PDA

View Full Version : Gelcoat color question???

Tidbart
11-14-2007, 01:06 PM
Ok Boys,

I have a bit of a quandary. I am looking for the correct color gelcoat for my 1997 22 Classic. I am referring to the white on the classics.
I got in touch Mini-craft to make an order and they told me that Donzi had lost the paint codes for the earlier boats. Anyways, Donzi gave me the name of Dick Weaver in Maine, no answer and machine full. I also have a call in to Ted to see if he can help, but in the meantime....
There are two different whites that were used in 1997 per Mini Craft, "Porcelain" and "96 White". I am trying to find out which one my boat would have. I am trying to match the color.
Anyone know the answer??????:confused:

I attached a close up of the color and the overall picture of the boat.

Thanks, Bob

gcarter
11-14-2007, 01:27 PM
Well Bob, they're not so horribly expensive you couldn't buy one of each???????

Tidbart
11-14-2007, 01:35 PM
True George,

But you know I am as anal as the next engineer. :tongue::wink:

That is an option, I figured I would give this a try and see what happens.

B

VetteLT193
11-14-2007, 02:11 PM
my only thought is if Mini-craft knows if they switched during the model year, and which one was first, you might be able to figure it out based on your hull number.

Tidbart
11-14-2007, 02:28 PM
Vette,

They are the dark as much as I am.

VetteLT193
11-14-2007, 02:46 PM
Vette,
They are the dark as much as I am.

That stinks... Can they at least explain the color, or email you a color chart? "Porcelain" sounds more off white than white, and there is no doubt your boat is bright white.

Tidbart
11-14-2007, 02:55 PM
I did ask about the color charts. They don't maintain one other than their generic one.

So they can't say whether porcelain is light or dark or anything else compared to the other white.

I just got off the phone with Ted at Donzi, they don't have the old records as Minicraft stated.

I'll keep thinking about it and my options.

Bob

Donzigo
11-14-2007, 05:08 PM
Bob, Gelcoat changes color; so, it has to be aged by a good techician. I have one here, if you need one.

Glas Pro
727-381-4321
Charles Wilson

Tidbart
11-14-2007, 05:36 PM
Hey Richard,

I originally thought this would be a fairly simple question with a fairly simple answer. Boy was I wrong.
Anyways, this is not really a very big job and not worth spending a lot of time and money on.
So here is what I decided to do. I took a shot on the '96 white'. I have a 50-50 shot of getting the right one. If its wrong, I'll get the other one.
Either way, the gel has more than likely faded somewhat over time, but the patches will be so small that I think I can make them match close enough and not have them obvious.

If by chance they come out really terrible, I will then seek professional help. Help on the gel that is.:wink:

I think it will be OK. I look at it this way. Its a ten year old boat that is not perfect and there are enough other imperfections to distract the eye. LOL

Once I get her running and looking to my satisfaction, I'll have to lug her over to St Pete for a visit. :yes:

Hope all is well with you.

Bob

Lenny
11-14-2007, 09:14 PM
Bob, Gelcoat changes color; so, it has to be aged by a good techician. I have one here, if you need one.
Glas Pro
727-381-4321
Charles Wilson

Bingo, it also is a different colour from batch to batch when catalyzed, and has a different tone due to the amount of catalst and the temp it went off at and the cure (kick) rate.

Cevert
11-15-2007, 07:41 AM
Why don't you just haul your boat the 55 miles to Minicraft and have them match it?

This is why I have CCP color match gelcoat to an automotive color whenever I build a boat.Problem solved.

Donzigo
11-15-2007, 10:26 AM
Bob,

You've got a room if you need one. I'll be running Big-D every day during the Thanksgiving holidays. How's about coming over with or without your boat and let's go make waves.

Lenny,

You're right on the money. Any gelcoat will be different, on any given day, due to the weather, humidity, or age of the elements mixed.

Covert,

See above. Taking the boat to Minicraft doesn't solve the problem.

Charles Wilson is one of the best fibergalss technicians and is known all over St. Pete as being one of the best. (there are others, of course) He has taken care of my boats for over 25 years. The lighter colored gelcoats are hard to age properly. They will be perfect when he finishs, then as they age sometimes they just slightly discolor. That's why it's an art and not a science.

Tidbart
11-15-2007, 11:06 AM
Hey Richard
I'll have to let you know. I am winging it next week. Just got back from Dubai and I'm still catching up on home work and boat work, trying to get back on schedule. The new boat did add quite a bit of new work. LOL
B

gcarter
11-15-2007, 04:10 PM
Bob, I have a box in the shop w/your name on it.......
see ya Saturday.