PDA

View Full Version : Hatch?

drew0982
11-19-2007, 01:41 PM
I'm thinking of cutting the deck of my boat and installing a hatch to gain access to the bow anchor, etc... Anybody know where I could find a nice hatch?

zelatore
11-19-2007, 06:09 PM
Assuming this isn't a troll....:smash:

Lewmar, Bowmar, and Taylor all make hatches that would work. I don't know what size/shape you'd want, but I'd suggest something like Bomar's N1170-10P, it's a low profile anadized aluminum 19" round hatch with a smoked lens and three dogs.

Personally, I don't see it but if you're serious that would look as good as anything I guess. They're not cheap. Retail is close to $500

drew0982
11-19-2007, 10:26 PM
a troll?:confused:

this is kinda what i'm looking for:
http://www.mailspeedmarine.com/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/107078/groupID/13/categoryID/33/v/2d22c32b-2ab0-4a9c-9bf5-140735e62d42

zelatore
11-20-2007, 09:51 AM
Trolling: deliberatly posting something that will incence the members of the board just to get people worked up.

I didn't really think you were trolling; I just suspected most people would have (ahem) strong opinions about cutting a hatch into the fordeck of a classic. Wait a minute - I'm only assuming you have a classic. I don't actually even know what the boat is.

Sorry about that...

The hatch you've linked to is similar to what I mentioned. It's a square Lewmar, while I suggested a round Bowmar. I've used both of them and have no problem with either. Square or Round is just personal taste, although you'll find a lot more options in square.

I'd stay away from the cheaper plastic framed ports and use at least aluminum. If you can find the size you want, stainless steel frames are the strongest and look the nicest, but at a cost.

I'd also be sure to look for a 'lo-profile' unit. Some of the older styles actually stand up an inch or more above the deck, not exactly a smooth, sleek installation.

Installing them is generally pretty easy. They come with interior trim kits usually, to give a finished look. Most of them can be opened from top or bottom. The only thing to be aware of is the crown of the deck - if it's not flat you may have to build a trim ring to square it up since you can't bend the frame if you want it to seal.

http://en.lewmar.com/products/index.aspx?lang=1&page_id=4
Lewmar has recently added a line of flush hatches - looks interesting but would be more complicated to install.

http://www.pompanette.com/pompweb.nsf/a0e2253b23a1a536852567ae003c83a9/585eff1909ef5b77852567af0018a2aa?OpenDocument
Bomar makes a huge assortment of hatches - I'm sure you could find something to fit your needs.

One other thing to consider is the locking or support mechanisim. I installed a set of aluminum Lewmar's to replace the aging plastic hatches on my Carver a few years ago. They have friction brakes to hold them in the open position. It doesn't work well - if I tighten them down enough to stay in open I'm worried about bending the frame. I prefer a seperate arm that can be locked down to hold the hatch in the open position. You might also want to look at the hinge design to see if the hatch you are considering can be opened 180-degrees to lay flat on the deck. Don't know if that's important to you, but I can see that it could be.

While a lot of vendors won't list the full line of these companies on their webistes or in their catalogs, they can usually get them. Places like West Marine can get anything on the line card. I think Bomar may sell direct as well. I can get them as well, and for a member I'd be glad to do it at my cost+shipping, but since I'm in California I don't think I'd be that much help!

drew0982
11-20-2007, 08:58 PM
Trolling: deliberatly posting something that will incence the members of the board just to get people worked up.
I didn't really think you were trolling; I just suspected most people would have (ahem) strong opinions about cutting a hatch into the fordeck of a classic. Wait a minute - I'm only assuming you have a classic. I don't actually even know what the boat is.
Sorry about that...
The hatch you've linked to is similar to what I mentioned. It's a square Lewmar, while I suggested a round Bowmar. I've used both of them and have no problem with either. Square or Round is just personal taste, although you'll find a lot more options in square.
I'd stay away from the cheaper plastic framed ports and use at least aluminum. If you can find the size you want, stainless steel frames are the strongest and look the nicest, but at a cost.
I'd also be sure to look for a 'lo-profile' unit. Some of the older styles actually stand up an inch or more above the deck, not exactly a smooth, sleek installation.
Installing them is generally pretty easy. They come with interior trim kits usually, to give a finished look. Most of them can be opened from top or bottom. The only thing to be aware of is the crown of the deck - if it's not flat you may have to build a trim ring to square it up since you can't bend the frame if you want it to seal.
http://en.lewmar.com/products/index.aspx?lang=1&page_id=4
Lewmar has recently added a line of flush hatches - looks interesting but would be more complicated to install.
http://www.pompanette.com/pompweb.nsf/a0e2253b23a1a536852567ae003c83a9/585eff1909ef5b77852567af0018a2aa?OpenDocument
Bomar makes a huge assortment of hatches - I'm sure you could find something to fit your needs.
One other thing to consider is the locking or support mechanisim. I installed a set of aluminum Lewmar's to replace the aging plastic hatches on my Carver a few years ago. They have friction brakes to hold them in the open position. It doesn't work well - if I tighten them down enough to stay in open I'm worried about bending the frame. I prefer a seperate arm that can be locked down to hold the hatch in the open position. You might also want to look at the hinge design to see if the hatch you are considering can be opened 180-degrees to lay flat on the deck. Don't know if that's important to you, but I can see that it could be.
While a lot of vendors won't list the full line of these companies on their webistes or in their catalogs, they can usually get them. Places like West Marine can get anything on the line card. I think Bomar may sell direct as well. I can get them as well, and for a member I'd be glad to do it at my cost+shipping, but since I'm in California I don't think I'd be that much help!

Hey, thanks for all the info! That's very kind of you :) I have a 20' Cigarette which was never completed. Not sure if it's genuine or not, but if it isn't, it's a DAM GOOD copy :)

I think it would be a good idea for the hatch to be able to do a 180 and also for it to sit flush and be sealed (would hate to have a swell come over the deck... or even rain).

If you can let me know what kind of options I can get through you along with pricing, (if it's not too much trouble of course), that would be great.

Cheers!
Andrew

zelatore
11-21-2007, 11:05 AM
check your PM's...