PDA

View Full Version : 22 Build Questions

boatnut
11-09-2007, 12:01 PM
As I'm sure you guys know, on the '97 Classic 22 the engine area has a platform built over the outside area of the stringers. There is an access port for the engine mount bolts on each side, and two aluminum strips (one on top of the stringer and one near the side of the hull). A few questions:
1) are there drain holes/passages to get water from these areas to the center bilge area? I can't see or feel any but hard to tell with the engine in the way.
2) If the answer to 1 is no, should some be added?
3) Is the purpose of this platform just to mount things on, or is it part of the flotation built into the boat? (hard for me to believe there is sufficient flotation in this hull but maybe positive flotation was not a design point??)
4) If the aluminum strips are removed, can the platform top be removed?
I prefer the way the '69 18' is built with access everywhere --- but of course that was prior to flotation laws etc.
Thks, Ed

gcarter
11-09-2007, 01:06 PM
It's been my experience that there is insufficient drainage in these boats.
I would suggest that if you ever pull the engine to replace a coupler or what ever, to use a hole saw to drill a 1 3/8" dia. hole on both the port and stbd side at the bottom of the stringers, and parallel to the hull bottom at the transom. Then you can either seal the hole w/epoxy or (what I like) is to epoxy in a piece of thin wall 1" thin wall PVC pipe (sch. 10 I think). the wall of the pipe is thin enough to carve a bit to make the ends flush w/ the stringers.
I like to be able to stick a garden hose in the hull anywhere and the drain holes keep up w/the flow. As they come from Donzi, they won't do this.
I've never had one w/the shelves in the stern, but I think they're there for utility only, for instance, I know they removed they battery box from under the rear seat, so it (or they) had to go somewhere.

RickR
11-09-2007, 01:08 PM
#1 Yes
#2 N/A
#3 Flotation is not required by law for a 22. In my opinion my 95 22 Classic would sink like a rock.
#4 If aluminum is removed, fiberglass panels can be lifted out exposing the sole which feels to me like it is made with some kind of core material.

MOP
11-09-2007, 02:01 PM
Under those platforms is many times a muck hole due to lack of proper ventilation, There should be a couple of fair sized holes through the top side for air circulation!

boatnut
11-10-2007, 10:21 AM
My '97 doesn't seem to have drain holes from the area under these platforms to the center/bilge area. I've also received info from another '97 owner that confirmed that. (My '69 with the entire stringer area open has proper drainage. I guess "Donzi" figured if they put a cover over the area they didn't have to drain it???) I guess I have to figure out how to get some drainage which will be difficult without removing the engine. Water clearly gets trapped in there. It makes one wonder how many other basic boat building rules have been violated in these boats?? How many other areas are not drained and/or not venilated?? Kind of sad. I guess as a quick temporary fix I can leave the eng mount bolt access covers off for venilation. When I added some forward cleats, I carefully over sized and sealed the holes with epoxy etc. etc. Now I guess it is best to assume that none of the deck or transom fastners etc. were properly sealed (to keep moisture out of core material). I am correct in assuming that the bottom of these later 22's are solid glass, correct? It is great to have this forum to get the correct info and to have a shoulder to cry on. Oh well, we all agree they are great boats, but it seems that through all the ownership and employee transitions they lost focus on the details at times. (In the back of mind I'm thinking the engine should come out of this boat etc. etc. etc., but if the project goes over 8 hours it will probably exceed my annual usage :bonk: .) Ed