PDA

View Full Version : Frightning Winterization Surprise

3rdDonzi
11-13-2007, 07:35 PM
Draining my block today (18' Classic 350 Mag. Alpha) It appears that I had oil in my water (mostly on port side) but no water in my oil. Whats with that??
Checking the dipstick, the oil is very clean and quantity is right on the money. Many years ago I had an X-18 with water in the oil from a blown head gasket so I'll never forget the look of milky oil.
Seperately after reaching under for the drain plug (port side) I noticed oil on my sleeve and fingers that seems to have come from under the exh. manifold or possibly the remote oil filter area. There was no oil in bilge before draining the block. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks

MOP
11-13-2007, 08:03 PM
Before you get to upset, how much and what "COLOR"??

OK! EDIT!!! I read it better, milky not good, but one bank is odd. Needless to say you need to tear into it, ther is no pressurized oil coming from the block just up through the push rods. A manifold gasket would dump into the crank case, this may be a bit interesting!

Phil

MOP
11-13-2007, 08:10 PM
More thoughts! Oil float on water and the block water circulates so how the hell is oil only in one side! Real weird!!!

3rdDonzi
11-13-2007, 08:32 PM
Actually the water was not milky when it drained, I was referring to my x-18 many years ago. As it collected in the bilge there was a considerable amount of oil in it but definately separated.

I'm wondering if a leak somewhere else could have somehow integrated the oil with the water.

I'm a bit stuck, with the drought down this way I can't get the boat off of the lift!!

mphatc
11-13-2007, 08:44 PM
this sounds more like an oil leak and the drained water is collecting within the oil in the bilge, causing it to float on the water . . .

My guess, you have no engine mechanical problem, but possibly an oil cooler line or oil filter line problem. IRC the oil filter is located high on the port forward side of the Mag 350 . . . and the cooler is below the exhaust on the port side.

I suggest installing the block plugs again, and getting cooling water with muffs to it and running it . . check for oil leaks . .

I have a Ford . . it has it's own issues :wink:

Mario L.

MOP
11-13-2007, 08:48 PM
Regular color definitely not water system related, you would be amazed what hides in our tiny bilges!!! A table spoon of oil on water looks like a whole bunch but is what it is!!!

Phil

3rdDonzi
11-13-2007, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the responses. Guess I've got some "sploring" to do.

Ranman
11-13-2007, 10:21 PM
OK! EDIT!!! I read it better,

Anyone else catch the humor in this?

Ranman
11-13-2007, 10:23 PM
Seperately after reaching under for the drain plug (port side) I noticed oil on my sleeve and fingers that seems to have come from under the exh. manifold or possibly the remote oil filter area. There was no oil in bilge before draining the block. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks

Is it possible that this coupld have come from the runoff of a previous oil change? I've seen some pretty sloppy oil changes especially with the upside down filters.

MOP
11-14-2007, 06:08 AM
Anyone else catch the humor in this?

Ya got me can't read and watch Dancing with the Stars!!! Comes with the turf!

VetteLT193
11-14-2007, 07:28 AM
Since you said "mostly" on the port side it could be anything. Have you changed the drive oil lately? a leaky drive gasket could inject oil from the drive into the system. That's the first place it could happen but there are plenty more. If the drive is at fault, the oil will come out milky.

faverod
11-14-2007, 03:26 PM
Last spring when I started and tested my 454 I found a light spray of oil and oil in the water of the bilge. On closer inspection I found that one of my remote oil filter lines has sprung a leak right where the hard line joins the hose. I wasn't loosing alot of oil but it took awhile to track down. since the mist was so fine. I ended up with the oil on the sleeve as well as I was feeling around which lead me to the oil line. Hope that helps.

3rdDonzi
11-14-2007, 08:20 PM
After a lot of thought I'm wondering if there is any way that my lift could be contributing to my problem.
I have an old style Hydro-Hoist that lifts the bow first followed by the stern resulting in a rather extreme nose high attitude of the boat both launching and recovering to the point that the through hull exhaust is submerged temporarily. When exhaust is submerged engine is WAY above water level. Crossed my mind before but checked the oil often and never have and still dont have water in the oil. Had an inboard ski boat on the lift for the last 18 years with no problem.
Thanks to all who have responded
Corky

needadonzi
11-14-2007, 08:54 PM
Sounds like a very serious problem. I highly recommend that you pull the motor and replace it with an all aluminum, Bill Mitchell 454 small block. Cut weight, add power.

BigGrizzly
11-15-2007, 09:47 AM
I had the same Hydro-hoyst lift until last year when I got a new dock. I did not have any problems at all.