PDA

View Full Version : ZX Info

rtgogo
11-11-2007, 07:59 PM
I need some advice onthe ZX setups for later 90 models to early 00 models.
Looking at entry level 22's and need some more info regarding differences (pro's and cons) in the late 90 models say 97-98 vz newer 2001-2002 models.

Found a few in real good shape, but only have the 350 and wondering what your thoughts are. I've not personally looked at anything with less than the 454, but the one's with the smaller setup seem to be very well taken care of and with low hours so that seems to be a plus...BUT...

Also need your experience with the late 90 models vs newer vesions with the step hull. I enjoy cars and Harley's, but want to break into the Donzi experieince. Not sure what diference the hull setup makes to a novice.

ANY and ALL advise or items I should consider in my search are very much appreciated...just tryin to join up....

while your at it, any comments regarding the 26 vs 22 are also appreciated. (just in case i win the big one..)

THANKS!

MOP
11-11-2007, 09:29 PM
I need some advice onthe ZX setups for later 90 models to early 00 models.
Looking at entry level 22's and need some more info regarding differences (pro's and cons) in the late 90 models say 97-98 vz newer 2001-2002 models.
Found a few in real good shape, but only have the 350 and wondering what your thoughts are. I've not personally looked at anything with less than the 454, but the one's with the smaller setup seem to be very well taken care of and with low hours so that seems to be a plus...BUT...
Also need your experience with the late 90 models vs newer vesions with the step hull. I enjoy cars and Harley's, but want to break into the Donzi experieince. Not sure what diference the hull setup makes to a novice.
ANY and ALL advise or items I should consider in my search are very much appreciated...just tryin to join up....
while your at it, any comments regarding the 26 vs 22 are also appreciated. (just in case i win the big one..)
THANKS!

Check the for sale section there is a very nice one in your neck of the woods!

Phil

Sweet little 16
11-12-2007, 08:37 AM
some things to look for in a 22zx or 26 zx

first is the seating arangement the 22 zx has sit down capt chairs some become wobbly, the 26zx has drop out bolsters

both have had fairing issues on certain model years with stress cracks not structural but cosmetic

the 22zx was made in stepped and non stepped hulls not sure of the year of the change a non stepped boat will be a little slower but will be more stable when turning at planing speeds the step hull will be faster but comes with step hull learning curve

not sure that matters in your case has you are learning the high performance boat thing from the begining away and will need alot of seat time

they shyed away from BB power in the 22 zx as an entry level boat some people got into trouble with them

i would imagine a smaller classic would be more entry level but still demands respect and seat time as both of these boats or not you average runabout

rtgogo
11-12-2007, 10:48 AM
I rode in a 16 and 18 classic this past summer and loved em both, just too small for what I need. The deeper hull and sunpad on the ZX make the boss view it more as a runabout. :crossfing:

The Hedgehog
11-12-2007, 11:38 AM
I have driven them all. The 22ZX, 26ZX, 27ZX (step and non-step) and can fully explain the difference if you would like to talk.

I have a 27ZX non-step for sale not too far from you and would be happy to take you for a demo ride.

Here is my take:

The 22ZX is a nice sharp smaller boat. I agree with your comment about the big block. Either that or blower. It is a nice day cruiser and the cabin is nice for storage but little else. The step makes it faster but it will spin out if you don't pay attention. This stops short of the presence and look of the 26 and up boats. It does not have the stand up bolsters, racing throttle, k-planes and big cabin.

The 26ZX is a nice good looking single engine boat. I own one. It takes some good power to make it go. I am planning to put some huge power in mine. I wanted to try something different and boat storage space is somewhat an issue for me.

The 27ZX is only a foot and a half longer than the 26ZX. This later became the 28ZX and is exactly the same length as the 28. It carries a much bigger presence than the 26ZX. I think it looks longer and sleeker. It responds great to big power. Pump it up modestly and you can easily see mid 70's with a rock steady ride. If you want to see 90's stay with the smaller 26. The step hull version is faster but sacrifices wide quality. If you look around these can by bought for the same price range as 22's. When you pull up in these boats people say "here comes somebody in one of those Cigarette Boats."

I will admit that I am biased to the larger boats and do disclose that I have one for sale. None the less I will be happy to talk objectively to you if you like. PM me and I will give you my number. I will be happy to take you for a ride and show you the differences. They are all great choices for different reasons. I love to ride around and talk boats and take no offense if you are only wanting to talk. The important thing is that you are looking at a Donzi!

22billyzx
11-12-2007, 05:25 PM
I own a 99 22ZX,this being my first performance boat. It has some nice features,sone not so nice. It came with only two cleats on the the stern,and one on the bow,so i added one on each side just aft of the cabin. A great addition. I wish it had the bolster seats,but not a huge issue. For some reason,it takes forever to fuel this boat,and i believe i`m not the only one with this issue. It seems like there is a kink in the filler hose,which restricts the flow. Very aggrevating on a hot day! Mine has the 454 EFI,and i believe is the same HP as the 350 (300hp) It is equipped with a 24 4 blade Bravo prop,and trim tabs,which i have to use to get a decent holeshot. Trim tab indicators would also be nice. The fuel consumption is great if you keep your foot out of it on long cruises. They no longer make the 22,so i feel it was a good investment. On a scale of 1-10 i rate it an 8!

22billyzx
11-12-2007, 05:29 PM
I own a 99 22ZX,this being my first performance boat. It has some nice features,sone not so nice. It came with only two cleats on the the stern,and one on the bow,so i added one on each side just aft of the cabin. A great addition. I wish it had the bolster seats,but not a huge issue. For some reason,it takes forever to fuel this boat,and i believe i`m not the only one with this issue. It seems like there is a kink in the filler hose,which restricts the flow. Very aggrevating on a hot day! Mine has the 454 EFI,and i believe is the same HP as the 350 (300hp) It is equipped with a 24 4 blade Bravo prop,and trim tabs,which i have to use to get a decent holeshot. Trim tab indicators would also be nice. The fuel consumption is great if you keep your foot out of it on long cruises. They no longer make the 22,so i feel it was a good investment. It runs 62 mph @ 4800 wot with this prop and handles great.

rtgogo
11-12-2007, 06:24 PM
So with the 350 and 454 at the same HP I wonder how much difference it would make in the performance? I just can't imagine buyin a powerboat without a big block...

Thanks for the insights on the seat considerations and hull setups...if I deciphered correctly, sounds like the old non-step hull would be more manageable if I'm not out to break speed records.

Excluding the cuddie, is there much difference in interior space between the 22 and 26? 22 looks tight between the seats and rear bench.

The Hedgehog
11-13-2007, 08:28 AM
The small block does need to be wound tighter to get that Hp. The big block does not have to work very hard. If you get the Mag with forged internals, you can really turn up the heat to generate some pretty stout hp numbers. The Mag is a good candidate if you want to install a Procharger later. I am having my Prpocharged 502 Mag torn down right now. It is in pretty good shape after two hard summers of fun. The only thing I would have done differently is use a thermostat on the oil cooler.:eek!:

I have a 383 mag in my X-18 and am very happy with the package. I think that with all of the room of the ZX', a big block is the way to go.

The 22ZX has a decent sized cockpit for a 22 footer. I did not feel exposed when driving one. The 27ZX on the other hand has room that you can stand in while driving.

smokediver
11-13-2007, 04:35 PM
hey big green ... my friend here in naples has a stepped hull 27zx and has taken out the hp500 and is dropping in a 540 blower motor that he had in another boat ... was wondering if you are running a shorty on your boat ..

BigGrizzly
11-13-2007, 04:46 PM
My son's ios in the for sale section it is a 454 with a wipple on it runs 80's he likes it and it is a good looking unit. He is looking at a 30 ish unit.

rtgogo
11-13-2007, 09:27 PM
My thread got turned into advertisement for the classifieds.....:boggled:
Any other good details on the ZX to consider?
Help...please...thanks...

BigGrizzly
11-14-2007, 09:48 AM
I didn't mean to be an advertisement, just saying he likes it and it runs well. For me I like Classics better. But that is why they make more than one kind one for you and one for me.

The Hedgehog
11-14-2007, 12:24 PM
hey big green ... my friend here in naples has a stepped hull 27zx and has taken out the hp500 and is dropping in a 540 blower motor that he had in another boat ... was wondering if you are running a shorty on your boat ..

We tried the shorty on the non-step ZX. It did not like it. I think that with spacers, prop testing and time that a combo could be derived that works. I would love to see someone pull it off. We also tried it in the winter and I could not get the boat out of cold start mode so I was way down in power.

Hopefully Tex will chime in. He is running a 27ZX step hull with approximately 750 hp. His boat loves the shorty. He saw 85.9 yesterday. The first step 27's had a very conservative X dim.

Your friend will have a blast. The big single ZX's like big power. The key is having enough smash to get you quickly through the transitional phase if you are running a step hull with a pad. The step 27 runs well to around 75. From 75 to 80 it gets out of shape until it gets on the pad. For that reason some of the eariler 27ZX's got a bad rap. They only had enough power to make high 70's and that is the worst speed for that hull. At 80+ it climbs up on the pad and runs smooth. That is also the speed you see real gains from the IMCO lower and shorter unit. If your friends blown 540 makes some good power it will work out well. I would love to see someone throw 850 hp at that hull. I could see Tex doing it but he still has a way to go until he needs to freshen his engine.

Your friend is on to something that I am surprised more don't do. Tex was a pioneer in this field. I think that the big single engine ZX's are the way to go. They are a great deal, good looking boat and will run in some nasty water. I have compared them to a number of others (Fountain, Velocity, Baja etc) and that is where I keep coming back.

One thing I would like to know is if anyone has used a shorty on a 22ZX and how it worked out.

Last Real Texan
11-14-2007, 02:58 PM
We tried the shorty on the non-step ZX. It did not like it. I think that with spacers, prop testing and time that a combo could be derived that works. I would love to see someone pull it off. We also tried it in the winter and I could not get the boat out of cold start mode so I was way down in power.
Hopefully Tex will chime in. He is running a 27ZX step hull with approximately 750 hp. His boat loves the shorty. He saw 85.9 yesterday. The first step 27's had a very conservative X dim.
Your friend will have a blast. The big single ZX's like big power. The key is having enough smash to get you quickly through the transitional phase if you are running a step hull with a pad. The step 27 runs well to around 75. From 75 to 80 it gets out of shape until it gets on the pad. For that reason some of the eariler 27ZX's got a bad rap. They only had enough power to make high 70's and that is the worst speed for that hull. At 80+ it climbs up on the pad and runs smooth. That is also the speed you see real gains from the IMCO lower and shorter unit. If your friends blown 540 makes some good power it will work out well. I would love to see someone throw 850 hp at that hull. I could see Tex doing it but he still has a way to go until he needs to freshen his engine.
Your friend is on to something that I am surprised more don't do. Tex was a pioneer in this field. I think that the big single engine ZX's are the way to go. They are a great deal, good looking boat and will run in some nasty water. I have compared them to a number of others (Fountain, Velocity, Baja etc) and that is where I keep coming back.
One thing I would like to know is if anyone has used a shorty on a 22ZX and how it worked out.
Smokediver
Bill Is correct on all points above{ Big Green ZX } and the boat does respond well to big power. Yesterday I was out putting the boat through it's paces getting ready to lay it up for a couple of months through the winter and had an ideal day on the water, temps in the low 60's and perfect 6-12 inch wind blown chop. Spun the motor to 5400 and let is sing. I have a 500 EFI in it with a M-3 Procharger making about 750 HP. Bill is right I only have 140 hours on the clock and of that only 20 are since the blower was installed. I am figuring the end of next season I will tear the motor down and stroke it to a 540 and dial up the boost to get about 850 Hp out of it. As for the shorty , I am running a -2 Imco lower and the boayt responded well to it. Befor I was about 7.5 below the keel on the prop centerline measurement and now am appx 5.5 below. Boat handles better now and at times under a full load of people and fuel I have to slowly bring the boat on plane as I can blow the prop out at will under these circumstance. Would I do it again? the shorty? YES! I am also toying with the idea of a stand off box for the drive to bring it back further on the transom to see what it will do. On a side note is your friends boat the emerald green ZX that was for sale for a while down there in Naples at Tarpon Cove Marina about 2 years ago. I almolst bought it but never could get the seller......boat was listed with a broker. Good luck on the project and give a a shout if you want to talk....
Bryan