PDA

View Full Version : Mini-Hawk

lars
11-27-2007, 06:56 AM
If You like the cigarette boats, but want to fit Your beauty in the garage this should be a good fit. Hard to find in good condition.
http://rochester.craigslist.org/boa/468791101.html
Boat for sale in the first picture.

lmsac00
12-02-2007, 10:28 AM
These boats are awesome looking, I owned one a few years back and painted it vette yellow wth flames. It came with a 35 H.P engine and the I,D. tag said two person 25 H.P max. I found out the hard way , i was accelarating from a dead stop and maxed the throttle and the boat use to lean hard to one side, one day low and behold in front of my wife and kids watching, the boat did the canoe affect and rolled over while accelarating, its not a good feeling being upside down in aboat while moving forward, i was very disoriented under water , lucky for me a pontoon driver came to the rescue, I pulled the boat and fired her right back up and pulled it and sold it. I guess thats why it was a 25 H.P. max. I learned the hard way. They are very sharp boats .

lars
12-04-2007, 05:43 AM
Well I'm glad You were not to shook up by the accident. I have to agree though and that is that it's hard to find small boats that handle well. In the 18'-20' range there's plenty of good handling hulls, but at 13' with plenty of good looks I would say the Bullet 130 is hard to beat. See great video.
http://media.putfile.com/Livin-on-the-Edge-45

McGary911
12-22-2007, 09:57 AM
Well I'm glad You were not to shook up by the accident. I have to agree though and that is that it's hard to find small boats that handle well. In the 18'-20' range there's plenty of good handling hulls, but at 13' with plenty of good looks I would say the Bullet 130 is hard to beat. See great video.
http://media.putfile.com/Livin-on-the-Edge-45

Tim Sharkey from my hometown of Pt Pleasant Beach NJ builds these boats. He's a member here and posts from time to time. Those little boats are built very very well.

lars
12-23-2007, 12:25 AM
Tim Sharkey from my hometown of Pt Pleasant Beach NJ builds these boats. He's a member here and posts from time to time. Those little boats are built very very well.

Glad to hear he's still making them. Somehow I got the feeling from his web site that he stopped producing them. There's something fascinating about small boats that perform and look good while they're at it. Just followed the Donzi 14 Baby thread, same thing, that little one looks great and obviously runs in the 50's and is stable as if it was on rails.

Lenny
12-27-2007, 10:16 PM
Just a thought, but, it looks like the hull mentioned above (video) would benefit from a bit more strake towards the bow. ???

Seems to dive heavy and wetted ... or it is just me... ;)

lars
12-27-2007, 11:16 PM
Just a thought, but, it looks like the hull mentioned above (video) would benefit from a bit more strake towards the bow. ???
Seems to dive heavy and wetted ... or it is just me... ;)
I think You're on the right track Lenny. Many hulls are prone to stuff under rough conditions, but as far as the small ones I think it's even more important to have more lift in the bow, with the help of both strakes and a little flair. Many manufacturers have used more flair in the bow with a lot of success. The Italian designer Fabio Buzzi is very good at the anti stuffing bow designs in my opinion. Here's photo's of an assortment of good little ones throughout the years. Shakespeare GB, Boston Whaler USA, Weedo GT Sweden, Allison USA.

chappy
12-29-2007, 11:49 AM
That is one cool little whaler, as well as a great photo collection. While I'm at it, very informative thread as well, thanks guys.:cool:

LKSD
01-05-2008, 06:35 PM
I used to have a Mini hawk with a 35 merc on it.. Neat little boats.. :) Jamie

riptide
04-08-2008, 07:12 PM
I used to have a Mini hawk with a 35 merc on it.. Neat little boats.. :) Jamie

. Not very stable ,rough ride (flat bottom ) and you can't turn them sharp at speed, they will dig in the stern and break lose and try to throw you out. look's good on a trailer and going straight on a lake. I was going to be a dealer for them back in the 80's ,bought one to fool around with and test. tested it with a 25 merc. and didn't go any bigger,didn't feel right. Sold it to a guy that had to have it ! bought another little boat 10'6 ,that would run great with a 25 merc. 42 mph and you could yank it into a left turn circle at42 mph and it would dig in and turn. it had a 22 degree V bottom running the full bottom. no one ever turned one over or flipped one and belive me they tried. people loved them . sold about 15 or16 that summer to peoplethat wanted them for there kids. The only thing that I didn't like about the boat,was it looked like it should be in a little tank going round and round,with little kids in it. It was a real sleeper...it could Perform Rip

fastfun2
05-30-2008, 07:13 PM
The 2nd two pics in the first posts are mine. I own the KAAMA hawk.