PDA

View Full Version : Car stereo guys?

Tony
11-18-2007, 10:21 PM
I'm looking to add an external auxiliary port in my '05 Grand Prix for connecting an iPod. Sounds simple...right?
Well, as usual, things get complicated real quick!

The Circuit City and Best Buy guys want to use an FM modulator method...way better, they say, than the wireless type that works like crap. They describe a device connecting between the current antenna line and the radio, and using a dedicated FM station. But, no charging capability, and control is thru the iPod.

Then I find this product (Option), which is exactly what I want, but am unsure if I can do this myself. I'm assuming the radio pulls out from the front, because as I peer behind the radio I don't see much room to operate!

The car has the Monsoon stereo upgrade, with a 6-disc changer, as well as XM and OnStar features. Here's my questions:

1) Will the product do all it says it will? It is described pretty thoroughly, complete with installation and operation directions, but the big box store installers are leery about aftermarket products such as these.

2) How hard is it to pull the head unit out of the dash? I imagine that, once the "secret" is known, it may be easier than it looks. But...I'd sure hate to fock it up by biting off more than I can chew!

Thanks for any suggestions or advice!

:beer:

Ranman
11-19-2007, 10:41 AM
Tony,

Your link seems corrupt. Are you talking about using a PIE Adapter from www.pie.net? If so, this is the way to go. If not, look into a PIE adapter. The FM modulator route works, but you only get FM quality sound. The PIE adapters will give you CD quality sound. I don't know anything about an 05 Grand Prix, but it should not be that difficult to remove the factory head unit to install the PIE adapter in line. Check Crutchfield.com for instructions on removing your Head Unit or searech for a Grand Prix forum of some kind.

Feel free to call me to chat if you like 248-830-2390.

Randy

Tony
11-19-2007, 11:02 AM
Good catch on the link, Randy, I'll try to fix it tonight.
Yes, the PIE products looks to be the best choice, although kind of pricey at about $180. Do most of the factory stereo units pull out from the front of the dash? I'll do some additional research and try to find an explanation of this process. What I worry about is the need for some special tool, or trick, where the intention is to prevent people from working on their own things!

Thanks for the offer to chat, I may be calling you soon!

:beer:

VetteLT193
11-19-2007, 11:27 AM
I just found this: http://www.carstereoremoval.com/htm/stereoremovalPontiacGrandPrix04_06P.htm

It's probably worth the $5. I've never used the site before, just googled and found it.

Tony
11-19-2007, 12:34 PM
Thanks...I just ordered the "removal guide" for my car. Once I look it over I will likely order the interface and tackle the job.

It seems like with today's technology an external auxiliary jack for iPods, MP3 players, navigational equipment, and etc. would be a standard thing on new cars. I wonder how many have it?

Ranman
11-19-2007, 12:51 PM
Thanks...I just ordered the "removal guide" for my car. Once I look it over I will likely order the interface and tackle the job.
It seems like with today's technology an external auxiliary jack for iPods, MP3 players, navigational equipment, and etc. would be a standard thing on new cars. I wonder how many have it?

My 07 F-150 now has a factory iPod jack. I also LOVE the fact that the in dash 6-disc player reads mp3's.

I think you're on the right track Tony with the PIE adapter and removal guide. i have no doubt that you'll be able to do this job on your own.