PDA

View Full Version : Hdtv

DonziJon
11-08-2007, 06:16 PM
Yesterday: Just bought a Sony LCD 40" 1080p (KDL40V3000) HDTV. It looks FABULOUS.......So far: just in SD. This is compared to a 1987 Sony Trinitron 27" Tube...which this LCD replaces,...which BTW still works fine.

NOW: I need to find an HD source. We have had DirectTV for a little over five years. Doing a little research today, Direct TV has come a long way since then. TIVO is gone? The replacement for TIVO seems to be ..well...NOT as good. My info on this comes from the DirecTV FORUM. http://forums.directv.com/pe/action/forums/defaultview?msgBoardID=10100103

Has anyone had any recent experience with "Upgrading" to HD?? ....DirecTV..or any other? Regards: JOHN :nilly:

justleft
11-08-2007, 06:31 PM
Yea, we did DirectTV HD. The HD is just incredible.

(Ummm, some detail is just too much, nasal hair, pimples.....)

The Tivo clone is getting better with each software download.
(via the sat dish now, no phone line)

But you still can't watch HD while recording another HD program w/o
stuttering.

Oh yea, the HD is magic !!!

Mac
11-08-2007, 07:06 PM
I have Verizon FIOS HD and Comcast HD, both about the same, pretty limited programming, the Comcast menu system is a little better, though I prefer the Verizon DVR. Verizon FIOS is cheaper with phone and Internet, Internet speed is better and always the same with FIOS, not so with Comcast, when the kids get out of school everything slows down.

Ranman
11-08-2007, 08:56 PM
We went form a stand alone Tivo to DirecTV DVR. The DVR is not as good as Tivo, but it's not bad and is getting better. The only thing I miss is Tivo's very smart auto-rewind that takes you back a few seconds when going from super fast forward to playing the show. I don't have HD yet, but am happy with DirecTV. I think they now have over 100 HD channels to boot.

zelatore
11-09-2007, 09:29 AM
I recently did almost the exact change you did. From a 32" '90s Trinitron to a 52" Sharp - Unbelievable difference!

I'm also running a DirecTV with Tivo and yes, they've dropped the association with Tivo. When Rupert Murdock bought DTV a few years ago he already had a DVR company in his fold, so he punted Tivo and added his in-house stuff. From what I've seen, not nearly as good.

I plan to upgrade all my equipment to HD around Christmas; I'm assuming that's when things will be on sale. In the meantime, I suggest you take a look at www.weaknees.com - they offer tons of hot-rodded DTV gear and can find just about anything you might want. I've bought stuff from them before and they seem to be helpfull and they know the gear well.

DonziJon
11-09-2007, 07:30 PM
Went to Best Buy today to look at "Stuff", and talk to more people: (Maybe kiss some babies) Some sales people there are pretty savy. Trying to clarify DirecTV offers ..HD..DVR. Getting there slowly. Not sure I need this just yet.

NEW PROBLEM: Saw a Sony A/V ...is that the right term?
A Sony 5.1 Blue Ray (complient) Sound (Home theatre) system. (HTSS-2000) $399 list..$350 at Best Buy. I'm sure I can get it cheaper at......my source.

My current sound "System" is not a "System" at all. It's a 20+ year old cheapie amplifier coupled with a pair of very nice "Very Elderly" (Model 17?)KLH speakers. Say 1967. What's wrong with that?:nilly: They work fine.....but of course they are NOT up to date.

I never knew I "needed" a better system until ....this week..when I bought a Freakin BIG HDTV. OH The Humanities!! :bonk:

My wife said she thinks she gets seasick when she looks at HD in the store. From the old days when we were into offshore sail boats... she KNOWS what seasick is. We got the DONZI so she wouldn't get seasick. What's a mother to do??? I'm a lost soul. John

vonkamp
11-09-2007, 07:54 PM
I just made that HD leap too. I got the Sony 40S3000 after lots of research. Heres a good forum for TV & such.

http://www.avsforum.com/

Heres a thread for the kdl40V3000. Lots of good information and tips & tricks.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=847094

Tony
11-09-2007, 07:59 PM
Whatever you do, buy your hdmi cables from this site: monoprice.com (http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp)

Read the forums...they all say that the $80 - $100 "Monster" cables the big box stores try to peddle are NO DIFFERENT than the $4 - $12 items at monoprice! Unbelievable hype, and mark-up, on peripherals such as HDMI cables and such.

I bought a 42" Sharp Aqquos and love it. Not wanting to mess with a living room full of unwieldly wires and speakers, I'm looking at a more convenient setup like the ones featured in this summary review. (http://reviews.cnet.com/4370-6466_7-170-107.html)

During my search it was pretty well accepted by those "in the know" that, for LCD HDTV, you could not go wrong with Sony (especially the Bravia, although very pricey), Sharp, or Samsung.

Let us know what you decide on...

tom freeman
11-09-2007, 08:05 PM
best picture... BLU RAY DVD w/HDMI to a 1080p Tv
next best... Off air ATSC reception, limited to networks, pbs now but great sports

Directv and cable both compress signals and up convert but good programming

DISH has the best programming, they bought VOOM, reception is same as DirectvTV

Tivo just came out with a 299 HD DVR, that is pretty nice. Comcast DVR's are real nice you can record 2 channels and play back a third. Dish has a really cool DVR with a portable attachment with its own LCD. Directv DVR's are expensive.

the cheapest best picture is ATSC with a TIVO, but it is limited. Comcast is simple and not weather affected and no outside dish... Diretv is 5LNB's now.

Tony
11-09-2007, 08:19 PM
This unit (http://yhst-9301186439366.stores.yahoo.net/zv325hisisus.html) gets nice reviews from PC Magazine, CNet, E-gear, and others.
Plus, it's more reasonably priced than the fancy-assed high-end systems.

pmreed
11-09-2007, 08:45 PM
I've been with Dish for 9 years and picked up their HD package a year ago. Love the 625 HD receiver. It'a DVR with 30 hour HD or ~ 200 hour SD capacity, or a mix of both. A GREAT new upgrade is the ability to connect an external USB hard drive (I picked up a WD 750 Gig) to archive recordings. No more space problems! Lots of beautiful HD, and I get all my local channels in uncompressed HD with my outside antenna.

Phil

McGary911
11-10-2007, 08:07 AM
I bought my 50" plasma about a year ago and love it. Until I sell some stuff, I'm in an apartment down here, so Cable was the easiest way to go. Set up the TV, went to the Comcast place 7 minutes away. +5 bucks a month, got the digital box, and they turned it on before i had the box in my hands. I have about 20 HD channels + the HD on demand. I really like the On Demand stuff. Once I get into a house, i'll look into satellite for sure.

DonziJon
11-10-2007, 12:13 PM
I just made that HD leap too. I got the Sony 40S3000 after lots of research. Heres a good forum for TV & such.
http://www.avsforum.com/
Heres a thread for the kdl40V3000. Lots of good information and tips & tricks.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=847094

Thanks for the links. I just spent about 20 minutes over there. There's over 22 pages of good stuff.. on essentially just ONE TV. I saved to "favorites" and will have to go back and read all the posts later.

The SINGLE most important setting that I veered into with MY set, (I got it Wednesday, 7th) was the "CineMotion" setting that refers to a reverse 3:2 pulldown....whatever that is. This was mentioned over on the link.

I was watching "Firefox" (Clint Eastwood) the other night in SD, because I don't have an HD source yet. The picture was good considering it was only SD, not HD. Snooping around the manual during comercials I saw "CineMotion" and clicked it to AUTO. OFF must be default. The picture went from good to ABSOLUTLY FANTASTIC..Still in SD.

BigGrizzly
11-11-2007, 09:27 AM
I bough a new Samsun at Branssmart last sping and got the the DISH network package and dropped cable, what a change. Had the hd on cable and went to dish and compared them, couldn't believe the dish was better, but it is!!!