PDA

View Full Version : dang, this may be the end!!!

rag top man
11-06-2007, 10:14 PM
My friend's computer only starts in safe mode, give the option to restore the puter toa previously known "healthy time, but wont do that either. instead it doesive this message at the prompt "WINDOWS\sys32\empty\exe
now that sounds bad, but thethe lest time thq thappened o me i did a sucessful reatore to an earlier time, where the pproblem was fixed.
for my friend seems like the woemhas been more damaging.
we boh have Sony vaio computers a gig or so temp with 160+gig hard drives
a cool thing about sony is that hey can ususlly "restored to a previously " known healthy time which seemed to cure my puter . mus be a mirror thing??
a google search ususlly results in a pricy cure$100 or so, is there a cure otherthn to buy a fix-it cd
PLEASE HELP aNYhelp is welcome
glriley@pacbell.net
gregg

Trueser
11-06-2007, 10:24 PM
What virus program are you running?

In safe mode I would back up you docs to a usb drive. Format the machine and start fresh. This is the safest and cleanest way to recover.

And Sony laptops are not that good.

rag top man
11-06-2007, 10:36 PM
on my puter itanti virus was the free version on AVG works great.
my friend was using norton withhout updatews becaues it took too long thru his modem(yeah i know he deserves it!!) no i gotta help
and we would reinstall XP but Sonny comes with it already loaded on the hard drive so no original copy in hand to reinstall it.
hopefulliy i don't need to buy a fresh copy,
but i like your idea
one question :how do i export/copy the 40 gigs of pics on the D drive if the puter thinks sys32is empty, and thus won't do anything, help!!

Trueser
11-06-2007, 11:21 PM
Every machine lately that I fix with problems is running Norton or AVG. Go buy a 2.5 inch usb drive and copy the data over.

MOP
11-07-2007, 06:22 AM
I followed Mikes advice and scrubbed and reloaded my machine over the weekend, it is a ton better but still had one black screen reboot. Got a message back that my anti virus caused it, I reloaded the the AV off the site and so far so good. Could it be they are having to tighten the AV up so much that this may not be the end but just the beginning!

Phil

Trueser
11-07-2007, 06:48 AM
MOp,
If I remember rite you still use AOL. If thats the case you get Mcafee for free.

MOP
11-07-2007, 09:30 AM
MOp,
If I remember rite you still use AOL. If thats the case you get Mcafee for free.

Mike I have been using Computer Associates for as long as they have been around and so far have never been whacked with a bug! As far as AOL picture my finger as far down my throat as I can get it!!!! YUCK read their user agreement about 20 minutes worth, only those that do not take the time to do so use it. It has some very invasive features built in!

Phil

Trueser
11-07-2007, 10:33 AM
Mop,
I would still explore the free copy of Mcafee if I were you.

MOP
11-07-2007, 12:41 PM
Mike I have Mcafee on disc came with the new mother board, I have had such good luck with CA that I am hesitant to switch. I could load it on one of my other machines, if I like it maybe then!

Trueser
11-07-2007, 03:03 PM
Ok MOP

Let me send you an email that will shut your machine down without being caught with your Virus program.

drew0982
11-09-2007, 11:32 AM
What virus program are you running?
In safe mode I would back up you docs to a usb drive. Format the machine and start fresh. This is the safest and cleanest way to recover.
And Sony laptops are not that good.

I definitely agree with this!