PDA

View Full Version : Muscle car guys, I bought a COPO Chevy

gold-n-rod
11-19-2007, 07:55 PM
OK, it's not a Nickey, Motion or Berger Camaro or Nova, but it's still pretty cool.
I just got back from central Illinois where I picked up a cherry '77 COPO 9C1 Nova. To jog your memory, the COPO ordering process is how Motion, Nickey, Berger, etc. obtained all of the cars they modified. It's also how fleet orders (and police) were processed. 1977 was the last of the COPO cars. All the codes changed to SEO (special equipment options) after that. 9C1 is the police package designation.
This car was never used in police work; it was ordered by an individual for civilian use. In 1980, he spent $975 (plus installation) for the then "new" EFI system made by Edlebrock. That was a lot of mod money in 1980 dollars. The car had 4K miles at the time.
It spent a lot of time in storage and today has just a tick over 22K original miles. I even got the 4 original police radials that were delivered on the car, although it currently runs modern tires.
The original dealer order form, dealer's copy of the window sticker, the warranty book and a huge packet of manuals and corespondence about the EFI system came with. I also got an original set of keys on the selling dealer's key fob.
She needs a little attention, but not much. I definately think it's a keeper. I'll probably make the rounds of the national shows and maybe a Super Chevy show to see how she fares in the judging arena. Might also be national magazine material.
Here's a pic:
http://denalitrucks.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10006/normal_COPO_9C1_018.jpg

BUIZILLA
11-19-2007, 08:18 PM
wow........

I never even knew you could get a 9C1 Nova??

vonkamp
11-19-2007, 08:27 PM
Wow...My dad bought the Pontiac version of that in 1976. It was lime green with a white interior and the car learned to drive in a few years later. Ahhh the memories....

gold-n-rod
11-19-2007, 08:40 PM
wow........
I never even knew you could get a 9C1 Nova??

'75 - '79 only. Most went into patrol service. Can't be many left; life on patrol is rough.

Motor Trend wrote of the 9C1 extensively in 1976-77. They encouraged folks to order the civilian models. I was a starving college student at the time, but I coveted one. 30 years later, I finally have one.

Sounds like many a Donzi story!!! :)

Tony
11-19-2007, 09:05 PM
Randy, that car looks sweet...can't wait to catch a ride in it!

:beer:

BUIZILLA
11-19-2007, 09:06 PM
my bro-in-law had a new '77 or '78 9C1 F41 Caprice sedan, black/black....

easy to order back then, great driving car

is yours a 305 or 350?

gold-n-rod
11-19-2007, 09:12 PM
is yours a 305 or 350?

LM1 = 350 ci (factory rated @ 170 horse)
M40 = 350 Turbohydramatic (beefed from factory)

It supposedly was faster than the '77 Vette, but remember, those were bleak years for horsepower in all cars.

LKSD
11-20-2007, 07:45 AM
Nice find, it does look cherry.. Someday I'd like to find an old impala ss without the ghetto packages that many are putting on these days.. I would want it stock.. Oh well someday..

You really dont see to many of the Novas or older gm stuff like you found anymore.. Especially with the police packages.. I always thought it would be nice to have one too when I was a kid.. Its cool to be able to get one of your wants from when you were younger now & then it sort of keeps you feeling good inside.. :)

Good luck with the new ride.. :) Jamie