PDA

View Full Version : 1966 18 Donzi Classic

BlownCrewCab
11-21-2007, 05:37 PM
FOR SALE 18 DONZI CLASSIC
Well I’ve finally decided to sell my Favorite toy. It’s a 1966 Donzi 18 Classic.(Barrel Back) It has the original Deep V all the way back. Before they rounded the keel. It’s a Great choppy water boat. The Hull has had a deck off restoration. New stringers, new transom. Transom is wood side to side. Not the little center chunk they do now. The hull and deck are glassed together (where possible). The hull & deck where painted, but from sitting in the sun the deck is faded and has some crazing and some stress cracks and needs to be redone. Hull still looks great. The original steel fuel tank had a leak, so it was removed. Since, I have run it on a 9 gallon portable tank. The place between the stringers is cleared of foam and ready for a new tank. When I bought it, it had nothing, not 1 wire, seat, cleat, NADA. So now it has a Balanced 408 ci (small block chevy), 5.7 rods, KB pistons, total seal gapless rings, crane roller rockers, Crower Cam & lifters. Diamond push rods, Torker II manifold, Holley electric pump, Holley 650 carb, Mallory electronic distributor, Crane HI 6 Ignition with a PS91 coil, Stainless Marine 4” Dry Exhaust (Transom dump), 7 quart oil pan, HV pump, oil cooler, dual oil filters. Dual batteries In Stainless Marine Boxes with onboard charger, small block flywheel with a Big Block coupler mated to a Bravo 1 Drive w/resevoir 1.5 ratio. Now the drive has a 1” spacer. Drive was mounted 3” high, now with the spacer it’s 2” high. Boat was fast and fun without the spacer, but cavitated allot and we like to tube and stuff so the spacer was a must. All hardware is included to remove spacer. Boat also has a full compliment of Nordskog Gauges and a GPS Speedo. Gaffrig separate throttle and shifter with trim in Knob. 12 x 12 Bennett Dual Cyl Sport tabs with Stainless Marine trim indicators for tabs and drive. Eddie Marine billet grab handle. Dino steering wheel. Full hydraulic steering. Marine Machine external S/S cylinder, Imco 5 bolt cap. Sea Star 2.4 hydraulic helm. Drive shower. Comes with a 4 blade 24p Bravo 1 and a 3 blade 23p Mirage props. Both solid hubs. I guess they didn’t save the ski locker after the deck off resto, so it’s not there. I Used some wood slats to cover the hole, Makes a nice Kick panel, eventually I was going to use UHMW. It comes on a dual axle galvanized trailer with 4 new tires, all new wheel bearings and seals, bearing buddies and a spare tire and wheel. Even has LED brake lights.
Now this is NOT the boat for a Beginner. It shouldn’t be your First boat. It’s fast and light enough to get out of hand. But it does have great manners. With the 3 blade prop and no spacer it runs 77 on the GPS with a very slow floating feeling chine walk. Lots of fun. With the spacer and the 4 blade prop it runs 70-73 with a little more wiggle just from the big prop jerking it around. Still very fun and safe if you don’t try to make a sharp turn.
No expense was spared building this from the bare hull and deck I bought. it has allot of really good stuff but It isn’t totally done. The hard part is done. All that’s left is It needs the fuel tank installed, engine hatch and deck need painting. Also needs rear seat cushions (the ones in it are the wrong color). It sits outside (covered) and doesn’t get the use or care it deserves so I have to let it go.. Call Mike at: 865-932-3691, leave a message if I don't answer, I will call you back.
Asking $9,500 OBO (still Negotiable)

Scott Pearson
11-22-2007, 07:19 PM
Ok...I'm a little lost. If this boat was completely restored with new stringers, transom and the deck was off. Why then wasn't the fuel tank replaced? Now that you glassed the deck to the hull it makes it even more difficult to remove the deck once again and replace the tank. This is the correct and only way to fix this problem. And now you need to find a ski locker or make one, get an engine hatch, paint the deck and have rear seat cushions made?! So really...this is not a restoration...Its in need of restoration.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying the boat isn't worth what your asking I'm just stating that I have a hard time with the restoration part. And what you have stated in absolutely not a restoration...sorry if I have offended anyone.

I just don't get it.......

BlownCrewCab
11-22-2007, 09:48 PM
I Didn't do the deck off part, I bought it after that. The original fuel tank from the outside looked fine, it rusted from the inside out. So I removed it. also there absolutly IS room for a new tank to be installed without removing the deck. I Got the old one out that way, and thats considerably harder. Also it says " The HULL Has had a Deck off restoration" I Never said the "BOAT" Has Been Restored. I Also Said the engine hatch needs 'PAINTING" Not a new Hatch. The deck was Painted, obviously a few years before I bought it and now it's faded and needs to be redone. It comes with back seat cushions, but they are from a red and white Donzi and this boat is black and white. As for the ski locker, Have you ever ski'd behind a 18 Donzi???? I Have, about 2 times, It's not a ski boat. This boat was bought with nothing in it (other than a fuel tank that leaked)It was built/Rigged by a person (ME) who has Had a few 16 & 18 Donzi's in my time. I Have Been around boats for a few years, May have even raced a few times. And I prepared this boat to perfom like it's capable of. Also I feel for the price (Which Says OBO) and what Little work it would take to complete, it a pretty good Deal.

chappy
11-23-2007, 07:30 AM
Welcome to the board. That's a good looking barrel back with one heck of a nice looking motor in it.:cool: Good luck with the sale, hope it goes to a member on the board.

Rich

sweet 16 1966
11-23-2007, 07:51 AM
Many of us see potential in this boat and understand the work involved.
Ski locker, tank, interior/seats, gel/paint would be a good beginning for this deserving boat. Not a small task nor expense.
My 66- 16 has and is still a very good ski boat. The secret is in the prop.

BlownCrewCab
11-23-2007, 12:03 PM
I Have run a small pitch prop for a day of tubing and stuff, It'll pull a skier up just fine. what makes it not a ski boat is the wake. the newer donzi's with the rounded keel have a much smaller wake than this true Deep V. It has a low speed wake similar to a wake boarding boat with the weight added. For wake boarding, tubing, Hydrosliding it's great, for slolom skiing where you come flying across the wake, not so great...unless you want to add a flip.

sweet 16 1966
11-23-2007, 06:42 PM
I have no experience with the 18 but the 16 worked very well.
Slalom skiing at 34 was a similar wake to a MasterCraft.

Donzi Racer
11-24-2007, 05:07 PM
I have no experience with the 18 but the 16 worked very well.
Slalom skiing at 34 was a similar wake to a MasterCraft.

The 18 is much different than the 16 as far as slalomn skiing. An outboard 16 ft. donzi was the best ski boat I can remember having in my life, but the 18's we had was definitely the worst. That wonderful hook in the bottom of the 16 footers that everyone trying for more speed hates, is a great wonderous thing for getting multiple or heavy skiiers out of the water fast. The wake on the 18 is about as large as the malibu or correct craft ski boats but seems to have a different shape and you do feel like you are going to go head first or flip when you hit that thing at full speed coming across it. Just my 2 cents. Great model boat. Tom

BlownCrewCab
11-29-2007, 08:05 PM
Okay, New Lower Price...$9,500 still some room to negotiate.

This boat runs flawlessly. never a hiccup.

C'mon, buy it for yourself for Xmas..

BlownCrewCab
11-30-2007, 08:30 PM
Price reduced, $9,500 OBO

Magicallbill
12-12-2007, 01:49 AM
Why is the helm on the starboard side if it's a 66?

Sweet little 16
12-12-2007, 05:53 AM
2 possibilities

one it was moved when they put the merc in which would explain the difference in the colors from the dash to the side liner

or

it was one of the few that left the factory that way with a different power plant than ford eaton possible a gm powered omc boat

BlownCrewCab
12-12-2007, 09:42 PM
I Like to drive with my left hand and Throttle with my right. When I got the boat it had the helm hole on the left, I filled/Patched in the whole dash and started from scratch, that explains the two different colors of white you see.

chappy
12-13-2007, 06:57 AM
"Brownies Son"

Is that the Brownie that raced and built boats with Don?

Sorry for the hijack, just found that line interesting.

BlownCrewCab
12-13-2007, 08:32 AM
Yes! Same Guy. I Have Been around Donzi's, Nova's, Magnuns,, Flight's,Cougars, Cigarettes My whole life(well, up to the point I Moved from Miami)(scott, I'm still a Huge Hurricanes Fan). I Thought I'd let the boat sell it's self instead of name dropping. I Should have done more research, theres allot of nice Donzis on here. I could/should have painted the deck and finished the fuel tank but didn't have time to enjoy the boat, let alone finish it. what was done to it so far was done with care and intentions of being a hell of a boat, it's just not done..

BlownCrewCab
12-24-2007, 03:21 PM
New Lower Price. $8750.00

I don't think you can buy all the good stuff on this boat for that price. at the time I paid $4000.00 for the Bravo1 drive.

Donzi Racer
12-24-2007, 10:23 PM
New Lower Price. $8750.00

I don't think you can buy all the good stuff on this boat for that price. at the time I paid $4000.00 for the Bravo1 drive.

Nice ride, would you mind emailing me when you have a chance or give a call. Tom Mishunaire@aol.com 256-777-0844

RedDog
12-26-2007, 09:32 AM
Does BlownCrew Cab = Micheal in Knoxville? I have always looked for you on Ft Loudon but have never seen you. If so, I hope this boat stays in the area.

BlownCrewCab
12-26-2007, 07:36 PM
Does BlownCrew Cab = Micheal in Knoxville? I have always looked for you on Ft Loudon but have never seen you. If so, I hope this boat stays in the area.

we usually went to cherokee lake, it's closest to the house, also, the boat never left the driveway this year and only once last year, thats why I'm selling it. it deserves better than just sitting around.

BlownCrewCab
01-02-2008, 09:59 AM
It's Not sold Yet, It's still sitting in my driveway. Prospective buyer seeing it saturday.

cutwater
01-02-2008, 01:37 PM
I was misinformed! ... retracting my statement :wink:

68 sixteen
01-02-2008, 01:56 PM
very nice boat.i have the same engine in my 16 with an old volvo 270 drive. i havent ran it yet, just got it a couple of months ago. the guy said it goes over 70 mph

good luck selling it.

buy the way, are u sure its an 18 because donzis in the 64-70 range were all left hand donzis and the props span counter clockwise

BlownCrewCab
01-03-2008, 12:13 PM
I had this motor in a 16 with an alfa drive. it's too much. thats why I switched to an 18. I Changed it from left to right hand steer...

BlownCrewCab
01-05-2008, 08:26 PM
SOLD, A Nice Kid and His Uncle got a Great Deal. you'll be able to tell who it is, their Eye lids and Lips will be peeled back, Enjoy, call with any questions.

Mike