PDA

View Full Version : Bow Light?

drew0982
11-19-2007, 01:40 PM
I'm in search of some sort of flush mount bow light for my 20' Cig... Not the navigation style lights, but more of a floodlight for night running :)

Sometimes we get carried away and end up staying too late... which by then of course, it's dark getting in. I saw a Scarab at the marina yesterday with actual headlights, but I don't think I need to go that far.

Help!:):popcorn:

zelatore
11-19-2007, 06:18 PM
I think you would find those things are only good for docking. They don't put enough light down-range to help when running at night; in fact, you'd do better with NO light and letting your night vision adapt. As for docking, I'd just as soon use a hand held spot as it's far easier to point where you want (although it does only leave one hand free to drive)

All my new boats have a remote controled spot light on the bow standard, as does my personal cruiser. I've got a hand-held light for the Donzi. I can use the hand held or the bow mounted lights to pick out individual things like a bouy or shoreline, but none of them work as 'headlights' when running. Best to pray for a full moon!

There. I saved you some money. Now go out and spend it on making the boat faster! :propeller:

drew0982
11-19-2007, 10:23 PM
lol... ok. was hoping there was something with a couple mil. candlepower that could've been used... other than the handheld

realbold
11-20-2007, 01:19 PM
To my knowledge its not legal to have any kind of "headlights" on while underway at night, just the required nav lights. Thats why they call them docking lights.

drew0982
11-20-2007, 08:46 PM
ok... will have to check in to that as well! :)