PDA

View Full Version : New 6.2L engine

Last Tango
11-27-2007, 08:41 PM
And if the 383 Scorpion isn't enough small block for you, wait until Mercury Marine marinizes this:

(Here come da judge. Here come da judge!)

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071127/FREE/71127002/1528/newsletter01

blackhawk
11-27-2007, 09:11 PM
I JUST read about the new ZR1 motor today while in my doctor's waiting room. They're predicting 650hp for the Vette and a detuned 600hp for the Caddy.
Also, the mag(Motortrend I think) stated the 1990-1995 ZR1 motor was built by Mercury Marine. I didn't know that.

tiger lily
11-27-2007, 11:01 PM
the old zr1 engine was a lt5, the only thing lt about it was the name, it was a DOHC 350ci, and was one of the coolest sounding engines ive ever heard

DonCig
11-27-2007, 11:37 PM
the old zr1 engine was a lt5, the only thing lt about it was the name, it was a DOHC 350ci, and was one of the coolest sounding engines ive ever heard
Great history story on the LT5 engine.
http://www.zr1netregistry.com/LT5tech.htm

blackhawk
11-28-2007, 10:12 AM
Great history story on the LT5 engine.
http://www.zr1netregistry.com/LT5tech.htm

Nice find! I wonder why we never saw a marinized version? I assume too much aluminum and/or cost?

Manufacturing and Service

The LT5 is built under contract by the Mercury Marine Division of the Brunswick Corporation. At face value, this may seem strange but upon examination it appears a wise step. The reasons for Mercury's participation are two: 1) this engine will be a moderate production item (10-50 units per day) and, to attain quality goals, will require race-shop style assembly. Chevrolet would have trouble with costs and quality in a small run like that whereas Mercury, who normally deals in those production rates, is ideal for it. 2) The engine has many precision-machined aluminum die-castings and uses anaerobic (gasketless) sealing in many places. Mercury Marine is a world-leader in these technologies because of their experience with aluminum, anerobicly-sealed outboard motors and outdrives. Mercury will subcontract much of the foundry work but 95% of the machine work and all of the assembly tasks will be done in Mercury's facility at Stillwater, Oklahoma. At this point, the plan is not only break-in each engine on a test stand but each engine's maximum horsepower will be verified before it is shipped to the Corvette assembly plant in Bowling Green, Kentucky. Lastly, Mercury's agreement with Chevrolet includes a clause that gives them the right to adapt the LT5 for marine use approximately one year after it's introduced in the Corvette.

harbormaster
12-27-2007, 10:32 PM
I was talking to Ray Brody at Raylar engineering this last week and I believe that he had said that GM is stalling off the rollout of this engine due to Supercharger failures.

VetteLT193
12-28-2007, 07:03 AM
Nice find! I wonder why we never saw a marinized version? I assume too much aluminum and/or cost?

Total engine cost for each LT5 was in the area of $25,000.

It's a great engine for endurance, practically unbreakable, but it came at a high cost. Reeves Callaway once called the ZR1 an overweight pig because even with all the exotic materials it weighed a ton and really didn't make a whole lot of extra power.

gcarter
12-28-2007, 08:27 AM
There were one or more LT5's marinized and put into (I think) ski boats. It was done with no future intention of any production.
BTW, engine searches on eBay turns up some interesting examples, for instance, two days ago there was a new Aston Martin V12 engine ,six litre and about 450 HP, for a Buy-it-now price of $30,000.00. It's not there today so I guess someone took advantage of it.
Also now there are two or three BMW V12's for sale.
Lots of potential projects out there.