PDA

View Full Version : Origin of the name Donzi

needadonzi
11-09-2007, 05:04 PM
I found this great Donzi video on You Tube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG9SxAKjsP4 I always wondered how the name Donzi came about.

Sweet little 16
11-09-2007, 05:10 PM
don't believe everything you see, and that video stretches editorial license to say the least well a bright spot was they didn't call it an Italian boat :boggled:

do a search here on how the name really started

rtgogo
11-09-2007, 05:32 PM
Good clip...factual or not...still promotes the right boat!

BigGrizzly
11-10-2007, 10:44 AM
I will only make one comment--Not True

DudeHoss
11-10-2007, 11:26 AM
How does the video say that Donzi got its name? As I recall it was Don's Secretary who gave Donzi the name. She use to call him Donzi. Is that what the video shows, I can't see it cause its blocked at work.

chappy
11-10-2007, 11:34 AM
Morris Levy, buddy of Don's in the music biz first started using the name referring to Don.

Rich

DudeHoss
11-10-2007, 11:51 AM
OK, Talked with my Father. In late December of 1972 at the Cigarette Factory Don told my father and friends personally that he got the name from his secretary who gave him the pet name "Donzi". She would call out, "Donzi line one." The secretary proceeded to tell them stories of bailing Don out of Jail one night for running a guy off the road in his 2 seater Mercedes. The orgin of the name Donzi can also be verified in the Book "Sea Race"! I am not saying Morris Levy didn't call Don "Donzi". Regardless, Donzi is Don's nickname and was what the boat was named after.

needadonzi
11-10-2007, 12:02 PM
The video states that Donzi was a pet name from one of his girlfriends (which appears to be a common theme). Research on this site http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50317&highlight=donzi+origin claims that the name came from his buddies teasing Don over his decorating skills in a photo shoot with one of his boats. Then there is the secretary story too. I don’t which is the most accurate, but is suspect that there might be a bit of truth in all of them. I might suggest that a moderator post a sticky on the subject, inquiring minds want to know.

chappy
11-10-2007, 12:43 PM
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28703&highlight=morris+levy

Sweet little 16
11-10-2007, 04:04 PM
OK, Talked with my Father. In late December of 1972 at the Cigarette Factory Don told my father and friends personally that he got the name from his secretary who gave him the pet name "Donzi". She would call out, "Donzi line one." The secretary proceeded to tell them stories of bailing Don out of Jail one night for running a guy off the road in his 2 seater Mercedes. The orgin of the name Donzi can also be verified in the Book "Sea Race"! I am not saying Morris Levy didn't call Don "Donzi". Regardless, Donzi is Don's nickname and was what the boat was named after.

So this secretary was at formula in 62- and 63??? according to his Son Michael in Thunderboat row it was morris levy