PDA

View Full Version : IE7 "vs" Firefox

MOP
11-29-2007, 10:58 AM
What are the pros and cons between the two? Since the recent upgrade of Firefox I have had a couple FF having to close and re open plus having trouble opening pages. If I open IE6 the pages open quickly and I have no glitches but I miss the tabbed browsing, I am thinking of down loading IE7 with the tabbed browsing.

Phil

penbroke
11-29-2007, 11:41 AM
I have heard there are some issues with the latest release of FF. I don't use it because I could never get it to work right. There was always something that was not quite right and I got sick of messing with it. I have been using IE7 on my laptop for a few months now with no issues. It does suck up a lot of horsepower though...

Frank

Trueser
11-29-2007, 11:42 AM
Mop,
You sure you dont have a computer business going? I would run both no harm in having them both on your machine.

Good luck

BUIZILLA
11-29-2007, 11:51 AM
I have one machine in my office that runs both in tandem, probably the best machine I own right now.... not a glitch so far

VetteLT193
11-29-2007, 11:59 AM
IE7 is basically a knock off of Firefox. M$ put all the features in, and it's not well tested.

IE7 can run side by side with FF, but can't run side by side with IE6. As a developer, IE7 poses a ton of problems especially with tabbed browsing. I assure you Firefox is a much more stable and better product, and it won't give nearly as many totally unexpected results using tabbed browsing like IE7 can.

hope that helps:wink:

MOP
11-29-2007, 01:03 PM
A bunch of thanks for the replies! I love FF and have for a log time, it has been super until the latest update. I will spend some time on their forum to see what pops up.

Phil

Formula Jr
11-30-2007, 03:10 PM
Auuuhummm.....

Sorry, just clearing my throat there a bit. :wink:

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/

It's got tab browsing tooooooooo.......
Five different machines, Four operating systems.
Works just fine for me across all of them.
1.1.7 just released and a thumb drive portable is in the works.

drew0982
12-06-2007, 03:14 PM
Best to run them side by side and see which works for you... Personally I prefer FF

McGary911
12-07-2007, 01:27 AM
I use a FireFox add in that will allow me to run instances of IE within a FireFox tab. That seems to be the best of both worlds. Although not nearly a prevalent as it used to be, some pages still only work properly with IE. That's when I invoke a IE tab......my wireless access point \ router is a good example. It only likes IE.

cutwater
12-07-2007, 09:00 AM
What is the name of that add on? I definitely need that for the few applications that will only run in IE.

McGary911
12-08-2007, 11:31 AM
What is the name of that add on? I definitely need that for the few applications that will only run in IE.

It's called IE tab, and you can get it right here:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419

It works great........

Here's an old thread I started a while back about Firefox extensions.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=45020&highlight=firefox

Good luck.....

WingWing
12-10-2007, 08:51 AM
I switched from IE to FF mostly due to the security flaws in IE, especially 6 but even in 7. It is more stable in my experience than IE, but I do admit that I like the tabs and bookmark friendliness of IE 7 just a tad bit better than in FF.