING, the mahogany decked Donzi sold Today and is going to NJ.

So, DonziRacer, I am so confused :confused: , please for the love of the peanut gallery, list as of this moment what boats you own, what you sold and what you are racing....

Mark here in Augusta asked if you got THE BABY yet.....

Donzi Racer
04-02-2008, 12:01 AM

So, DonziRacer, I am so confused :confused: , please for the love of the peanut gallery, list as of this moment what boats you own, what you sold and what you are racing....

I had seen the mahogany boat in pics and was fantastic in the pics. I saw it in the barn in florida before the new motor went into it. I got to see it last week on the side of the street and they told me that is was at the mahagony boat show also. It was an unique boat that is for sure. I will send along the list of the owned boats. Right now my eyes are getting sleepy getting sleppy, and 5am came early this morning so I am going to get a bit of rest. Tom

Craig S
04-02-2008, 07:58 AM
... so I am going to get a bit of rest. Tom

Hey Donzi Racer!

Speaking of rest...thanks for saving me a load of money on my hotel bill this past weekend. Had you not informed me of the "scoop" on hotel rates, I would have been $165 poorer.

And it was great to meet ya, too. Nice 22.

rustnrot
04-02-2008, 08:23 AM
I will be at Mike Yobes in Tavares in time for dinner tonight!!

Cuda
04-02-2008, 08:31 AM
Hey Donzi Racer!

Speaking of rest...thanks for saving me a load of money on my hotel bill this past weekend. Had you not informed me of the "scoop" on hotel rates, I would have been $165 poorer.

And it was great to meet ya, too. Nice 22.
Did I meet you last weekend?

BUIZILLA
04-02-2008, 08:32 AM
what class did they put you in??

Craig S
04-02-2008, 11:39 AM
Did I meet you last weekend?

I didn't make the luncheon this year (couldn't get away from the show)...I met DonziRacer at the parking lot of the hotel with his 22 hooked up.

BUIZILLA
04-02-2008, 07:51 PM
I *should* be around the race site at Tavares in the coach after lunch on Friday... sometime anyways.... crazy week, crazy schedule.... bringing the Critter.... need beer, lot's of beer...

race? what race? :cool:

Donzi Racer
04-04-2008, 04:26 AM

Well in my youth, I could imagine a stable of fine automobiles and a complete set of 14 Ft to 22 Ft Donzi's sitting in the water. Well today is my birthday and I am a deck of cards, without the Jokers and I must say, I am damn near close. I have a few little Maseratis (the inexpensive kind) and 5 of the finest little ole Donzis there ever was. I am working on a few more and I am beyond BROKE! I may need to borrow a little gas for the races this weekend. My set right now includes a 1986 classic 22 (thanks to Budman for letting me see how nice his was at the last Homecoming) , cause that is what I was going for is a small block with a few upgrades and that is what I found. I love the small blocks. A few improvements in the HP area, nothing drastic. A set of Stainles exhaust, vortec heads, holley carb, & a bumpy cam. She is running 66 mph and feels soooooo nice. #2 size wise is a LE 1987 Minx that we owned a long time ago that we have made arrangements to bring back into the fold at the end of the summer. Help, I need a MINX windshield. #3 is the baddest barrel back of all time. Built originally I believe by Brownie in 1966 and then artistically recreated by no other than Brownies Son Mike Brown later. The boat is sold to a nice family in Decatur Alabama but we are completing the restoration on the cosmetics this week and we hope to have it ready for the races. A wild beast is an understatement and I would like to see any small block barrel back keep up with it. The only piece of machinery in my life that I was not looking for a little more power. She has plenty for anybody and I am crazy as hell, but this is WOW. #4 is going to be the sweetest little 1966 triple hatch with original powertrain and hopefully being done in Coca Cola red with white interior and stripe. Has the original 289 Holman Moody motor & it will be a real nice boat. That one is for my nephew Donzi Vol and I do not know where he will go from a starter Donzi being a 1966 triple hatch barrel back, can we say dud not bad for 24 years of age and a 42 year old classic? #5 is exactly like my 2nd Donzi when I was a kid, 16 foot outboard Baby, w/ baby blue stripe on a white boat, with a little ole Yamaha outboard. She needs a little resto on the front stripe but she is a nice ride and WOW does it bring back memories. We got the 1st one when I was 15 and I sold it when I got married at 21 because I could not afford it and going to school with a new wife and and and.... I really forgot what nice little waterskii machines these outboards were. Just amazing handling and a little speed left in the ole girl. Now # 6 & # 7 we are working on but # 6 I have already owned which is a 1967 14 foot Baby & # 7 if it works out is a 21 ft GT. I have never owned one of these, but I missed a twin engine blue one a few years back because of LOW FUNDS and I have been sick about it ever since. If anyone knows where that boat is I would appreciate knowing. My little fleet will most likely be all 22 foot and below. I just love Florida, took me over 10 years to find my 3rd Donzi in Alabama, and now that I have moved down here with most the other Donzi Nuts, they are everywhere. I am like a kid in a candy store. The only problem is that to afford them I am having to buy and sell to be able to go for the next one but I hope to keep the LE Minx and the 14 Baby from now on. My problem is I get attached quick and then Rose gets ready to kill me. Cause I am supposedly supposed to have only 1 at a time. ha ha Yea RIGHT! I have a few more errands to do today for the barrel back but I am located at a nice campground a mile or so from the race site and 2 of the little Donzis are over at the Lakeside Inn's Dock. Anybody going by there please ease down into the 22 and turn the bilge pump on, we have a slight leak that we are watching. Anyone that wants to get together give us a call 256-777-0844 or 256-777-7766, now that is a pretty good poker hand there 5 7's and a pair of 6's unless you are playin without wild cards and then you may get SHOT! HA Ha Anybody that has not driven or ridden in any of these size boats that would like to, we would be glad to give rides and drives. I think the insurance should be in effect by this afternoon. hmmmm? Yee Hi could someone let a good ole country boy thru? I flat can not wait. Donzi Racer having the time of his life.

Donzi Racer
04-05-2008, 07:20 PM

Ok Tom, hope you are feeling better tomorrow. I have the outboard ready to go. 1 gallon of go juice and ready to fly. I got my racing wings today in the Donzi Division with a 1986 classic 22 with a 350 mag engine and a limping but not dead replacement drive, against a mixed field of 16 and 18 foot Donzi brethren with juiced up 350 and 351 engines. And may I say a special thanks to Buzilla & the man above for letting Buizilla's boat not start this morning or the outcome would have much different. Also there was a mean looking yellow 22 big block sitting at the dock waiting that did not field the 1st race. Well my luck lasted and I limped the 22 across the finish line in first place. I had a helmut too small, serengetti sunglasses that would not stay on and 1 crazy guy in an 18 that missed a turn bouy and barely missed taking the front of my boat with him. did I mention, I had the blast of a lifetime. Thanks and come on Rust & Rot get better tomorrow. The Donzi Racer in all of us. Tom

sweet 16 1966
04-05-2008, 11:50 PM
Timing is everything. Sorry to hear about the rain flolks, same in Atlanta. But... Mount Dora was perfect last weekemd 85 and SUNNY! It will be back. Moving the venu date here if they decide to hold the second annual would be fine with less crowds.

Cuda
04-06-2008, 05:00 PM
Timing is everything. Sorry to hear about the rain flolks, same in Atlanta. But... Mount Dora was perfect last weekemd 85 and SUNNY! It will be back. Moving the venu date here if they decide to hold the second annual would be fine with less crowds.
Bob, Jim, and I, were discussing the exact same subject yesterday.

rustnrot
04-16-2008, 05:53 PM
Now these are my kind of awards! Who is the fellow that won an award for his Donzi, anybody know him???

http://www.classicraceboatassoc.com/index.htm

Tom (I missed all this due to being sick) Lang

DonziRacer, catch ya next time!!

Donzi Racer
04-17-2008, 11:46 AM
Now these are my kind of awards! Who is the fellow that won an award for his Donzi, anybody know him???

http://www.classicraceboatassoc.com/index.htm

Tom (I missed all this due to being sick) Lang

DonziRacer, catch ya next time!!

I love that link. ha ha Did you see my fat butt up front in the lil Baby 16? ha ha I was up front for about 5 seconds until the 2 other boats came flying by. The one that I hoped would win, did. Tickled me since I had beat him by 1/2 a lap the day before in the ole Blue Thunder 22 ft. classic so as far as I was concerned I beat them all. ha ha Course it was a lot more rough the day I won to be fair. Thanks again, Tom

rustnrot
04-17-2008, 04:48 PM
I missed this link the first time
http://www.classicraceboatassoc.com/tavares2008.html

OK, DonziRacer is in the 16, who are the other two guys?

Donzi Racer
04-17-2008, 07:32 PM
I missed this link the first time
http://www.classicraceboatassoc.com/tavares2008.html

OK, DonziRacer is in the 16, who are the other two guys?

The yellow 22 w/502 which came in a close 2nd place on Sunday, is one of the guys that helped put the race together. I think his name was Tom also. He lives there close to Taveres I do believe. The lil 18 was a mid 80's with a beefed up 350 with worked heads, stainless exhaust, speedmaster drive "that was questioned", he said his would run close to 80. It was fast but I don't know about 80. I know thanks to some rough h2O the day before, and a missed buoy, I whipped him by 1/2 a lap. I do believe I would have had a hell of a time on Sunday though with the smoother water. He beat a 22 with a 502 in it. They kept announcing it was not a race but like Jim said, then why are we wearing helmets and going round and round? I know I was full throttle for at least the last 1/2 of the race once I got the 22 dialed in. I will say they were right about the Donzis making some good racing. We were neck and neck for around 7 straight laps in my heat, and Sunday the 18 & 22 clasics were neck and neck for longer than that. It was beyond a BLAST! Thanks for the picture, now to have it framed. I need to get catch 22 to get his Dad to send me the pics he took of the 1st heat. Tom

rustnrot
04-18-2008, 06:29 AM
CRA uploaded a slide show here.

http://www.classicraceboatassoc.com/tavares2008_slideshow.pdf

Our Hero is in it, I copied pic, pasted into Microsoft Paint and saved as .jpg.

Umm....DonziRacer, don't you know that talking on the cell phone while racing is illegal!

Donzi Racer
04-18-2008, 07:53 PM
CRA uploaded a slide show here.

http://www.classicraceboatassoc.com/tavares2008_slideshow.pdf

Our Hero is in it, I copied pic, pasted into Microsoft Paint and saved as .jpg.

Umm....DonziRacer, don't you know that talking on the cell phone while racing is illegal!

My framer is gonna be rich after this week with all these wonderful pics of an over the hill, chunky Race boy that thinks he is 18 again. Yeeeee Hiiiii! Andelei, andelei!!!!
And as far as the cell phone goes, you know how hard it is for me to follow the rules. Tom "THE REAL DONZI RACER"
PS by the way for those that do not know how I came up with my Donzi Registry handle, when I was 16 years old, I had a 240 Z and my Grandfather and I had a 1971 Donzi Baby with the very 1st Black Max motor sold in the state of Alabama, (I was told). It was a 175 hp and Mercury Racing put a triple racing carb setup on the motor to help us get some more speed out of it. Well I would race anything that would move. My favorite victim was a new 20 ft cigerette fresh from the New York Boat Show that showed up on our lake, Wilson Lake in North Alabama. He was faster than our little Donzi but I was as I am now Crazy as Hell and I would pick rough days and crowded days with other boaters out and outrun him mainly becasue he had a lot more sense than I did. He was one of the country club boys that wore white pants and a blazer & it tickled me to no end to beat him in his high priced Go Fast Boat. This was about the time of Smokey and the Bandit Movie and everyone was buying CB radios and coming up with CB handles. Well you guessed it, mine was Donzi Racer when I was a young man over 30 years ago so when I signed up for the registry a few years back, it was a natural remembrance back to the days when life was all about cutting the yard, and washing my Grandmothers caddy for the 2nd or 3rd time in a week to earn enough money for the gas card to go get the Donzi filled up and go out and play for a short while until it needed filling up again. That ole 175 Black Max could eat some fuel with those racing tuned carbs. Now you know the rest of the story. Tommy

Big Dog
04-23-2008, 03:05 PM
Thanks for participating you guys were exciting. I own the Jersey Skiff, Glory Days JS-30 and was the flagger at the event. I was impressed watching the Donzi's go around the course.

Can I suggest, (from watching), some of you might be better switching your throttle to a foot throttle and moving your trim to the steering wheel. I know you would have better control in the circle especially going over or thru a wake. I believe a foot will answer quicker than taking your hand off the wheel and backing down.

Dick Whyte's Donzi "Blazer" had that done to his boat and has much quicker and better control, especially when wide open. My skiff has those optional controls, and I love it.

Just a suggestion to think about, and we look forward to seeing you run again at "Roar & Soar" in November.

Stay Safe,
Marty
Webmaster www.classicraceboatassoc.com (http://www.classicraceboatassoc.com) & www.speedskiffs.com (http://www.speedskiffs.com)

Donzi Racer
04-24-2008, 01:38 PM
Thanks for participating you guys were exciting. I own the Jersey Skiff, Glory Days JS-30 and was the flagger at the event. I was impressed watching the Donzi's go around the course.

Can I suggest, (from watching), some of you might be better switching your throttle to a foot throttle and moving your trim to the steering wheel. I know you would have better control in the circle especially going over or thru a wake. I believe a foot will answer quicker than taking your hand off the wheel and backing down.

Dick Whyte's Donzi "Blazer" had that done to his boat and has much quicker and better control, especially when wide open. My skiff has those optional controls, and I love it.

Just a suggestion to think about, and we look forward to seeing you run again at "Roar & Soar" in November.

Stay Safe,
Marty
Webmaster www.classicraceboatassoc.com (http://www.classicraceboatassoc.com) & www.speedskiffs.com (http://www.speedskiffs.com)

Marty, thanks for those suggestions. I even bought a foot throttle for a barrel back we just sold. It is awfully powerful and fast and it walk can get violent quick when you trim a bit too far, which I always have a tendancy to do. My problem was I needed both hands on the wheel when it gets to full out full throttle and when the walking starts, have a hard time getting to the throttle in time to back it off a bit before we are dancing all over the river. My friend & mechanice was telling me that the hand is quicker than the foot and he suggested I keep the hand throttle. I keep telling him that may be true but when my hand is on the wheel, takes to long to get my hand to the throttle, while if my foot was on the pedal, I could surely let off a bit as I was trimming it down a bit.
Another question you may be able to help with is brother has a steering wheel with trim buttons on it. He is wanting to put it on the baby 16 footer. The boat has sea star or some kind of hydraulic steering. He is having a hard time finding a coupler or coupler adapter to fit the wheel. Also looking to get some item that would keep the wiring from getting wrapped up with hard turns? Any help would be appreciated. Tom

Big Dog
04-24-2008, 02:34 PM
Can't help you too much with the adapter, but as far as the trim wire; use a twisted wire like is used on a kill switch!

Donzi Racer
04-24-2008, 11:29 PM
Can't help you too much with the adapter, but as far as the trim wire; use a twisted wire like is used on a kill switch!

Thanks, that sounds great. Now to get the wheel to fit on. Tom