PDA

View Full Version : Minx interior question

cutwater
11-28-2007, 10:14 AM
Old threads seem to indicate that the Minx rear seat is different from the 18c and 22c. What about the front seats? Has anyone had Premiere Performance Interiors (site advertiser) make an interior for the Minx? I am sending them an email now...

I need the gray with red piping for the Testarossa edition, and everything seems to indicate that Bob @ Bilt-Rite has his patterns stored away and is not making interiors...

John

MOP
11-28-2007, 11:34 AM
There is only a slight difference in the rear, Gcarter had a 22 rear seat. The fronts are the same.

Phil

Cuda
11-28-2007, 01:35 PM
Phil is correct. The interior in his Minx came out of Catch 22's 22C. I think the rear back rest was slightly longer.

VetteLT193
11-28-2007, 03:14 PM
I put my brother's seat (22) in my boat and it doesn't really fit. Width wise it's fine but it's too tall for my boat. I'm wondering if all 22 seats are the same? Or maybe there are different versions of Minx interior?

I called/emailed PPI with zero luck. I was shocked to see the ad on here, because I couldn't get them to call me / write me back. They are supposed to have the templates though, and should have no problem making them for us.

VetteLT193
11-28-2007, 03:19 PM
here is a random pic that sorta shows the height problem... look between the two seats for full effect

VetteLT193
11-28-2007, 03:25 PM
and another, look at the rope

VetteLT193
11-28-2007, 03:27 PM
and before anyone goes making fun of me, we weren't after style points on this particular day :eek!: LOL

cutwater
11-28-2007, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

I called/emailed PPI with zero luck. I was shocked to see the ad on here, because I couldn't get them to call me / write me back. They are supposed to have the templates though, and should have no problem making them for us.

Sorry to hear that. I emailed and called today, the receptionist directed me to leave a voicemail for Jim who wasn't in the office today. Hopefully I will hear back from them tomorrow.

Now... If I could only find somebody to make a correct interior for a 1965 Ski Sporter...

VetteLT193
11-28-2007, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the info guys.
Sorry to hear that. I emailed and called today, the receptionist directed me to leave a voicemail for Jim who wasn't in the office today. Hopefully I will hear back from them tomorrow.
Now... If I could only find somebody to make a correct interior for a 1965 Ski Sporter...

I'm pretty sure Jim is the guy that I left messages for too. If he calls you back, can you post (or PM me) the price? I'd really appreciate it. I'll never understand why it's so hard to spend money sometimes.

As for the ski sporter, when I talked to Donzi directly, they made it sound like PPI got copies of all the original templates. That could be a load of BS, but it's worth asking.

Cuda
11-28-2007, 05:00 PM
I had the cushions out of my Minx and the 22 at the same time, stacked on each other. The only difference was the 22 was a couple inches longer, the height was exactly the same. They may have changed over the years. It's a 1982 22C with the original interior, and a 1986 Minx, also with the original interior. When PPI was supplying Donzi, they used the same buckets for both models, and originally the 18 buckets were smaller than the 22's. I bought two sets of buckets from PPI a few years ago. One set, I sold to Jamesbond, and the other I sold to Doncig. I was going to use one set in a 20 Formula I was redoing, and I only bought the second set because I saw them sitting there in plastic with a lot of dust over them. I asked if he wanted to sell them too, and he did.

I think Donzi is doing a lot of the interiors in house now.

If you have the original interior, any auto upholstery shop should be able to refoam, and recover them. Just be sure they use marine grade vinyl, and stainless staples. I rebuilt the rear seat, and the sunpad in my 302 Formula out of starboard, then took it to an upholstery shop and had it foamed and covered.

knots2u
11-28-2007, 05:10 PM
As was said, the Minx rear bench is taller than the 22 version and the buckets are the same in the Minx and 22. PPI should only have patterns for boats that Donzi was buying interiors for in 1996, the pattern's were reverse engineered from product on hand. Donzi has never owned or had possession of the patterns to give to PPI.
Happy Holidays,
Bob

Cuda
11-28-2007, 06:17 PM
As was said, the Minx rear bench is taller than the 22 version
Bob
Mine wasn't, and I'm pretty sure they were both original.

cutwater
11-28-2007, 06:29 PM
I also remember reading an old thread saying that the 22C rear seat was shorter than the Minx, just like Bob said. But we've seen Joe's 22 interior have the same height, and Vette's 22 interior be taller than the Minx's. Maybe the 22C interior changed over the years?

knots2u
11-28-2007, 06:50 PM
Only one pattern for the Minx, three patterns for the 22: the original F22 and two versions ( 7 channels & 8 channels in the turn ) of the current 22, I had all of them. According to John, the change in number of channels in the turn made for easier construction. I recall the 22 bottom cushion was 32 channels wide and 4" foam, don't recall number of channels on the Minx but it used 3" foam. The candy stripe interior in Vette's post is not original. In your brothers boat did the bottom cushion sit under or in front of the upright cushions?

I made a few Minx interiors for people here on the board, maybe they can post some pictures and measurements. PPI could modify a 22 rear bench if given enough information.

Sweet little 16
11-28-2007, 09:33 PM
the bilt-rite interior is easy to spot as all the pleats line up top pad to bottom pad and when they come to a corner they don't get there then make the turn they anticipate the coming turn and the width of the pleat deminishes then increases as it leaves the corner here is a solid white and not for all tastes a bilt rite candy cane interior is a seamstress work of art
http://www.donzi.net/hull/16-388/Image_12.jpg

Sweet little 16
11-28-2007, 09:44 PM
I bet if you centered the camera and the swivel seats in this boat you can get the pleats and the colors to line up front buckets to to back bench seat yes that's bilt rite!!!

http://www.donzi.net/hull/C19H61/C19H61-1.jpg

VetteLT193
11-29-2007, 06:47 AM
As was said, the Minx rear bench is taller than the 22 version and the buckets are the same in the Minx and 22. PPI should only have patterns for boats that Donzi was buying interiors for in 1996, the pattern's were reverse engineered from product on hand. Donzi has never owned or had possession of the patterns to give to PPI.
Happy Holidays,
Bob
My brother's boat has had the interior re-done. The rear bench backrest sits on top of the rear pad like normal. Here is a better picture (and the front seat cushion stripes do line up when I flip-flopped the seat bases, thanks knots2u)
When my brother and I took a close look at both boats and interiors, we figured it had to do with the taller seat bases. In my Minx you sit up pretty tall, and the 22 the seat base is low. Also, the Minx has no raised lip (totally flat) leading up to the back bench so I think the extra free-board of the Minx is negated.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32038&d=1191505868

VetteLT193
11-29-2007, 07:25 AM
I did some reading/research...

Here's a good pic of Cuda's interior, taken from one of his posts:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26846&d=1170297724

and another of GCarter's interior.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8237&d=1102814275

GCarter said something about the curve of the 22 Vs. the flat deck of the Minx. In a nutshell, the Minx and 22 interior is about the same on the sides, but in the middle the 22 is taller. Notice how uniform the height is on Cuda's Minx, Vs. my brother's 22 or GCarter's back seat. Look how it gradually increases in height.

Cuda
11-29-2007, 09:05 AM
Only one pattern for the Minx, three patterns for the 22: the original F22 and two versions ( 7 channels & 8 channels in the turn ) of the current 22, I had all of them. According to John, the change in number of channels in the turn made for easier construction. I recall the 22 bottom cushion was 32 channels wide and 4" foam, don't recall number of channels on the Minx but it used 3" foam. The candy stripe interior in Vette's post is not original. In your brothers boat did the bottom cushion sit under or in front of the upright cushions?
I made a few Minx interiors for people here on the board, maybe they can post some pictures and measurements. PPI could modify a 22 rear bench if given enough information.
I had a new Minx interior from you, and it was beautiful, and absolutely perfect! I hated to sell that boat. :(

Cuda
11-29-2007, 09:12 AM
It's possible that I was mistaken on the height of the two back pads. I bought the interior to the Minx from another Donzi owner who had sold his Minx before installing it, it was still in the plastic when I got it. A lot of people said the dark blue interior would be too hot here in Florida, but in reality, it didn't get any hotter than the white that was in it originally, and looked a whole lot sharper.:cool:

gcarter
11-29-2007, 10:17 AM
The camber of the deck is different. W/catch's rear seat in the Minx, it snapped in just fine, but the bottom of the sides were high, i.e., there was a 2' gap between the bottom at the sides and the seat bottom.

gcarter
11-29-2007, 11:47 AM
Ken (Minxguy) asked me to post this picture of his (former) Minx's new rear seat.

CHACHI
11-29-2007, 05:45 PM
Actually that is a photo of the original factory interior. The second set I purchased never made it into the boat.
I can say this about the 1987 interior in the Minx, the foam is a hell of alot better than the foam in my 1999's 22. Even after 20 years of being in the boat the Minx's seats felt firmer than my 22's and held a "better shape".

Bob, fire those sewing machins up again.

Ken

VetteLT193
11-30-2007, 09:44 AM
Bob, fire those sewing machins up again.
Ken

I'll second that!

VetteLT193
12-11-2007, 02:28 PM
hey cutwater, ever hear back from PPI?