PDA

View Full Version : Changing steering wheel

TBroccoli
11-29-2007, 11:28 AM
I have a 1996 22 Classic. I want to install a new steering wheel. Is there a wheel out there that I can just undo the 5 bolts on the existing one and replace with a new one? The boats stored for the winter. Is it a five bolt pattern?

My chrome hub cover is in great shape. I want a red wheel to match the side color.

Thanks,

Tom

gcarter
11-29-2007, 11:50 AM
Most wheels are a variation on a six bolt pattern.

VetteLT193
11-29-2007, 11:51 AM
I have a 1996 22 Classic. I want to install a new steering wheel. Is there a wheel out there that I can just undo the 5 bolts on the existing one and replace with a new one? The boats stored for the winter. Is it a five bolt pattern?
My chrome hub cover is in great shape. I want a red wheel to match the side color.
Thanks,
Tom

I think it's 6 bolts. The standard momo's fit. I'll try to find a link

TBroccoli
11-29-2007, 11:52 AM
I think the new classics on the donzi website have 5 bolts.

VetteLT193
11-29-2007, 11:53 AM
dang george, you're quick.

Here's a link. The one I'm planning on getting is the red "Ponza super smooth"

I'd check eBay too. They are on there quite a bit, and for much less money.

http://www.livorsi.com/catalog/momo.htm

VetteLT193
11-29-2007, 11:56 AM
I think the new classics on the donzi website have 5 bolts.

I'm pretty confident that you'll have the same hub pattern as the Shelby GT 22. I'm not sure why they went cheap on the regular classics, but I'm 99% confident that the 5 bolt pattern started long after 1996.

TBroccoli
11-29-2007, 11:58 AM
Can you just undo the current six bolts and remove the wheel and then install the new one?

VetteLT193
11-29-2007, 01:08 PM
Can you just undo the current six bolts and remove the wheel and then install the new one?

Well, that's going to strongly depend on how easy it is to get the current bolts out.

They are usually allen head stainless steel bolts, they screw into aluminum. Corrosion can run wild between the two, and the allen head bolts are the easiest thing to strip on earth.

Needless to say, I have my brother's old steering wheel still attached to his helm and I can't get the wheel off. I think the only way I'll be able to do it is with heat, or just drilling out the old bolts.

gcarter
11-29-2007, 01:19 PM
There may be as many as three different bolt spacings on the wheels w/ the top and bottom being the same on all and different spacing on the other four. They get to sell more hubs that way.............

VetteLT193
11-29-2007, 01:57 PM
There may be as many as three different bolt spacings on the wheels w/ the top and bottom being the same on all and different spacing on the other four. They get to sell more hubs that way.............

great:smash:

gcarter
11-29-2007, 02:11 PM
Here's a thread on another forum illustrating what I'm talking about.
http://www.performanceboat.us/forum/showthread.php?t=415

VetteLT193
11-30-2007, 09:55 AM
Here's a thread on another forum illustrating what I'm talking about.
http://www.performanceboat.us/forum/showthread.php?t=415

Thanks, can't see the pics though. I also looked back at the wheel that I like and everything reads 'standard 6 bolt pattern' I know there are odd patterns for the higher end wheels, but I thought the standard 6 bolt was on our boats and is equal to the momo pattern.

gcarter
11-30-2007, 12:03 PM
Here's a pic of the mismatch;

TBroccoli
11-30-2007, 12:11 PM
I just found a pic of my wheel. I have six bolts. They are arranged different then your pic. I have 3 bolts per side. Not a top and bottom centered bolt.

Thanks for the input. Mrs clause is getting me a wheel for x mas. It is from Rex Marine. It has the bolts at top and bottom. Can I install it and re allign it to look straight?

gcarter
11-30-2007, 12:37 PM
Most hubs have two keyways @ 45* so there is a bit more adaptability. The older hubs usually have only six holes so you have rather limited location choices.
Most newer hubs will have 12 holes (and are usually plastic) so it's easier to line up properly.