PDA

View Full Version : in a toss up

tiger lily
11-26-2007, 12:33 AM
between buying a boat turn key, and a project, what would some of you guys do? because of my brilliant career choice, i dont get to come home every night, but i do get a couple weeks off straight every now and then.
what i can see about it is, a project i can rig myself and will know every inch of it, turn key boat, will hopefully be just that, but we all know thats not always the case, either way ill prolly find myself working on either

gcarter
11-26-2007, 06:30 AM
I think everyone knows my answer. But not everyone has my facilities or my (?questionable?) talents.
But projects are always fun, educational, enlightening, frustrating, terrifying, etc., etc.
When Bob was over the other day, he asked me how hard it was to remove the engine from his (new to him) 22C. I think everyone that has the space deserves the experience of pulling their drive and engine. That action alone can be the start to all kind of projects if it's nothing more than cleaning and painting the engine, and throwing a coat of white BilgeKote in the compartment.

Cuda
11-26-2007, 06:46 AM
Turn key without a doubt. I've done enough wrenching to last me a lifetime. :garfield:

cutwater
11-26-2007, 09:09 AM
You could buy a project and get George to make it turn key...

VetteLT193
11-26-2007, 09:31 AM
I think if you are looking at that big of a project (engine/drive/etc.) turn key is going to be cheaper so that may be a factor.

The other major factor is time. My boat is mechanically great, with the occasional hiccup here and there... But, just my painting project is time consuming as heck. Balancing that, along with regular chores, wife, baby, general auto maintenance, etc. etc. I just don't have that much time to work on the boat as I'd like. Throw in a few rainy days here and there (I don't have the awesome GCarter setup) and everything takes forever.

hope that helps:)

ChromeGorilla
11-26-2007, 09:53 AM
First you have to ask yourself, self what would be more fun after coming in from a few PITA weeks from being offshore........

1. Working on your project. (For however long it takes....up to a year...maybe more...)
or
2. Hitting the water in your boat.

If you really enjoy the project side...go for it....but if you rather be out on the water.....

Good Luck.

Lenny
11-26-2007, 09:55 AM
Turn key. Without a doubt.

Team Jefe
11-26-2007, 11:56 AM
Matt - I think the Chrome one has it nailed. Myself, I got a semi-project once and sold it quick...not my Bag Baby.

Guys like George and many others like them alot.

figure out which bunch you fit into.

Last Tango
11-26-2007, 02:48 PM
Your avatar says you like cool stuff and like to boat. Turn Key, then pick your battles later.

tiger lily
11-26-2007, 05:21 PM
its gonna be a tough call im gonna hve to make soon, the project in question isnt that bad, engines are there and so are drives, hull is good, it just needs to be rigged and wired, which isnt a huge undergoing, i know some people up in michigan that for a reasonable price could prolly even do the work for me,
i am looking to purchase in cash, and does anyone know how it works when the current owner of the boat as a note on it? how do i get the lien cleared , or is there a safe way to do it where i cant get screwed?

osur866
11-26-2007, 06:03 PM
Keep in mind turn-key is never truely turn key! At least if never found a boat,car,house,bike or anything else that had a motor or a key that is truely turn-key, there is matiance on anything as you mention and threre's allways the unexpected things that pop up. I believe I remember reading something about a boat tralier this past week! I'm in the turn key camp but don't kid yourself there will still be things to fix and work on, not to mention the upgrades. SO my vote turn-key but still expect to work on it unless you plan on just paying someone to do it all. Steve

Lenny
11-26-2007, 07:51 PM
the project in question isnt that bad, engines are there and so are drives,

Yikes, that is scaring me already... :eek:

tiger lily
11-26-2007, 08:15 PM
Yikes, that is scaring me already... :eek:

heheh, engines are fresh and new, drives look to be good, someone else started the project and now they dont have the money or time to finish it, so im thinking about, i would says its 90 percent done, but in my situation, all the turn key boats im looking at are in the early 90's, so they will be needing alot of maintance

MOP
11-26-2007, 08:20 PM
To clear a lien the easy way is to find out the payout, once you have that figure you make two bank checks one to the owner and one to the lender. The lien will more then likely take a few weeks to get channeled through the state, but you will know it is taken care of in advance.

Phil

hot shot
11-27-2007, 05:38 AM
matt what kind of boat are you lookin at ? mick

Mac
11-27-2007, 07:14 AM
Project, I recently picked up another project boat, outboards this time, there are some really good deals out there on late 80s early 90s boats that can be bought for next to nothing, if the hull is solid you put new power and electronics you can have a basically new boat for a third to half what a comparable new boat would cost.

tiger lily
11-27-2007, 10:38 PM
matt what kind of boat are you lookin at ? mick

whats up mick, looking at a couple sutphens, both in the 80's, also found a couple 24 panteras with outboards, ive been searching forever, was looking and really hoping to pick up matt chryslers old powerplay"3 stooges" but its alittle outta my price range still, and maybe its even been sold, not 100% sure what im gonna do yet

Lenny
11-29-2007, 01:39 AM
Matt, is this it :eek:

:D

http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.com/files/14156_7.jpg

tiger lily
11-29-2007, 10:39 AM
i havent found that one yet, but quads!! thats awesome, whats it in?