PDA

View Full Version : 20' Cigarette

Conquistador_del_mar
11-19-2007, 11:18 AM
Since a few guys here in this forum have mentioned owning 20' Cigarettes and they are along the lines of Donzis, I thought I would show a couple pictures of one I used to own. I bought this 1975 model in about 1982. It came with the custom Imron paint job, a BB Chevy with TRS drive, and trim tabs. I drove this boat for about 6 seasons before a friend of mine bought it from me. He stores it in my boat storage facility at Lake Texoma here in north Texas. He has since installed a 500HP 502 in it. One afternoon in about 1986, a few younger friends asked me if I would pull them barefoot. I changed props and pulled 8 guys (some without a ski to drop) on 8 ski lines and 5 of them made it up barefoot. I wish I had a video or picture of that day! I enjoyed this Cigarette as much as any other boat I have ever owned. Bill

MR MAGOO
11-19-2007, 12:39 PM
Very cool! I've been in the hunt for a 20 Ciggie project for a few years. They are getting pricey!

Thanks for the pics!

Kurt

Tony
11-19-2007, 12:43 PM
Adequate power is only one factor when pulling multiple barefooters. Another major concern is where to attach the ski lines. Barefooters have about twice the drag of a slalom skier (I just made that up), so to attach several lines to a u-bolt, for instance, is risky at best. There are several horrific examples of hardware pulling out and skewering the skier!

That said...obviously the Cig has top quality construction characteristics and handled the impressive feat without a hitch.
Cool boat and a neat story!

:beer:

drew0982
11-19-2007, 01:34 PM
Looks great!!! Mine is going in for paint this week :hyper::hyper::hyper: I've got a heavy duty jackplate from www.bobsmachineshop.com with a 8" setback and a Yamaha 250hp with a nose cone kit installed :) I'll be sure to post pictures of the progress and the grande finale :)

LKSD
11-20-2007, 07:59 AM
Nice 20.. We are currently restoring one for a client.. Its getting everything from soup to nuts..

It will probably end up with a Merc 525 with an Its set up & sportmanster Xr.. OR A Raylar small block mated to a Konrad Ace set up with the 540 X factor lower..

They are a mean looking raft..
:) Jamie / Lakeside

LKSD
11-20-2007, 08:00 AM
Very cool! I've been in the hunt for a 20 Ciggie project for a few years. They are getting pricey!
Thanks for the pics!
Kurt

Kurt I'll give you a shout if I come across another one..

BigGrizzly
11-20-2007, 08:55 AM
C del-mar, nice stuff, but what do you have now! I wish I had pictures of my old boats, motorcycles and cars, but a fire in my parents house took them away from me.

LKSD
11-20-2007, 09:23 AM
Griz, that is sad to hear.. I was just thinking of what that could remotley be like on sunday.. Our toaster caught on fire & almost got our kitchen in flames.. If I wasnt there to catch it when I did it would have surely caught our house on fire.. It really made ya think of just some of the stuff one could have to go thru in a situation like that.. Thank god we ended up lucky.. It's too bad that you lost your pics & stuff.. I too like to save stuff like that on my toys as well as pics & things of family and freinds.. It is nice to be able to take a trip down memory lane once in a while. I could see where loosing that type of stuff of sentimental value would hurt.. Well at least Im sure you have fond memories of the goodies from tha past.. :) Jamie

BigGrizzly
11-20-2007, 09:36 AM
Jw they were lucky too, no one was hurt. Work men were hot patching the roof of that old 100+ year old house and the rafter got hot ab flamed internally no one could see it until the living room rugs caught fire. It cookie cutter a hole up 3 stories and my old bed room was on the top of the flame. Until I loose my memory I still have them. Good thing when you get old the old memories remain just the short term stuff gets lost. So I dream on about what use to be.

LKSD
11-20-2007, 09:52 AM
Jw they were lucky too, .................................................. .................................................. .................. Until I loose my memory I still have them. Good thing when you get old the old memories remain just the short term stuff gets lost. So I dream on about what use to be.

Good to hear it wasnt a complete disaster....

On a different note....

Whew.. Great now I can tell my wife it isnt selective hearing, Im just getting older... Thats why I remember the good ol stuff, but not to come home & do dishes... lol :D

Jamie

Conquistador_del_mar
11-20-2007, 10:06 AM
I believe the 20' Cigarette was the most heavy duty boat I have ever owned in terms of glass layup. I had lifted the boat off the trailer a few times at my shop using the two lifting rings on the transom and the bow eye lifting eye, so it never crossed my thoughts that the transom eyes would ever pull out. I did have quite a few boats over the years that had weak transom lift rings so I would install SS lifting rings before I would lift them off the trailers. That was back when I restored boats professionally for a living. Yes, pulling those guys barefoot was a fun day - I think it was the third pull when the 5 made it up. Bill

Adequate power is only one factor when pulling multiple barefooters. Another major concern is where to attach the ski lines. Barefooters have about twice the drag of a slalom skier (I just made that up), so to attach several lines to a u-bolt, for instance, is risky at best. There are several horrific examples of hardware pulling out and skewering the skier!
That said...obviously the Cig has top quality construction characteristics and handled the impressive feat without a hitch.
Cool boat and a neat story!
:beer:

Conquistador_del_mar
11-20-2007, 10:20 AM
Jamie,
I am not keeping up with the new drive equipment, so reading your post reminds me of what my girlfriend goes through when I tell her I am going to install a Voodoo cam in my 383 stroker with 1.6 rollers and re-jet the 750 - lol. When you get the boat completed, please post some pictures and tell about the performance. It is hard to get those hulls doing much better than 85MPH safely. Bill

Nice 20.. We are currently restoring one for a client.. Its getting everything from soup to nuts..
It will probably end up with a Merc 525 with an Its set up & sportmanster Xr.. OR A Raylar small block mated to a Konrad Ace set up with the 540 X factor lower..
They are a mean looking raft..

Conquistador_del_mar
11-20-2007, 10:53 AM
It is sad to hear about losing your pictures like that. My little sister lost all her pictures (including all her pictures from a one year trip around the world) when she left her house for a few mintutes in Santa Fe - a spark apparently went over the fireplace screen. In her case the bulk of the pictures were lost to water damage from the firemen's hoses.
Right now, I only have two boats - a Stratos CC fishing boat and a 1985 23' Eliminator Limited Edition Offshore Daytona with a 600HP blower motor hooked to a Bravo drive with a nose cone. I bought the Eliminator from one of my best friends (he played in the first Superbowl for Kansas City), but he got melanoma cancer which took his life about 6 years ago. Even though I almost never take the boat out, I can't seem to sell it. I have taken up restoring cars now - instead of boats, but I still like restoring boats. I have restored quite a few performance boats and about 4 old woodies. I have included some pictures here. I need to update the picture of the Eliminator since I have since painted the entire engine black and gold to keep with the color scheme of the boat. It runs about 95MPH, and I am thinking about upgrading a couple things to break the 100 mark. Bill

C del-mar, nice stuff, but what do you have now! I wish I had pictures of my old boats, motorcycles and cars, but a fire in my parents house took them away from me.