PDA

View Full Version : Just a thought....

DonziFreak
11-26-2007, 07:18 AM
Hey guys, I must confess something...
As much as I love our 18 barrel-back, I am thinking about maybe moving up to a 22c...

I love the barrel-back with all my heart, since it has been in the family for nearly 35 years now, but I feel that I would like a bigger boat. The bays here in Miami are hectic and only seem to be getting worse, with all these people coming in and buying these big ol' boats and causing these huge damn wakes....grr....

So, I was thinking about buying a 22c hull rigged, minus power...I can't make a move on anything ATM due to some money issues, but when the time comes, I will have about $15,000 to work with, which is fine by me provided i can get a clean hull rigged, maybe even with a drive (which would be nice!) and maybe building a Chevy 454 to drop in there....

What do you guys think about this idea?

Thanks,
Carlos

VetteLT193
11-26-2007, 07:26 AM
Here ya go, http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50704

I don't know if he sold it or not, but I think last I checked he was looking for 9k minus the power, drive, and steering.

DonziFreak
11-26-2007, 07:31 AM
grrrrrrrr, your making me wanna buy the boat right now, haha! I wonder how much he would want for the hull+drive and steering?....hope he finds this post, hehe

VetteLT193
11-26-2007, 09:14 AM
if you click through the first eBay link you'll find the 2nd listing... here is a direct link... he posted a price options for the drive/parts etc. again, not sure if it's still for sale, but I thought of it when I read your post:)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190162153121

cutwater
11-26-2007, 09:58 AM
DonziFreak, have you posted any pics of your boat on the forum? I love the barrelbacks. I confused myself reading... does the $15K budget include the engine build?

DonziFreak
11-26-2007, 11:05 AM
yes, the 15k budget does include the engine build, but thats why I wanna take a 454 and modify it myself, instead of going merc....
I just can't afford merc as it is, besides, i think i would want to run a carburated engine instead of EFI, since it's pretty much always the same conditions down here in Miami, and I could just tune it myself if I were to travel with the boat
As far as pictures of my boat, no, I don't have any decent ones to show...:garfield: I have it stored with our race boats and waverunner, so its a little bit of a cramped area...next time I pull her out tho, I will take the oppurtunity to nab some photos, I only have one photo at this time, and it shows the decay of the deck....haha....I am planning a full resto pretty soon tho, as soon as i can put enough money in the bank to get the deck lifted and stringers replaced....
http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/2461/thedonziny4.th.jpg (http://img144.imageshack.us/my.php?image=thedonziny4.jpg)
hope the picture worked.....

p729lws
11-26-2007, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the links Vette! :cool!:

I sent you a PM Carlos.

I still have the 22 and the reserve for everything except the motor, drive, transom assembly and external steering was $7K. I'm bummed about selling it so I havn't been motivated to list it anywhere. I'll get it listed seriously by late winter or early spring.

The fleet is down from 4 boats to 3 and 1 more has to go. :(

Dan

DonziFreak
11-26-2007, 05:38 PM
Dan, I sent a PM back to ya

DonziFreak
11-26-2007, 06:54 PM
I'm surprised more people havn't chimed in on this topic.....I was asking for opinions! :biggrin:

VetteLT193
11-27-2007, 07:03 AM
I'm surprised more people havn't chimed in on this topic.....I was asking for opinions! :biggrin:

As far as moving up is concerned they are really different boats. The 22 will treat you better in bigger water etc.

I like the "sit in" feel over the "sit on" feel, so IMHO the 22 is the way to go... but that is personality based 100%

p729lws
11-27-2007, 10:54 AM
It's also harder to stuff a 22 than an 18. It's a nice step up from a 18.

Dan

smoothie
11-27-2007, 12:10 PM
Im chimed in....how much for that ruff ridin barrelback:hyper::biggrin.:

DonziFreak
11-27-2007, 12:46 PM
Im chimed in....how much for that ruff ridin barrelback:hyper::biggrin.:

haha, well, as of right now, it's not on the market...the barrel-back has been in my family for 35 years, it was the first boat my grandfather boat after he imigrated here from Cuba...it's practicaly a member of the family, and I just can't put a price on that......

DonziFreak
11-27-2007, 12:49 PM
It's also harder to stuff a 22 than an 18. It's a nice step up from a 18.
Dan

they say the same thing for a 28 Pantera, but I saw one break clean in half, with my father trapped in it.....so...ya, anything is possible in a boat!

smoothie
11-27-2007, 12:50 PM
I thought so and dont blame ya...nice boat!

handfulz28
11-27-2007, 01:22 PM
Like everybody says, you're better off NOT buying a project. If you want it to be a project, don't have a predetermined "budget" or too stringent of a time frame.
Given the current high pride of Donzi owners right now, I think it will be difficult to find a real good value. Dan's hull is probably at the top of the list as far as bare hulls go. But you'll have $20k into it before you're done. I "think" you could find a decent running boat for less than that.
Just my opinion...YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).

p729lws
11-27-2007, 01:48 PM
they say the same thing for a 28 Pantera, but I saw one break clean in half, with my father trapped in it.....so...ya, anything is possible in a boat!

What set of conditions caused a 28 Pantera to break clean in half? I’ve read about catastrophic failures of a Pantera about as often as I’ve read about catastrophic failures of a classic (which is never). Not saying it couldn’t happen but I’ve never heard about it.

Dan

p729lws
11-27-2007, 02:07 PM
Dan's hull is probably at the top of the list as far as bare hulls go. But you'll have $20k into it before you're done. I "think" you could find a decent running boat for less than that.
Just my opinion...YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).

It's definately a buyers market right now. Makes me want to shrink wrap the 22 and put it in long term dry storage. That '87 22 w/ the blower motor sold on Ebay awhile back for a little over $10K. It wasn't in great condition but it was all there and was usable from what the buyer said.

If you bought mine complete w/ the drive and steering for $14K and put a decent $10K motor in it you'd still be in it for $10K less than I was. If you don't mind an older drive line there's definately some deals out there.

Dan

DonziFreak
11-27-2007, 02:19 PM
What set of conditions caused a 28 Pantera to break clean in half? I’ve read about catastrophic failures of a Pantera about as often as I’ve read about catastrophic failures of a classic (which is never). Not saying it couldn’t happen but I’ve never heard about it.
Dan

Hit a 5 footer, landed in-between another set, and just snapped clean in half...tossed the driver and throttle man out, trapped my father under the deck.....

DonziFreak
11-27-2007, 02:21 PM
It's definately a buyers market right now. Makes me want to shrink wrap the 22 and put it in long term dry storage. That '87 22 w/ the blower motor sold on Ebay awhile back for a little over $10K. It wasn't in great condition but it was all there and was usable from what the buyer said.
If you bought mine complete w/ the drive and steering for $14K and put a decent $10K motor in it you'd still be in it for $10K less than I was. If you don't mind an older drive line there's definately some deals out there.
Dan

I really wanted to build a motor up, because I feel I can do a good job for a low price....If i were to buy the 22c, I would just want it to run, 70 MPH is fine by me because I don't have a need for another race boat! :biggrin:

Carlos

VetteLT193
11-28-2007, 07:22 AM
Dan

Winter is usually like this... when the weather turns in a few months things will change. The blower eBay 22 was a fluke, the member that bought it got the deal of a lifetime because the guy that listed it made it look terrible.

The major $$ killer on older classics is any kind of update. It seems you get about 10-20% of your money back on updates on the drive, engine, and steering (all the high dollar parts too).

Stan24
11-28-2007, 10:40 AM
I have a friend who has an older 25 Sea Ray who installed a brand new 496 with a new bravo high performance drive and wants to sell the whole package, with tqndem galvanized trailer for $10,000. Engine/drive combo has less tha 50 hours. This combo pushed this old slug 59 mph on GPS. He owns a marina and lost interest in the project.

boatnut
11-28-2007, 09:23 PM
A 22 looks better, same beam with more length. A 22 will handle slightly rougher water conditions (at a given speed). But the 18's are clearly more fun to drive in my opinion -- it is not even close. The 18's are more responsive and are a perfectly balanced boat -- fun to dance through choppy conditions with. The 22's are less responsive and more sensitive to drive trim and tab settings. I've owned two 22's and two 18's including a barrel back so I am an equal oportunity evaluator :wink:. Ed

BigGrizzly
11-29-2007, 09:29 AM
I do agree with Boat Nut, that is why I still have both, or I should say my wife lets me keep both. with the 18 I get the same thrill at 50->60 in the 18 that I get at 80+ on the Criterion. In certain rough water condition I would rather be in the Corsican.

DonziFreak
11-29-2007, 07:09 PM
the 18 isn't going anywhere, shes been a part of the family and my life way to long for me to put a price on her!

But my reasoning for the 22 thoughts wasn't for my comfort and much for passenger comfort and the fact that theres a broader range of things a bigger boats allows me to do....like actualy going out of the bay from time to time....