PDA

View Full Version : SMALL life jacket source????

2biguns
12-31-2003, 10:16 PM
Seeing as how Stella is now a whopping 13 pounds, Amy and I have reached the decision that by April or so, she will be amply large to begin taking ventures with us in the boat.

Where do we need to go to find her a proper PFD and does anyone have any suggestions on how to take her out in the boat? Should we run cables to hook her car seat to the back seat or put anchors in the cuddy and let her sit up front?

Since she has already logged many hours in the boat INSIDE of Amy, how do we best get her ready for her first ventures in the outside world?

http://www.donzi.net/photos/hoho1.jpg

rickrsbro
12-31-2003, 11:30 PM
we got a freebie from a friend that owns a white water rafting co. that type off outfitter might be a good place to start looking. get a quality vest with a crotch strap and a collar.(that will keep the rubber neck action from happening in rough water.)

check your local regulations. i don't think a car seat is allowed.

boxy
01-01-2004, 10:46 AM
We found that the smallest SeaDoo vest fit our girls the best, as far as the where to ride while in the boat, in Amy's arms is the safest place for her to be.
Boxy, Lou, Hannah (4), and Alicia (2)

mikev
01-02-2004, 09:30 AM
we found a little one at walmart when our daughter was little for about 20.00 it was the smallest one we could find anywere. trust me we went everywere looking. just be sure to get one that has a crotch strap and the big floating collar to keep her face up and head supported if she falls in.

2biguns
01-02-2004, 09:47 AM
Thanks all. Since Christmas is over I guess I can once again venture into Wallyworld and check out the vests & diapers.

Until reading your tips, I had never considered the dangers of a car seat in a boat. We'll be holding her snugly in lieu of strapping her in.

3 months to launch!

McGary911
01-02-2004, 10:42 AM
Steve,
Here's one from Mustang Suvival that looks like it will do the trick. Infant Vest (http://www.mustangsurvival.com/catalog/SingleProduct.asp?ProductID=26) .
Mustang makes the vests worn by the coast guard and they seem to be very good quality. I have a few of their Searider vests, and am very happy with them. The cheapest I've seen Mustang stuff has been to C-me marine. Here's a link to the infant jacket LINK. (http://www.c-mesales.com/en-us/p_245.html) They have it listed for $42.95. Hope baby likes the Dozi as much as mom and dad. Good luck.

boldts
01-02-2004, 11:36 AM
Steve, When our Allison was an infant, we put her in a life vest and then used the car seat to keep her secure. We had a 18 Classic at the time and we could put her up under the dash in the ski storage area. Probably not the best way, but we feared that if we held her, if Beth were to be propelled into the dash, Allison could be injured much the way it could happen in a car if the child seat is placed in the front seat.

I guess we hoped that the life vest and the car seat would float if the unforseen were to happen. You have a Z-29 if I remember right which is quite a different story than a Classic. My only caution would be Amy holding Stella while standing in the passenger bolster where if she lost her footing, the same result that Beth and I feared could happen. Most of the time when Allison was with us, it was a week night after work and a nice slow easy cruise to a local dinner spot on the lake. Most of the time, Allison would go to sleep from the rumble of the thru-hull. We were just happy to be on the lake.

I can't remember which vest we bought, but I belive it was from one of the major water-ski companies and included both the crouch strap and 4 chest straps. I'm happy to say that after a year of not liking the thru-hull at 4 years old, Allison loves the sound, speed and thrill of our Donzi! Now, it's "Let's go faster Daddy" Mom on the other hand hasn't bought into this theory quite as lovingly as Allison. :)

roadtrip se
01-02-2004, 04:24 PM
We gave the Mustang infant vest to our new nephew, Barrett, for Christmas. Rated to 70mph, the collar keeps the head above water, and really nice quality.

oldLenny
01-02-2004, 04:36 PM
I have used the ones in the link by McGary911 as well with our two girls. No complaints and the neck support is good. Also, the grab handle is a nice touch on the support. They stay on snuggly and have the underneath strap as well. I didn't know about the 70 mph thing. No complaints and the price is cheap.

2biguns
01-03-2004, 08:59 AM
Thanks, everyone. I just ordered the Mustang vest. The 0 to 30 pound size will be perfect as at 6 weeks, Stella is already pushing 14 pounds.

Scott: I think that the rumble of the engines is already deeply ingrained in Stella's memory as Amy and I were in the boat throughout her pregnancy. In the last 6 weeks or so Amy preferred to sit in the back seat so she could spread out. Amy said she could feel Stella settle down once we took off.

I have already learned that if she gets fussy, all I have to do is take Stella for a ride in my truck. As soon as I crank the diesel, she's in la la land.

Again to everyone, thanks so much for the tips. We'll post photos when Stella gets nautical :cool: