PDA

View Full Version : Bar Codes Systems

Donziweasel
11-19-2007, 08:35 AM
A couple of my clients want to use passes to utilize a contracted shuttle. Too many freeloaders. Basically, I need a hand held barcode reader and be able to issue passes to Condo renter. Upon trying to utilize the ski shuttle, they would have to show their passes and have them read by a bar code scanner. Anyone have any suggestions on manufactures, systems, etc...?

Sweet little 16
11-19-2007, 09:37 AM
check out

http://www.barcodediscount.com/

they have printers and mobile systems

we use them for inventory and have UPC standard stuff

there are some questions

who pays you for the shuttle the rental agency?? is it included in their fee??
do they issue any barcoded pass ski lift pass or card that you could scan??

it would have to be a portable mobile system or you would need to dedicate a vehicle to the shuttle than have to worry about down time and sustitution of a shuttle or equip all your vehicles with it???

I would go low tech and have tokens made( one for each rental agency) like the ones used in kiddy arcades then sell rolls to the rental agency have them purchase them up front and they can include in a welcome pkg for the renter and alocate 2 tokens per person per day or whatever number makes sense and when the agency needs more tokens they buy them that's the jersey way in God we trust all others pay cash or i guess you could bill the agency later

VetteLT193
11-19-2007, 11:32 AM
Printing/creating bar codes is easy. all you need is the right font. Different readers use different bar code fonts.

There are companies that make readers for hand helds (palm pilots) as well, that would be pretty cheap and allow you to cheaply keep track of who's using if you ever wanted to know.

Donziweasel
11-19-2007, 12:50 PM
There are around 400 condos on the program. The shuttle operates from the base of the ski mountain to the condos from 6:30 AM till 11:00 PM. The bill is split among 3 property management companies that rent around 160 properties. Some of the other owners VBRO thier own condos for rent, some simply live in them. The three companies paying for it are tired of everyone using the shuttle for free.

The pass system they have envisioned is similar in size to a credit card. It would be printed by me for each condo and then given to the management company for the season. They then issue the appropriate number of passes to the renters for the week.

When wanting to get on the bus, they show the passes to the driver who will scan them with a handheld scanner. The info then be downloaded into a database.

The pass will accomplish two things, one, stop those who do not pay for the bus from using it, and secondly, it would be nice to track how much individual condos are using them, amount of traffic, etc.... This information would be provided to the management companies.

VetteLT193
11-19-2007, 02:43 PM
You can print on a laserjet, inkjet, or label maker. With that in mind, you'd be best with laserjet unless you plan on laminating them.

As far as creating them, you can create them out of an access Database. That would be cheap, easy, and allow for basic reporting too.

If you get a windows CE based handheld with the appropriate reader you shouldn't have any integration issues. you scan all day, then do a data dump at the end of the day to update the system. The only semi-complicated part is writing something to easily import the data.

BUIZILLA
11-19-2007, 02:50 PM
the handhelds that UPS, DHL and FedEx all use would be a first choice.. people in, people out

there was a ski resort one of my daughter's went to, in VT I think, that used bar coded wristbands for their stay, they entered a turnstyle, waved the band at the scanner, and if it was legit guest then the turnstyle unlocked

Sweet little 16
11-19-2007, 03:17 PM
the ups system is way overkill unless you are looking for upto the minute tracking

try this place
http://www.gatewayticketing.com/products/BusGuideLift.asp

http://www.gatewayticketing.com/pass_ticketing_software-ggl/pass_ticketing_software--ggl.htm

gold-n-rod
11-20-2007, 03:51 PM
A couple of my clients want to use passes to utilize a contracted shuttle. Too many freeloaders.

Skiers are freeloaders? :shocking: Say it isn't so, Joe!!!!

I worked in the ski business about 25 years ago. I never saw a cheaper group of well-to-do folks in my whole life. :smash::smash::smash:

You said you would print up shuttle passes and distribute them to condo owners. Now you have to develop a whole series of policies for "lost" passes. 'Cause of course, skiers will NOT return them. They'll give them to their friends (or sell 'em) or legitimately lose them. Now what??? Sounds like a PITA to me.

The token idea sounds best to me. Lost tokens are a minimal expense. No token.... no ride. Buy another from the front desk. Would you do the same with lost passes? Sounds like a big PITA.

Also, do you really want your clients fighting over who pays what share based on user data?

Donziweasel
11-20-2007, 05:43 PM
Skiers can be very creative when it comes to not paying for anything!

The contract is x amount of dollars paid by the management companies. They pay a portion of the bill based on the number of condos they have for rent. The other 200 condos ride for free. You can see why they might be a little upset at having to pay for everyone else to ride.

MP, Steamboat? Try Jackson Hole! Don is coming around Jan 17 and hopefully will give Jackson a thumbs up.:crossfing:

gold-n-rod
11-20-2007, 06:12 PM
The contract is x amount of dollars paid by the management companies. They pay a portion of the bill based on the number of condos they have for rent. The other 200 condos ride for free. You can see why they might be a little upset at having to pay for everyone else to ride.

The problem I understand.

Your proposed solution I do not.

Keep it simple!