PDA

View Full Version : 1973 Donzi GT-21

Conquistador_del_mar
11-15-2007, 12:01 PM
Here is a 1973 GT-21' which I restored in about 1989. I found a company in Hollywood, Florida that still had the upholstery patterns so I replaced the red with white upholstery with yellow racing stripes. If I can find a picture after restoration, I will post it. I heard later that this boat sank in Florida after hitting something, but that they salvaged it. I also restored a blue GT-21 from about the same era, but I have not run across any pictures of it yet. Thought I would post a few pictures of some of the Donzis I have owned and restored. Bill

rr1048
11-15-2007, 02:40 PM
Great photo of a 21 GT. I always wanted one of these boats and almost purchased one in GA before I got a 20' Cigarette from NY. The cockpit layout of rear seat and side panels are almost the same as on the 20' Cigarette.

The 21GT was a classy ride! I remember when the Chisholm's had a twin powered 21 GT that they used to go back and forth from their home in Ft. Lauderdale off of Las Olas to the Donzi plant at NE 188th Street in North Miami, “Thunderboat Row”. We would see them all over town in new Donzi's.

As a kid, I made countless trips to the Donzi plant and would pester the Chisholm's and Roy Farmer. It was a kids dream and would made a kid drool!

Thanks for bring back old memories.

Conquistador_del_mar
11-15-2007, 06:29 PM
You're welcome for the pictures - I hope to find more of them. It just takes me a while to scan and post them from old photographs. I also had a 20' Cigarette which was custom painted. I got quite a bit of great use out of it in the mid 80s before selling it to a friend who stores it at my boat storage business here at Lake Texoma. I really liked going to NE 188th Street, too!! Bill

Great photo of a 21 GT. I always wanted one of these boats and almost purchased one in GA before I got a 20' Cigarette from NY. The cockpit layout of rear seat and side panels are almost the same as on the 20' Cigarette.
The 21GT was a classy ride! I remember when the Chisholm's had a twin powered 21 GT that they used to go back and forth from their home in Ft. Lauderdale off of Las Olas to the Donzi plant at NE 188th Street in North Miami, “Thunderboat Row”. We would see them all over town in new Donzi's.
As a kid, I made countless trips to the Donzi plant and would pester the Chisholm's and Roy Farmer. It was a kids dream and would made a kid drool!
Thanks for bring back old memories.

rr1048
11-15-2007, 09:07 PM
I had a few friends that ran Donzi's and fast boats around the lakes in Texas back in the 70's & 80's. They lived in the Dallas area and boated Travis,Texoma,Grapevine and in Tyler, Tx, Hideaway lake. I probably have a few photos of their boats. Donzi x18, Corsican, Criteron, 18 2+3, Glastron Carlson with 100Merc, Jet Boats and others. I will post when I get my hands back on the photos as they are in GA and I currently line in CA. Plan on moving back east when I sell my house. I miss the toys!

olredalert
11-19-2007, 11:25 PM
-------Bill,,,Im pretty sure there couldnt have been two GT21s that color combo, so I think it must be the one that was built for one of John Cs best friends. Cant remember his name right now. It was originally powered by the hottest Merc racing 427 you could get at the time and a no.3 Speedmaster. The thing was good for around 80 and at the time was the fastest 21 built. Another reason it pretty much has to be that boat is the optional vent windows. Very few people knew you could order them. Whats funny is that the baby blue GT21 twin mentioned was Johns friends first GT21, but it wasnt fast enough!!!.........Bill S

gcarter
11-20-2007, 06:29 AM
Wasn't the twin for sale on this site about three years ago? For about 19K ???
Seems like the owner had trouble selling it. I'm sure someone could find the ad if they were to look.

Conquistador_del_mar
11-20-2007, 11:12 AM
Bill,
I once saw a Donzi GT-21 powered like you describe, but it was painted black. It showed up here at Texoma in around 1985 and was owned by the largest marina owner's son. The yellow one I had was powered by a BB Chevy and TRS drive making it around a 55MPH boat. The one I had did have the vent windows by the way. It was originally owned by a friend of mine in Richardson, TX who bought it in about 1973. The more I think about it, I believe the yellow one was actually a 1972 model. Bill

-------Bill,,,Im pretty sure there couldnt have been two GT21s that color combo, so I think it must be the one that was built for one of John Cs best friends. Cant remember his name right now. It was originally powered by the hottest Merc racing 427 you could get at the time and a no.3 Speedmaster. The thing was good for around 80 and at the time was the fastest 21 built. Another reason it pretty much has to be that boat is the optional vent windows. Very few people knew you could order them. Whats funny is that the baby blue GT21 twin mentioned was Johns friends first GT21, but it wasnt fast enough!!!.........Bill S

olredalert
11-20-2007, 10:28 PM
--------Bill,,,Around that time frame I moved and wasnt around the factory near as much so dont know how long he had the yellow/red boat. He didnt keep any boat for long, it seemed. I would be willing to bet that the speedmaster/427 combo was yanked at some point due to its value at the time. John C was always doing something for that friend as they were close buds. Maybe they needed to get the price down into a reasonable area for him to sell it. I even remember the red sripe around the deck edge. John C liked that stripe design and talked me into a blue one around the deck of my grey GT21. Looked great. Mine was a 72 and powered with a mild 427 Merc and standard no.3. As I recall it was good for a bit more than 55, nearer 60 at about 46/4700rpm. That boat was bullet proof........Bill S

Lenny
11-21-2007, 12:39 AM
I LOVE hearing your stories and recollections again Bill... :)
Thanx ;) Lenny

olredalert
11-21-2007, 07:23 AM
------No prob,,,Lenmeister!!!!,,,,,Tell me when Im rattling on though, will ya???........Bill S

Conquistador_del_mar
11-21-2007, 09:21 AM
Yep, those drive systems were bullet proof. About the only negative was that they ate quite a few ponies to operate. When I got the boat, it was still running perfectly, but I wanted to see better top end speeds so I had a friend build the engine up to around 425HP. I still remember him calling me to tell me that I probably didn't know it was an opposite rotation engine - I didn't. I guess Donzi would install both rotation engines back then. Bill

--------Bill,,,Around that time frame I moved and wasnt around the factory near as much so dont know how long he had the yellow/red boat. He didnt keep any boat for long, it seemed. I would be willing to bet that the speedmaster/427 combo was yanked at some point due to its value at the time. John C was always doing something for that friend as they were close buds. Maybe they needed to get the price down into a reasonable area for him to sell it. I even remember the red sripe around the deck edge. John C liked that stripe design and talked me into a blue one around the deck of my grey GT21. Looked great. Mine was a 72 and powered with a mild 427 Merc and standard no.3. As I recall it was good for a bit more than 55, nearer 60 at about 46/4700rpm. That boat was bullet proof........Bill S